Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now
Profile for Jay > Reviews

Content by Jay

Jay (UK)

Adobe Flash CS4 Professional: The Official Training Workbook from Adobe Systems (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
by Adobe Creative Team

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough action on the script, 20 Mar. 2010
Really good book until it gets to the Action Script element. As a superficial user of very old versions of Flash, this was a great catch up with lots of ideas to use straight away. I really need to use Flash to make animations but there will be times when I want to do more, so want to use script too. As has been said before the Action Script element is basic, but at the same time piles in a lot of additional facts in inserts, not really giving you enough contextual explanation. However, triumph of hope over experience, I've ordered the AS3 Classroom in a Book - I liked the format and its got great potential.

Books Unbound: 20 Innovative Bookmaking Projects
Books Unbound: 20 Innovative Bookmaking Projects
by Michael Jacobs

3.0 out of 5 stars books unravelling, 1 Feb. 2009
I bought this book along with Expressive Handmade Books by Alisa Golden because I needed to make a special book for a photography project. I'm a novice bookbinder although a relatively competent craftsperson, and found that this really wasn't the book that I needed - maybe the subtitle '20 innovative bookmaking projects' should have told me that.

It's written by a grandmaster paper sculptor who can't resist putting an additional layer of bells and whistles on almost everything that he does. There is a tassled criss-cross book which comprises four minibooks on a single base, a piano hinge diary with interchangable journals, a pyramid of matchbox drawers for tiny books and - the magnum opus - wire and bead dangling structures. This creates some beautiful and invariably interesting sculptures and art objects. For me the 'bookness' often becomes lost in the complexity of the finished articles.

I'm sure that this will be great to delve into on wet Sunday afternoons, or to look to for inspiration when packaging other paper scupture projects. When I want to make books to be read and written in I'll be using Golden's Expressive Handmade Books.

Expressive Handmade Books
Expressive Handmade Books
by Alisa Golden

4.0 out of 5 stars Bookbinding unbound, 1 Feb. 2009
I bought this book because I needed to make a special book for a college photo project in a hurry. It didnt't help much with undertaking a very specific task but has proved fun and useful in a wider context.

It has detailed instructions for making several basic types of books, as well as some more complex and decorative projects. In a couple of days since getting the book I've made a proper case bound book with sewn folios, an accordion book and a nice little one sheet book with an origami envelope.

Every stage of each set of instructions is fully and helpfully illustrated, but its most annoying feature is that every step is also spelled out in complete sentences padding the text out to no great purpose.

The content of some of the projects may also be a bit touchy feely for the average brit, but I have quickly found myself falling into the sentimental memory syndrome too - so be warned.

Vitamin P: New Perspectives in Painting
Vitamin P: New Perspectives in Painting
by Barry Schwabsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply seminal, 16 April 2008
Summary : a fantastic resource illustrating and discussing a huge range of contemporary paintings, painting styles and painters

Reviewer : aging fine art student

I love this book and refer to it constantly. It is a treasure trove of images with comprehensive information about each painter and her or his work. The narratives, contributed by international artists, critics, curators and academics, cover influences and statements about the paintings as well as biographical information.

It's definitely a fairly detailed reference work rather than a coffee table book (if you want something to leave open looking trendy and knowledgeable something like Hoptman's 'Eight Propositions' might be a better buy). As a large, thick, heavy paperback I find it doesn't lie open well. The text is dense in a tiny font, making it quite difficult to browse, although the layout is attractive and the images large and very well reproduced.

I put off getting this for some time wanting to make sure that the books that I bought were those that I would enjoy and use regularly. I find that I go back to it several times a day at the moment for themes, research, techniques and the language of the current art scene. Sounds like its time I got a new book - but this really is a seminal work and exceptional value for money.