Profile for Mallen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Guaranteed
Guaranteed
Offered by dutchtoni

4.0 out of 5 stars Accomplished album from the masters of jazz funk, 14 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Guaranteed (Audio CD)
Ill come clean here - I'm a Level 42 fan and a fan mainly of their early work. I first bought "Pursuit of Accidents" and quickly backed that up with "Level 42" and "The Early Tapes" and was pretty happy with those and a rather too big collection of 12" singles and the like.

At a recent gig, Level 42 played Guaranteed and it got me thinking as I had always liked the track and wondered if there were other tracks on the album I'd like. Well - there are, and its a lovely album of interesting work and excellent playing. The Gould brothers were not involved with this album but Willy B and the new band members provide a different perspective or Mark King to play off.

I sat down and played the album right through and put it on again. Guaranteed is a very good "radio track" but as one of the other reviewers said, the basic tunes are good enough that they ought to have more radio play.

Fans were they probably were not as slow as me on the uptake and for non fans, its worth owning and enjoying a different take on Level 42, there are clear influences from outside "jazz - funk" - indeed one reviewer suggested an almost country tone on "My fathers shoes".

MOLDEX MelLows Disposable Earplugs SNR 22dB Pack of 20 Pairs PPE
MOLDEX MelLows Disposable Earplugs SNR 22dB Pack of 20 Pairs PPE
Offered by Breathe and Sleep Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fitting ear plug, 14 Jun. 2015
Very easy to use and comfortable in ear. I wanted these for motorcycling, but they don't with the combination of screen and my helmet provide enough protection. If your combination is quieter they may well be perfect as you can hear more of the engine note and what is around you than with 35dB plugs

I now use these for sleeping and they are perfect.

The fit is for medium large ears, those with smaller ear canals would need to look at other ear plugs

Swimming goggles with Anti Fog Technology That Lasts for Women and Men - For Adults and Kids - Mirror 100% UV Protection Lenses - 180 Degree Wide Angle Vision - Packaged in Premium Goggle Case - 100% Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee - FREE Ergonomic Silicone Earplugs Included (Blue)
Offered by Structure Sport

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality goggles, 14 Jun. 2015
Good quality item, easy to change nose pieces, no leaks on first use. Fit is a personal thing - but the fit is very dependent upon the nose piece width and may take a couple of tried to get right

Romance And Cigarettes [DVD]
Romance And Cigarettes [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Gandolfini

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivers in the end..., 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Romance And Cigarettes [DVD] (DVD)
I'm glad I carried on through the first 20 minutes. The start does not serve the film well, but the whole package is well worth sitting through. I'm not one for heart warming film, well not often, but this touched me more than expected. The unusual presentation and style is worth watching just to see the great performances, led by Kate Winslet who was astonishing.

The story isn't new, wife or mistress, life in focus due to mortality, etc etc, the ship sinks (joke - ok) but the manner in which the story is told and what is asked of and delivered by the actors makes is a must view

Just don't give up after 20 mins

Together We Stand: North Africa 1942-1943: Turning the Tide in the West: Britain, America and the War in North Africa, May 1942-May 1943
by James Holland

4.0 out of 5 stars Winning and losing in North Africa, 6 Jan. 2015
Wanted a detailed book that covered a family member's service in North Africa. The writer provides an excellent history of the war in North Africa and details many of the horrors and deficiencies in equipment and thinking that probably delayed victory in this theatre of war.

Not an easy read in places, but certainly easy to read in terms of style.

Recommended

Home Made Silicone Thermo Spoon
Home Made Silicone Thermo Spoon
Offered by pcltech

4.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, almost well executed, 6 Jan. 2015
Wanted an easy way of making sweets and the like and liked the idea of a combined spoon and thermometer. The spoon worked really well for making fudge, easy to read temperature, up to the point when I had to beat the mix whilst it cooled. The only downside is that for beating fudge, the spoon was not really quite up to it and I was concerned about damaging the spoon and probe. That said, a cheap wooden or plastic spoon is easily substituted once the required temperature is reached.

THERAPEARL Knee Wrap with Strap | Hot Cold Therapy | Gel Bead Heat Ice Pack | Freezer Microwave
Offered by Gelpacksdirect™

4.0 out of 5 stars Ice pack for the knee that works, 7 Sept. 2014
I needed this following a knee op - I needed ice after my rehab exercises

It fits pretty well, freezes fast, but still soft enough to mould. You will need to play around with the fit - as its frozen - it won't necessarily sit on the parts you wish to cool. I used my heel on the other leg to help push it onto the areas I needed. - until it softened up a little. The velcro strap could be better designed - but it does the job

Better than peas or a bag of crushed ice ? Well, its way more convenient - and I'd recommend

Not used it for heat

Schluckwerder Marzipan Bars 100 g (Pack of 10)
Schluckwerder Marzipan Bars 100 g (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Snack, 3 Aug. 2014
This is a relatively inexpensive product and should judged as such. I use these as energy bars when skiing as they don't go hard when its cold and provide a mix of instant and longer tern energy. There are other premium products which may well be "better" but for the money - there are just the job for what I want from them

Sink Or Swim
Sink Or Swim
Offered by HANG LOOSE Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Singer Songwriter, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Sink Or Swim (Audio CD)
Music that is fresh and right up my street - if you like The Pierces - this may well float your boat

My Name is Daphne Fairfax: A Memoir
My Name is Daphne Fairfax: A Memoir
by Arthur Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting account of stand up and like in the smoke, 28 April 2014
Ok, I admit to being a fan, and probably a fellow "grumpy old man". The book is an honest account of Arthur's life and loves and the comedy circuit. Its just very funny in places and I was sorry to reach the end. I enjoyed feeling like I got an insight to what makes the guy tick and is parts may well prove to be a good guide to "blokes" for anyone who wants to know.

Charming and funny and touching

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5