Profile for John-HP > Reviews

John-HP

Wanted On Voyage (Deluxe) [Explicit]
Wanted On Voyage (Deluxe) [Explicit]

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice album, 30 Oct. 2014
The man`s got a good voice for sure, although he goes a bit off key during the slow part of Cassy O, quite a few of the tracks, as is common with a lot of songs these days consist of lyric lines being repeated over and over again which can get a bit irritating, but overall this is a nice album but nothing more than that.
`Did you hear the rain ?` is the stand out track for me, while `Spectacular Rival` reminds me very much of a group I used to listen to called Dead Can Dance. Don`t get me wrong George is a young man and this is a fine debut album but I reserve 5 stars for outstanding albums not for albums that are just `good`.

SIZE 9-12 OVERSHOE SNOW AND ICE GRIPS WINTER OUTDOOR NEW
SIZE 9-12 OVERSHOE SNOW AND ICE GRIPS WINTER OUTDOOR NEW
Offered by Rush it uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Secure and stable, 9 Dec. 2012
Need to spend a few minutes getting them to fit properly but once on they seem more secure than others I`ve tried, also they seem quite stable on a hard floor unlike the others, I think I could walk around a supermarket with these on so no need to take them off when entering the store ( easy ) and put them back on ( a bit trickier ) when leaving the store.
I take 9 to 9 1/2 shoe size so I bought the large size ( 9 - 12 ), they fit nicely on my normal shoes and also on my walking shoes with a bit of stretching.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars No regrets about buying it, 20 Nov. 2011
My PC :- About 3 years old

Wndows Vista
Intel Quad-Core 2.40 Ghz - 4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Like everyone else I was really looking forward to Skyrim but when I read some of the negative reviews on Amazon I was thinking maybe I would delay buying it for 2 or 3 months until it had been patched.
Then I decided I had to find out for myself so went ahead and bought it. I already had a Steam account so installation was a doddle, just had to wait about 20 minutes while it downloaded an update.So what is the game like ?.
I've only played a few hours so this is my initial impressions.

To be honest the problems are not as bad as I feared, there is a slight time lag on the mouse pointer, ( if you alter the ' Look Sensitivity ' settings in the game options menu you can make it a bit better ), the mouse problem is more noticeable when using the in game menus but you can use the in game movement keys ( W.A.S.D ) + ENTER to move around and select things in the menu system, it's not ideal but it's OK when you get used to it.
The combat is similar but slightly better than Oblivion in my opinion, I've not had to fight any dragons yet but I've killed a few animals and bandits etc, you feel the impact more when you ' hit ' or ' block '.
I've only travelled a short distance in the game and at first I felt a bit ' closed in ' by the scenery as it's all hills and mountains but as I reached a place called Whiterun the landscape opened up and the scenery and attention to detail is very impressive.
The in game map is not far short of useless ( I keep thinking any day now Bethesda will announce ' sorry guys, it was just our little practical joke, here is the real map ! ' ). It's OK for fast travelling but it's not easy to see the actual route to a particular place, there is also a paper map supplied with the DVD, although it's not very detailed.
Some other reviewers have reported crashes but up to now ( touch wood ) I've not had any problems with game stability.

I'll have to finish now as I want to get back to Skyrim, yes I have got sucked into it as I did with Oblivion.
If you enjoyed Oblivion and are in two minds about Skyrim I would say go ahead and get it, I'm sure before long there will be patches to make it even better, in the meantime if you persevere at the beginning, I'm sure like me you'll find yourself getting hooked.

By the way - you don't have to be online to play the game. If you launch Steam from Start Menu / All Programs / Steam - and click on the Steam menu at the top of the window just select ' Go Offline ' , you can then launch Skyrim and play offline which is what I do.

Christy Moore's Come All You Dreamers - Live At Barrowland [DVD]
Christy Moore's Come All You Dreamers - Live At Barrowland [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christy Moore With Declan Sinnott

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Concert !, 18 July 2011
Looking through the TV guide one night I noticed this concert by Christy Moore on BBC and decided to give it a watch, being unfamiliar with his music. I enjoyed it so much I thought I'd see if it was available on DVD and found it on Amazon.
This is the same concert but with some additional tracks that were left out of the BBC version. This is a great performance from Christy, and Declan Sinnot provides some lovely guitar work. The only songs that I new were - Pity The Poor Immigrant by Bob Dylan - Beeswing by Richard Thompson and A Pair Of Brown Eyes by Shane McGowen but having played the DVD several times now all the other songs have become familiar favourites.
A good variety of songs, some slow some fast and great shots of the audience clearly enjoying every minute of it.
So buy the DVD, put it in your DVD player, pour yourself a drink and sit back and enjoy 2 hours 14 minutes of superb entertaintment.

WebSite X5 Evolution 8 (PC CD)
WebSite X5 Evolution 8 (PC CD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Might be good if it would let me install it !, 18 Dec. 2010
During the installation process you are taken online to register - this involves entering your
name, email address and a password - easy enough. Reading the info on the webpage it
says an unlock code has been sent to your email address. I checked my email and there
was no unlock code. Delving into the info a bit more it said that on certain versions of
Website X5 an email would not be sent, but I could retreive the unlock code by logging on
and clicking on the `License` tab. I did this and it kept taking me back to their Help Centre
home page.
I tried clicking on help & support which just took me to a forum & FAQ page, I found a link for
`unlock code` and that took me back to the Help Centre home page.
The worst part is there is no way to contact them by phone or email, I tried clicking on
Technical Support and guess what, back to the Help Centre page !.
For a company selling web design software I have to say that their website is one of the
worst I`ve been on, talk about going round in circles !.
I did a google search and it seems a few people have had similar problems and are frustrated
by having no means of contacting Incomedia to resolve the problem.
And they wonder why people go for pirated software !.
BUY WITH CAUTION !!

Lady's Bridge
Lady's Bridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Can`t stop playing it !, 29 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Lady's Bridge (Audio CD)
I bought this album after playing the 30 second samples on Amazon, being unfamiliar with Richard Hawley`s work. I must admit I was a little unsure when I first heard it, but it grabbed me enough for me to want to replay it. After half a dozen plays I was hooked, it`s been on constant play in my car ever since. This is one infectious album - and would definately be one of my Desert Island Discs, in the company of the likes of The Beatles, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen - Yes, it`s that good !.

Fallout 3 (PC)
Fallout 3 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Oblivion with Assault Rifles !, 15 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Fallout 3 (PC) (Video Game)
I`ve spent many many hours playing a game called Oblivion, and often thought it would be great to play a similar game in a modern setting with modern weapons. Well, here it is.
Like Oblivion you can follow the main quest, which, from what I`ve read is quiet short, or you can do as I like to do, just go off wandering around exploring and occasionally going back to the main quest.
Like Oblivion you gain experience and level-up as you go through the game, and you can find many sub-quests by talking to people. However there is one BIG difference to Oblivion. In all the time I`ve played Oblivion it has only crashed a handful of times, Fallout 3 crashes for fun.
I did a search on Google and found that many people are having the same problem. There are various solutions suggested but some work for some people and not for others, I`ve updated my drivers and tried a few fixes without success.
I can only assume that Bethesda`s Quality Control were on holiday when this was released.

It`s a shame because this is a brilliant game, the voice overs are more varied than Oblivion and the way the developers have created a post nuclear war landscape is superb, looking around in the middle of a ruined town or city is quiet eerie.

To sum up, a game that is well worth buying. Hopefully Bethesda will bring out a patch to address the crashing problem, just remember while you are playing to keep hitting the F5 key ( quick save ).

Microsoft Fingerprint Reader, USB Interface
Microsoft Fingerprint Reader, USB Interface

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 22 Sept. 2007
I previously gave this a poor review because it seemed inconsistent, it didn`t work more often than it did work. However I deleted my registered fingerprints and re-registered them ( this only takes a few minutes ) and since then it has performed much better. You go on a website where you normally enter a username/password, place your finger on the pad and up pops a box for you to fill in the relevant details, it then remembers these and the next time you go on the website it puts an icon in the corner to tell you to put your finger on the pad, and then fills in the boxes for you. Most times it works on the first attempt, occasionally the second or third attempt. You can still type in your details if you don`t want to use the pad.

Dear Heather
Dear Heather

5.0 out of 5 stars Majestic, 8 April 2005
This review is from: Dear Heather (Audio CD)
I only own a few Leonard Cohen albums, ` I`m Your Man - The Future - Cohen Live `, I prefer his later work to most of his earlier albums, although some of his earlier songs are absolute jems. Cohen`s latest album ` Dear Heather ` is quirky, mesmerising and I would even say innovative. On some tracks Cohen is singing ( sort of ) on some he`s talking and in parts almost whispering, but this combined with the superb vocals of Sharon Robinson and Anjani Thomas is just entrancing.Other reviewers have detailed the tracks, so I`ll just say this. The first time you listen to this album you may be tempted to turn it off, but if you don`t, and you play it another 3 or 4 times, you may tune in to one of the most beautiful and majestic albums you will ever hear. The only negative comment I would make is the odd inclusion of an apparently 20 year old live track at the end of the album, a rendition of Tennesse Waltz, which in itself is not bad, but seems totally out of place. Anyway you can always just play the first 12 tracks like I do. If you want an album to unwind to late in the evening, you will not find a better album than ` Dear Heather `.

Concert For George [DVD] [2003]
Concert For George [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Joe Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars My Desert Island DVD, 26 Jan. 2004
To anyone thinking of buying this DVD, all I can say is BUY IT !. You won`t regret it.
I must have watched it about 7 or 8 times since I bought it a couple of months ago.

Disc One is the concert as it was performed and Disc Two is the same songs in a different order with snippets of interviews in between.The concert begins with about 45 minutes of Indian music. I don`t like some Indian music I have heard but this is just lovely, a piece composed for the
occasion by Ravi Shankar that brilliantly combines Indian and Western musicians.There is then an interlude in which some of the Monty Python team come on to do a couple of comedy songs, ( The Lumberjack Song performed with great gusto by Michael Palin and the Mounties ).

Then on comes Eric Clapton, Andy Fairweather-Lowe, Gary Brooker, Billy Preston etc to perform one great George song after another. I was going to list all the songs and give them ratings but there is no point because all the performances are at least good, some are great and one in particular is just sublime - Something - started by McCartney on the Ukelele and then joined by the rest of the band.

Various people take the lead on different songs, Sam Brown, Billy Preston, Joe Brown, Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Ringo, McCartney etc and they all do the songs justice.
There are no mawkish " how wonderful George was " speeches, but there is a warmth that surrounds the whole show, just a bunch of musicians and singers paying a heartfelt tribute to their friend in the best way possible, by performing his songs ( and doing so brilliantly ).

The whole concert ( 2 hrs 26 mins ) is a joy, the music, the camera work, I`m tempted to say this is a perfect music DVD.All I can say to the people who organised and performed the concert is Thank You, you have given us a DVD to treasure.
And all I can say to the people who were in the audience is - you were privileged indeed !.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2012 9:13 AM BST