Profile for Marcus > Reviews

Marcus (United Kingdom)

Wining and Dining - The Sediment Guide to Wine and the Dinner-Party
Wining and Dining - The Sediment Guide to Wine and the Dinner-Party

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 29 May 2015
As I skipped merrily through this little pamphlet, I wasn't sure whether I was reading it partly for information and instruction or entirely for sheer entertainment. Whilst I learnt a thing or two along the way, it was the lines that elicited from me ungainly snorts of amusement for which I am most grateful, the snorts serving as as ringing an endorsement, literally, as I think I can give.

adidas Precision 8 Badminton Racket - Orange/Silver
adidas Precision 8 Badminton Racket - Orange/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 21 May 2014
I know next to nothing about badminton, but have enjoyed playing with this racket for a while now and it seems perfect for a beginner like me.

Amazon Kindle Micro USB Data Transfer PC Cable
Amazon Kindle Micro USB Data Transfer PC Cable
Offered by Audiotrader

2.0 out of 5 stars In this case you get what you pay for, 21 May 2014
I was happy with the cable when it arrived and quickly ordered a second as you can never have too many around. It seems as long and strong as the leading brand of toilet paper and worked just fine at first, but I very soon found that it wouldn't charge some devices at all, and others only intermittently and with the aid of a little wiggling. I guess poor built quality had resulted in a crappy connection on which you simply can't rely. Shame.

6 x Plain White (logo free) Special Quality Table Tennis Balls. 40mm.
6 x Plain White (logo free) Special Quality Table Tennis Balls. 40mm.
Offered by Simply Direct ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars All-round awful, except they're not round, 27 April 2014
These balls are about as thick and evenly surfaced as egg-shells and about as bouncy as paper. Yes they're super cheap but since they are totally useless, they're still a terrific waste of money.

East is East / West is West Double Pack [Blu-ray]
East is East / West is West Double Pack [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Om Puri
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars East is East disc doesn't work. Review for this package not the films themselves, 28 Jan. 2014
I'm having the same problem as another reviewer. The West is West disc works fine in my bluray drive, as do all the other bluray discs I've ever purchased but the East is East disc isn't recognised. I upgraded the firmware on my LG BH10LS30 drive from v1 to v1.2 but to no effect. Returning for a refund.

Samsung Battery Charger/Stand with Battery for Galaxy S3
Samsung Battery Charger/Stand with Battery for Galaxy S3
Offered by TOTAL ACCESSORIES

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple bit of kit. Great value., 25 Oct. 2012
Does exactly what it says on the tin. You get a battery and a charger to charge it in for a very good price. I don't find the stand particularly useful myself, but I did look before buying to see if it would charge the phone in the stand at the same time as the spare battery, which as many other people have also pointed out, it won't. The disgruntled reviewers are annoyed at their misapprehensions about the product, which they could have avoided simply by reading the description.

When I Loved Myself Enough
When I Loved Myself Enough
by Kim Mcmillen

1.0 out of 5 stars Inane, insipid, self-indulgent and more than a bit loopy, 19 April 2012
Please do not make the mistake I made of taking the 5* reviews on trust. Use the Look Inside feature to see what a frightful load of old rubbish this volume contains before you consider buying a copy.

From my scan of the description and the other reviews, I imagined this to be a work of continuous prose that would be thought-provoking, encouraging and insightful and with some grounding in reality. I was grossly mistaken. I don't know whether the leaf on the front cover is supposed to indicate the plant whose psychotropic properties inpired the author to pen this drivel, but I shall be wary of anything that bears a resemblance just in case.

Each page begins with the title of the work and continues with either a fantastically tedious platitude or a self-indulgent pronouncement of no substance, much less any message. Some examples:

When I loved myself enough, I was able to be treated to a $50 haircut and enjoy every minute of it.
When I loved myself enough, I saw beyond right and wrong and became neutral. At first I thought this was indifference; now I see the clarity that comes with neutrality.
When I loved myself enough, I began buying a hostess fruit pie for the teenager in me who loved them so. Once in a while, cherry.
When I loved myself enough, I could feel God in me and see God in you. That makes us divine. Are you ready for that?

What insufferable nonsense. Far from the 'peace and quiet joy' that the book's description suggests I should feel on reading these words, I've experienced only annoyance, disappointment and indignation at having been duped into paying for a volume of such meaningless claptrap.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2016 8:21 PM GMT

Meeting Mr Kim: How I Went to Korea and Learned to Love Kimchi: Or How I Went to Korea and Learned to Love Kimchi
by Jennifer Barclay

5.0 out of 5 stars Lively and enjoyable account of one woman's discovery of Korea, 31 July 2011
I am leaving this review because I loved reading this book but also because I find some of the negative reviews here both puzzling and frustrating. Some of my points respond to the criticisms they contain.

Barclay does not profess to know everything there is to know about Korea, and in this book she does not attempt to give the reader evenly balanced views on the country or its people. What she does is earnestly to recount her personal story of being dropped into a world very different from anything she has known before. It seems only natural to me that she would find the people, the food and the customs she encountered intriguing and exotic. Throughout the book, it is her excitement and at times bemusement at the foreignness of Korea that makes Barclay's book such an engaging read.

Far from being pallid, I found Barclay's descriptions of her journey to be quite vivid. I am of Korean and English parentage and have visited Korea several times. I am keen to return but do not have the means at present, so in the meantime I must be content with cooking Korean food, watching Korean films and studying the language. Reading Barclay's book was a nice interlude between my last visit to Korea and the next, and it evoked in me both feelings of nostalgia as I read about the familiar, and feelings of envy as I read about her more unusual encounters and the places she describes that I've not yet had the opportunity to visit.

Meeting Mr Kim gives the reader a great insight into one view of Korea and it is one with which many will be able to identify: that of a European woman who happens to be middle-class. Far from being imperialistic, the author is merely candid in sharing her frustrations in Korea as well as her delight. Some of those are about her particular circumstances rather than about the country itself, and her overall feelings about Korea are clear. The book is brimming with enthusiasm and praise for its cuisine, landscapes and people. Her eagerness that others should discover and enjoy all that Korea has to offer is surely a large part of what drove her to write this book.

You won't become an authority on Korea by reading this book, but it does make a very accessible and enjoyable introduction that offers an insight into what it is possible for a traveller in Korea to encounter. Barclay's story is interspersed with just enough information about Korean history and culture to give you a little context, and more likely than not, you'll reach the end wanting to plan your own trip to Korea, or at the very least wanting to find out more about this beautiful and fascinating country.

Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000 - Black Pearl
Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000 - Black Pearl

1.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless wireless. Waste of money., 30 May 2011
For me the feel, shape and weight of the mouse are all fine and I was attracted by the claims of 6-month battery life. Unfortuntely, the USB receiver is a large unsightly grey plastic lump on a half-meter cable that needs to be placed close to the mouse for it to operate.

The real problem is that my mouse is only 60cm from where the receiver rests on my desk and yet I frequently have problems with it not picking up my clicks or movements. I feel stupid for wasting my money on this piece of junk, even if it was cheap.