Profile for dan dread > Reviews

Content by dan dread

dan dread (uk)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars great quality ink, 5 Jun. 2012
I use this ink with a fine brush to do comics linework and other graphics, it's my first experience with decent quality India ink and I have to say I'm very impressed. It dries very quickly and produces a very solid black line with minimal grey tones or the washed-out look that you get from lesser materials. Just what I needed.

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
by Bobby Henderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Jan. 2009
I love the idea of FSM and Pastafarianism. The website is hilarious. However I found this book pretty disappointing. I ordered it to give to my mum for Christmas but luckily had a quick read before I wrapped it and found some of the humor really childish and forced. It reads like a book based on a great idea, for which the author was given a huge advance to knock it out like a gimmicky product. It's a shame, because parts are really original and funny, but then you run into a large patch of toilet humor and start to wonder about the target audience.

After a few pages I stopped wanting to give it to my mum. Now it's hanging around my room at uni still in its packaging and I'm not sure what to do with it.

Without trying to be condescending, you should reconsider if you think you have a mature sense of humor. Try and get hold of a copy just to read a bit and then decide. You never know, you might love it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2013 7:26 PM BST

Across a Wire
Across a Wire
Offered by Leisurezone

3.0 out of 5 stars technically good, but..., 20 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Across a Wire (Audio CD)
i love counting crows, especially the first and second albums. there's a raw, honest emotion to them that seems to have left the crows' more recent effort, hard candy. the disillusion i felt with the band's latest work left me wanting a return to the good old days, so when i discovered this early live album and read the rave reviews on amazon i bought it on spec with great anticipation.

and fair's fair. a lot of work and talent went into this. it is a testament to counting crows that they are able to incorporate so much improvisation into a live show and still stay tight. but i feel that in doing so they have bypassed much of what makes the crows such a hugely listenable band. the massive amount of technically excellent improvised reworking of rhythm and melody has rendered their best and catchiest songs such as 'mr jones' and 'angels of the silences' nearly unrecognisable and frustratingly hard to follow. sometimes it works, but more often it doesn't, and by the end of the second disc i was wondering why they were trying to fix what most definitely was not broken in the first place.