Profile for Anthony Williams > Reviews

Content by Anthony Williams

Anthony Williams "tony9" (Bath UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Alphabet Game (Asian heat Book 2)
The Alphabet Game (Asian heat Book 2)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 27 May 2014
This is a fun book which you won't take seriously. the ending is great and will leave you with a feeling of wonder.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Lens
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Lens
Price: 949.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My best lens, 27 May 2014
I bought this lens having sold a Nikon 80-200mm F2.8 which although giving fantastic images when mounted on a tripod was hopeless out in the field taking hand held pictures of wild life. A 70-200mm F2.8 was considered but I needed a lens I could use in the back of a vehicle or walking through the African bush. I bought the 70-200mm F4 and haven't regretted it for a minute. This lens is reasonably light weight and at F4 gives the most stunning images when attached to my D700 where with ISO set at auto it will take images in the dark.
I dont pretend to be good but I know a good image when I see one and this lens is the 'tops'. If you want this range then buy this lens as it is a great one.

Schoffel Oakham Fleece Gilet
Schoffel Oakham Fleece Gilet
Offered by CountryHouseOutdoor Next Day Delivery Available
Price: 92.21 - 124.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 9 Jan 2014
I first reviewed this fleece on Amazon but eventually bought mine in a shop in Bath which happens to be a Schoffel distributor. Like so many clothing products, sizing varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and while I am normally a 40" chest size, the Schoffel products are cut on the large size with the result that I bought both this fleece and an expensive Schoffel coat in the 38" size. So please try before you buy, and remember that Schoffel have very strict control of their pricing, such that where ever you buy, (including Amazon), you will pay the same price.

I love this fleece because it is wonderfully made, warm and very good looking. Well worth the price.

Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Body (24.1MP) 3.2 inch LCD
Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Body (24.1MP) 3.2 inch LCD
Offered by Camera Shot
Price: 809.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade from a D90, 1 Oct 2013
I have owned many Nikon cameras and this is a very good one. I currently use a D700 and a D300 and this addition was to upgrade from a very capable D90 which was mainly used by my wife. We take pictures all over the world and have found Nikon well able to provide consistent product quality, but in the end the picture is highly dependant on your skill to compose, and the quality of the lens used.

I have read many of the reviews (not all positive) and wanted to add just a few points. The camera is more robust than the D90, albeit slightly larger and heavier. The features include several useful additions, one of which is the dual card feature which allows overflow, or separate recording of video and still shots. The screen is larger and the menus are easier to navigate; fundamental changes to your shooting modes are much easier to make on the move. For those having difficulty I can only suggest a decent instruction manual/video.

The big selling feature is the 24.1 MP ability of this camera which is fine for some situations but inevitably results in some drawbacks such as the speed of file transfers etc. In my view this camera is not about this MP feature rather it is about a model which is a semi professional product, yet with features enabling the amateur to take great photos without particular reference to complicated menus. Personally I like the U1 and U2 easily switchable custom menus which mean you can easily change your shooting modes on the run.

In conclusion a great camera which still depends on you to take a good picture, A good upgrade from a D90, but I wouldn't upgrade from a D7000, and if you are looking to upgrade from your D300s again I wouldn't upgrade as I don't think the 24.1 MP adds much, unless you intend to put a poster up on a 'Bill Board'.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 10:09 PM BST

Datatool Heated Motorcycle Motorbike Grips Therma Grip Heated Hot Handlebar Grips
Offered by NIGHTINGALES
Price: 62.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Great not to have a control box., 12 Sep 2013
At last someone has come up with some grips that have a simple and easily operable control incorporated as part of the left grip. A flashing red LED on the right had grip tells you the grips are on and the rate of flash tells you which setting you have selected. Although wired directly to the battery, the grips automatically turn off when you turn off the engine - CLEVER!

Easy to fit and use, I think they are the best of the bunch and the manufacturer shows some clear understanding of the realities of motorcycling on a cold dark night which the likes of Oxford products don't seem to.

My only reservation is the grips themselves and the feel of them when riding; they are naturally larger than standard grips but could be better, this the drop of one star.

If you want grips, and are fed up with fiddly control boxes mounted on handle bars with lots of unsightly wires, then try these.

Liftmaster 680Kg Motorcycle Bike Lift ATV QUAD Jack 1500LB
Liftmaster 680Kg Motorcycle Bike Lift ATV QUAD Jack 1500LB
Offered by Liftmaster Garage Equipments
Price: 86.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The price tells the story, 12 Sep 2013
I have to admit I bought this product based on price (around 100.00 delivered) to lift my 2012 Harley Davidson custom sportster. The product arrived within a few days of ordering and the packaging was perfectly adequate; the components were easy to assemble and the instructions were enough to get me started. The first thing I noticed was that the parts didn't really fit together that well and as a result the platform didn't go low enough to enable me to push the lift under the bike. I then examined the parts and found that had the product parts been produced correctly then the lift should have gone lower. I then took the lift apart again and made some modifications to some of the holes etc such that the platform dropped to it's designed height.

Basically a good lift made from solid materials but just lacking in the quality control of the assembly such that it wasn't quite right out of the box.
Overall I'm pleased but have reduced my rating to 4 stars because I had to modify the product.

I think if I had my time again I would have bought the product supplied by the Harley Davidson dealer as although 30.00 dearer it looks to be much better quality.
My suggestion is to have a look at a few in the flesh and make sure your selection actually fits underneath your bike.

Philips AquaTouch AT896 Wet and Dry Shaver
Philips AquaTouch AT896 Wet and Dry Shaver
Offered by Electrifyingdeals
Price: 61.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to be back!, 13 Aug 2013
I have owned various electric shavers over many years and my main complaint has been that whilst they are convenient they just don't compare with a 'wet shave'. This razor is different in that it does give me a shave comparable with a 'wet shave' even to the extent that i can use shaving soap as well!
My previous razor was an expensive Remington complete with a cleaning bath and electronic indicators telling me the state of the battery and the 'hygiene' level. (a real joke) The product was never satisfactory and when I came across this shaver at such a good price I bought it and haven't been disappointed.
Great shave, good shape and easily packed for travel (forget the case as I always end up dumping them anyway)
Good product at a good price.

Dawns Like Thunder: Retreat from Burma, 1942
Dawns Like Thunder: Retreat from Burma, 1942
by Alfred Draper

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book of this period., 8 Aug 2013
I have read many books about the Burma campaign and this is the best by far. Well written, factually correct and telling the story through the eyes of soldiers covering all ranks. There is no political slant to this book and reputations are not protected as they are quite wrongly in so many books describing this period of the war in Burma.
Make no mistake this was a tragedy for the British army, which was still commanded at that time by Generals who gained their reputations during the first world war which was totally different in every way. Senior officers had made no attempt to understand their enemy nor did they have any respect for the fighting ability of the Japanese. Badly led, badly equipped and badly trained our troops didn't have a chance against such a determined enemy. Thank God a real general finally emerged in the form of Bill Slim (a real soldier).

OptiMate 4 Battery charger and conditioner
OptiMate 4 Battery charger and conditioner
Offered by Quad Bikes Wales
Price: 52.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The latest generation, 12 July 2013
This is the latest very clever charger that you can leave attached to your battery sae in th knowledge that your car/motorcycle will start when you press the magic button. The only problem is that you have to remember that it is still attached and failure to do so can be expensive. An impressive sequence of flashing lights of various colourstells you something is happening but the only thing worth remembering is that green is good.
Good product.

Red Beret [DVD] [1954]
Red Beret [DVD] [1954]
Dvd ~ Alan Ladd
Price: 4.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Red Beret [DVD] [1954] (DVD)
I wish I could say I enjoyed this movie as I normally enjoy seeing Alan Ladd in western movies where he plays the tough silent cowboy. In this movie he never really fits the role of a paratrooper and in my view the best actor is the young Stanley Baker who dies quite early on. The dreaded dramatic music runs through the film and the battle scenes are quite good for the period in which this film was made. There isn't much of a story and you don't need to hold your breath as nothing really exciting happens even when you leave the room to make a cup of tea. With the benefit of now having seen the movie i would give it a miss as there are much better movies made during this period.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7