Profile for Setter man > Reviews

Content by Setter man

Setter man (Sheffield, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Streeze Mens Elastic Fabric Woven Braided Stretch Webbed Belt (X Large 42" - 44", Navy)
Offered by Avaweb

5.0 out of 5 stars Belting belts!, 1 July 2015
I bought two of these stretch belts and I'm pleased I did: they are well-made and of very good quality. They compare very favourably with those I saw recently in a major store's sale (JLP) AND at half the price! Very satisfied and recommended 😉

Carmex Original Tube & Pot  duo pack
Carmex Original Tube & Pot duo pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, 26 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I find this useful when I am fishing on the river for long periods as it rehydrates not only my lips, but also my ear rims and nose tip. I keep the tube permanently in my fishing vest. Pleasant aroma and taste, and a little goes a long way!

AnySharp ABS Plastic Multi-Tool and Knife Sharpener, Blue
AnySharp ABS Plastic Multi-Tool and Knife Sharpener, Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Safe but basic knife and tool sharpener, 14 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The main advantage of this sharpener is its design that protects your hand when using it against sharp edges of knives etc. The end designed for sharpening knives is the normal crossover of two metal edges between which the blade runs. The end designed for sharpening tools is a simple single edge. I find the knife sharpening part tends to give a rather radical shaping of the edge and leaves the blade somewhat crudely sharpened. I finish off with a normal butcher's style sharpening steel to get a finer edge. This sharpener is best for bringing a blunt knife edge, or tool edge such as a spade, back to form but to get a truly fine edge for kitchen knives, for example, you need either a steel or a diamond sharpener.

Braun Series 9 9040s Wet and Dry Electric Shaver
Braun Series 9 9040s Wet and Dry Electric Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the range razor, 10 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Over the years I have tried many electric shavers, but none of them has given me as clean a shave as using a wet razor and cream. This one, however, comes closer than anything else I've used by a long chalk. The rotating head means that you can really shave under the chin line and other awkward areas properly and closely. I have used it both wet and dry and find that using it wet gives the best results for me. But I do not use gel or cream, but rather simply wet the face, or maybe add a little shaving oil to my face, and keep cleaning the heads under a running tap regularly whilst shaving.
The razor comes with a neat carrying case, a cleaning brush, some lubricating oil for the heads and razor itself, plus a simple but effective charging lead than ends in the standard two-pin plug.
This is not the cheapest of electric razors but I guess you get what you pay for here, as in most things, and I would certainly recommend this for those wanting an electric razor that really shaves you smooth!

Neoprene Double Pull Lumbar Back Support Brace by PhysioWorld (XL (106-120cm))
Neoprene Double Pull Lumbar Back Support Brace by PhysioWorld (XL (106-120cm))

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job at an excellent price!, 3 Jun. 2015
I suffer from occasional back spasms and I flyfish so this support seemed to offer a perfect opportunity to support my back and reduce the likelihood of getting back pain after a few hours standing in a river! Whilst it allows a full range of movement, it does also brace the back to prevent overstretching and twisting. And it does all this at a fraction of the cost of a well-known American fishing brand's alternative, and indeed a whole load of other back supports at much higher prices. I now have two: one permanently in my car for use when fishing, and one at home when I have a bout of back pain.

Geemarc CL7400 Foldable Wireless Digital Headset and TV Listener for TV,PC, MP3 , iPods, Audio/Hi-Fi Systems- Silver Colour- UK Version

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 3 Jun. 2015
Bought for my father in law who is very hard of hearing. He wears them all the time and is very satisfied with both their sound and portability over wired headphones.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2015 11:21 AM BST

Panasonic ALL3 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Panasonic ALL3 Wireless Speaker System (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker - once I got it to work!, 24 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I expected this speaker to be easy to setup given the large number of similarly wireless controlled items I have already. BUT as a number of other reviewers have noted, there supplied instructions are limited to say the least! It took two or three attempts to get the speaker fully working with my router, partially due to need to use the Panasonic app to name and connect the speaker (which takes time and the wireless connection gets dropped!) and also because, for some unknown reason my BT router seems not to 'like' the ALL3 at first. Eventually, all seemed to be set up and tried to use both my iPhone 5S and my iPad Air as a music source to play through the speaker. Nothing happened, then I got a 'Cannot play this tune' message. Factory reset (twice), reconnection etc. etc. for some hours then after reading a number of other reviews I realised what the problem probably was. I keep my music in the Apple and Amazon cloud facilities to reduce the memory size of downloaded music on my iPhone and iPad. The ALL3 simply won't play cloud-based files so I had to download albums to my phone and tablet before I eventually did get it to recognise, read and play the music.
BUT once eventually set up I am very impressed with the sound and the volume of the ALL3. I have a Bose Soundlink Bluetooth and I am very pleased with that, but I have to say that the depth and power of the ALL3 is probably better all round than the Bose. You do not of course have the portability of the Bose since the ALL3 needs to be plugged into the mains wherever you use it, but for use at home in various rooms it is very good indeed. This is worth bearing in mind when considering the options of a battery powered as opposed to a mains powered speaker. The Bose is great to take on holidays etc. The ALL3 and other speakers in the AllPlay series are really meant for home entertainment, not carrying about. Its pretty heavy too!

I've given it four rather than five stars because a) it is a bit of a pain to set up and the Panasonic Music Streaming app is pretty clunky, and b) it is quite expensive even for what it does.

Zippo Washed Vintage Style Leather Flap Canvas Bag - Brown
Zippo Washed Vintage Style Leather Flap Canvas Bag - Brown
Offered by Friday Trends Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic shoulder bag, 20 Mar. 2015
A simple but effective shoulder bag with good quality canvas and leather features. I use it for storing various pieces of fishing equipment in the winter, and for carrying waterproofs, food and spare gear when I'm fishing. The shoulder strap could be a bit broader especially at the area where it goes on your shoulder, but this is a classic, simple design, made well that should last for years.

Towards the Flame: Empire, War and the End of Tsarist Russia
Towards the Flame: Empire, War and the End of Tsarist Russia
by Dominic Lieven

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'losers' history, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a student many years ago (!) and subsequently I have always had a fascination for the Russian Revolutions of 1917. Almost everything I read was written from the point of view of explaining the outcome, that is the subsequent Soviet system. What enthrals me about this work is that it is a serious study of the First World War and the susbsequent changes to the 'old regime' - for once a history focusing more on the Tsarist system 'losers' than the 'winners' in this turbulent period. I have read many academic books in my time, being a retired academic myself, so I am used to the academic paraphenalia of referencing and sourcing. But Lieven's style is actually rather lively and direct despite all the referencing etc., unlike many scholarly works. The book is detailed and therefore lengthy at nearly 450 pages, and that is the reason I have given this for rather than five stars- it is, even for an academic work of history, just a little too long and just occasionally drifts into detail that slows the argument and pace of Lieven's otherwise engaging style. Nevertheless, amongst all the works focusing on and around the Russian Revolution this one stands out as a rigorous yet accessible and lively treatment.

Tefal Secure 5 Neo Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker, 6 L
Tefal Secure 5 Neo Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker, 6 L

4.0 out of 5 stars A modern pressure cooker, 9 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am new to pressure cookers and thought this would be a good item to begin my experience with since it is a) of good quality i.e. stainless steel and made by a market leader, and b) has many safety features, c) at a good price. On receiving it it is clear that it is indeed very well-made and the accompanying booklet stresses how to use the cooker both for cooking and to ensure you do it safely. In short, this is not some cheap, aluminium, whistling and fizzing pot as in the old days!

I gave so far only used it a few times and not yet attempted to cook a large piece of meat or casserole, for example. It works very well.

However, I am removing one star because it seems remiss to me not to provide some sort of short range of recipes and instructions on how to use the cooker, other than some extremely brief notes on cooking times for a list of vegetables and meats. Tefal could and should have done this a) to show what can be done and b) to explain the use of the cooker more fully.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20