ARRAY(0xb13b69c0)

Profile for Jan > Reviews

Content by Jan

Jan

Rome Marco Polo Guide (Marco Polo Guides) (Marco Polo Travel Guides)
Rome Marco Polo Guide (Marco Polo Guides) (Marco Polo Travel Guides)
by Marco Polo
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good size to carry round and very good map., 29 Oct 2013
This book is a very handy size for carrying round Rome, easy to access and use. The maps are particularly good. They are presented atlas style in the back of the book and there is a detachable large map in a plastic pocket inside.

It is a bit short on information about the places most people go to Rome to visit (the sightseeing pages occupy only 50 or so of the 156 pages). There is too much information about shopping, eating out, and entertainment for my tastes I'm afraid, they might appeal more to a younger traveller. It is a little out of date (there is a page about Pope Benedict) and if you are using it, prices have gone up in many of the featured places since it was published. Metro prices have also increased. It does however give web addresses where possible so updated info can be checked. Information about getting from the airport(s) to the centre is very outdated. The bus shuttles are by far the cheapest way to get to the city centre, and you can book ahead. The most well known one is the Terravision bus [...] but there are others

I borrowed the Lonely Planet Guide to Italy from the library and found the Rome section of that very useful but the book was a bit too weighty to carry round Rome.

All in all, a good book and good value for money and I don't regret buying it.

Bling Jewelry Amber Gemstone Ball Stud Earrings Stainless Steel 8mm
Bling Jewelry Amber Gemstone Ball Stud Earrings Stainless Steel 8mm
Offered by Bling Jewelry
Price: 6.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 16 Aug 2013
Lovely earrings, cheap and cheerful but good enough quality - what's not to like. Good fixings, strong and stoutly made.

Stainless Steel 8mm Solid Round Disc High Polish fashion jewelry Stud Earrings
Stainless Steel 8mm Solid Round Disc High Polish fashion jewelry Stud Earrings

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for general wear, 16 Aug 2013
I bought these to replace yet another pair of studs that I have lost - they do the job just fine.

Harness Leather Ladies Multicoloured Purse Style 1101_26 Purple Multi
Harness Leather Ladies Multicoloured Purse Style 1101_26 Purple Multi
Offered by Ashlie Craft
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice purse, 16 Aug 2013
I bought this style of Harness purse around 10 years ago and yesterday the zip broke so this is a direct replacement. The leather is a little softer than my original purse and I notice it is only single stitched round the top but it is a lovely purse, it has all the right compartments for my cards and as they are in several sections they can be grouped for easy finding. I love the colour which is just a shade darker than the picture. I hate black purses as the inside of my bags are black and I can never find them. I am delighted to have been able to find an exact replacement for my purse and would highly recomend Harness products.

The purse came in less than 24 hours which by my book is pretty good service.

Panasonic SD-2500 WXC Automatic Breadmaker with Gluten Free Program
Panasonic SD-2500 WXC Automatic Breadmaker with Gluten Free Program
Price: 89.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough decision, good purchase, 9 Feb 2012
We bought this breadmaker (though from the Co-op, not Amazon) and we are very pleased with it. We have had a Morphy Richards Fastbake for the past four years and when the motor broke in December, we wondered whether to go for a straight replacement or upgrade. The reviews for this machine were good so we thought that despite the fact it is considerably more expensive than the MR model, we would indulge.

The breadmaker produces excellent quality bread. It does three sizes of loaf, M, L, XL. We find the L setting is the best one to use as XL gives a very tall loaf!! The instrustions are clear and should be followed very carefully as using the wrong quantities can result in a poor loaf. Be particularly careful to measure out the yeast exactly.

Picking up on other reviewers comments - No you can't see the bread cooking but that doesn't bother me and yes, the programmes are quite long. This is because the machine warms the water to exactly the right temperature, you don't have to try to work out what 'tepid' or 'lukewarm' means though some recipes do ask you to use warmed or iced water. The machine is very quiet on all counts and you should be in hearing distance of it when adding ingredients or when the programme is ending because it is so quiet.

If I was new to breadmaking, I would seriously consider whether this was a good buy as you need to bake regularly to make it worth the expense and other cheaper models are available and of good quality. As an experienced breadmaker user, I am glad we chose this machine, it is worth the money. I generally use Tesco flour and Allinson's or Dove's yeast and have good results. I am also rather partial to the bread mixes at Lidl and Aldi as store cupboard items. They are of excellent quality and half the price of the bread mixes in other places. The ciabatta and sunflower bread mixes give particularly good results.

All in all, a great machine and looks good in the kitchen too. Highly recommended.

Northern France: What to Do and See Within 90 Minutes of Calais
Northern France: What to Do and See Within 90 Minutes of Calais
by Angela Bird

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful guide book, 7 Aug 2011
I've borrowed this book from the library so many times I thought I had better get my own copy. This book is useful whether you are a day tripper, make an overnight stay near the coast or have weekends away on the near continent. There is plenty to see and do in northern France whatever your reason for being there. The maps are accurate and useful though not comprehensive and the information in the book is first rate. The author has clearly spent time in the area, enough to give a good description of places that many people overlook on their travels. I have yet to explore many of the places mentioned but I'm looking forward to using it again and again. The format is excellent and the book itself is very easy to carry in the car or in a rucksack.

Great value and a must have on my book shelf.

Butterflies and Moths (RSPB Pocket Nature)
Butterflies and Moths (RSPB Pocket Nature)
by Dk
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Butterfly identification guide, 7 Aug 2011
I have been looking for a book for a while to help me identify butterflies and moths. This book ticks most of the boxes and being DK is of high quality. I do find it a bit cluttered though and it has taken me a little while to get used to it.

All in all a good purchase.