Profile for Pauline > Reviews

The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism
The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism
by Jürgen Tautz

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Aug. 2013
An excellent book, I can't praise it enough. I bought it for my partner who keeps bees and he is constantly dipping into it for new information. It is worth buying for the photos along. The book is full of really interesting information about these amazing creatures. Would definitely recommend the book despite the price. The author has a facebook page so we continue to get updates with recent research articles.

DILL 8 Cell 14.8V 5200mAh Laptop Battery for TravelMate 2430, 4070, 4080, ACER Aspire 1410, 1640, 1640Z, 1650, 1680, 1690, 3000, 3500, 5000, 5510 Series, Extensa 2300, 3000, 4100 Series, TravelMate 2300, 2310, 4000, 4010, 4020, 4060, 4100, 4500, 4600 Series, 4UR18650F-1-QC192, BT.T5003.001, BT.T5003.002, BT.T5005.001, BT.T5005.002, BT.T5007.001, BT.T5007.002, BTP-AS1681, LC.BTP03.003

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems ok so far, 5 Aug. 2013
The battery arrived quickly and was well packaged. It has charged up and so far so good. I don't know much about laptop batteries and this is the first one I have bought so hopefully it will last a good while. If I have any problems with it, I will report back.

1GB DDR RAM MEMORY UPGRADE FOR Acer Aspire 5000 Series Laptop/Notebook
1GB DDR RAM MEMORY UPGRADE FOR Acer Aspire 5000 Series Laptop/Notebook
Offered by MemoryCardsIE

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 5 Aug. 2013
Arrived quickly. Easy to install and makes a huge difference to my Acer Aspire 5000. Almost like a new laptop. I was thinking of buying a tablet as even surfing the internet was almost too much for the laptop. No need now. I might even buy another and upgrade to 2Gb ram.

La puerta al Sahara (for learners of Spanish) (Novels for learning foreign languages nº 3) (Spanish Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Learners of Spanish beware, 9 Jan. 2012
This is a reasonably interesting short story about 2 American sisters taking a trip into the Sahara. I am an intermediate to advanced reader of Spanish and found the the text easy to follow. I have Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Translation Dictionary, Kindle Edition installed on my Kindle which helps with the occasional word I need to look up. (You have to change the default dictionary on the Kindle when reading Spanish text to use the dictionary).
I say learners beware as the book could really do with some serious proof reading. There are grammatical errors every couple of pages. My Spanish partner reading the pages over my shoulder was seriously concerned that I was reading something so filled with errors.
If you have a good level of Spanish you will spot them so it will be good practice. A teacher using this book might ask the students to spot the errors and report back as an exercise.
If you are keen to practice your Spanish though don't let it put you off for the price it is ok and the level at least means you get to read something to practice.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2012 1:58 PM BST

Practice Makes Perfect: The Spanish Subjunctive Up Close (Practice Makes Perfect Series)

2.0 out of 5 stars Viewing on Kindle - problems, 31 July 2011
I like the book although agree with some of the comments that the reading is heavy going if you have a weak understanding of English grammar.
My main comment is that I bought it to read while travelling and so have it on my Kindle.
Although the text of the book is readable in the usual way - the exercises in the book are impossible to view on the Kindle as they are too small. Whatever format they have used for Kindle - it doesn't work.
As the title suggests - Practice makes perfect - so I am not likely to ever be able to perfect my Spanish if I can't read the exercises to practice..

I have got around this by downloading the program "Kindle for PC" from Amazon and can now read the exercises on my PC screen without any problems.
I don't know if the other books in the "Practice makes perfect series" have the same problems for Kindle viewing.

I have given the book only 2 stars based on its suitability for Kindle.