Profile for S. Golzari > Reviews

Content by S. Golzari

S. Golzari (Kent)

Page: 1 | 2
The Second Kormak Saga Omnibus (Boxed Set)
The Second Kormak Saga Omnibus (Boxed Set)
Price: 5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed, 30 July 2014
A good wholesome, atmospheric, page-turner for those of us inclined to the fantasy genre. Kormak, the adventuring hero. Highly recommend it.

SanDisk 120GB Ultra SATA 2.5in Internal SSD
SanDisk 120GB Ultra SATA 2.5in Internal SSD

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely failed after 3 months use, 3 April 2014
Purchased in March 2013 it died in June of that year. I sent it back to the supplier who abdecated all responsibility by saying that something in the connection socket had been broken (first I'd heard of it, still couldn't see it when he sent it back to me). I even used the packaging of the Samsung Evo I replaced it with for protection and that also seemed to be a bone of contention for the supplier as he also complained about that. Well, sorry mate. I don't tend to keep the original packaging for stuff I buy beyond a week or two as by that point I expect the product not to be faulty. I guess this is just a problem with Sandisk and the suppliers who were foolish enough to stock them. My advice is to stay away from this brand and especially the supplier. I didn't just lose the 80 (+ return charge) or so that I spent on this rubbish but also everything that was on the disk.

Asustek Xonar Essence STX 2 Channel PCI Express Audio Card
Asustek Xonar Essence STX 2 Channel PCI Express Audio Card
Price: 124.98

5.0 out of 5 stars BOOOOM!, 28 Feb 2014
After having problems with my on board realtek audio device I did a bit of research and wanted something with great quality and lastability. So this was among one of a number of cards I was looking at and I was mulling over it for a week or two, reading various reviews and what not, some of which made me hesitate. But I decided to bite the bullet yesterday and ordered it. I have had none of the problems others are complaining about.

I simply made sure that I did the following:

1. Download latest driver from Asus
2. Disable onboard sound through your bios.
3. Turn off PC, flick the PSU switch off.
4. Connect FP HD audio plug and 4 pin power
5. Connect 4 pin power pluf from PSU (make sure this is properly connected)
6. Slot the Card into the socket.
7. Start up PC
8. Run downloaded driver software from ASUS and BOOOOM! Prepare to be blown away.

To the sound itself... it has exceeded my expectations by a million miles. I am using Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Open backed Hi-Fi headphones and the difference with the onboard sound and a previous low-end xonar I had bears no comparison. Listening to various types of rock, metal, country, electronic and other genres feels so authentic and exhilirating like you're listening live. Someone else described the sensation of listening through these as an eargasm, well I will take it a few steps further to say it's giving me multiple eargasms. lol.

My hackles rise at the prospect of gaming with it!

Asus VG248QE 24-inch 3D LED Monitor - Black (1920x1080, 80000000:1, 144 Hz, 1ms, DVI Display Port, HDMI)
Price: 259.93

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it a lot., 31 Dec 2013
Great crisp, clean high definition picture quality, 1MS, 144Hz - exactly what i was looking for. Down sides
are that it runs very hot and it is quite heavy.

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 - White
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 31 Dec 2013
Compact, light, with great features like the mini USB receiver which fits neatly into a slot on the underneath of the mouse. It also has a power button to conserve battery life when not in use and in motion.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great card at factory speeds, 31 Dec 2013
It runs flawlessly and with complete silence at stock ASUS OC speed, but the USP for this product is silence and coolness, I've not had much luck OCing it with the accompanying Asus GPU Tweak.

Corsair Obsidian 650D CC650DW-1 Aluminum Mid Tower ATX Enthusiast Computer Case - Black
Price: 99.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Case, 31 Dec 2013
I went for this case because my previous case was a little bit too crowded and had very limited cable management options which pushed temperatures up higher than they should have been. I like Corsair products and I am not disappointed. The case is very roomy inside, allowing for unrestricted airflow and overall it looks very sleek with premium finishing.

I did not give it five stars for two reasons.

1. The frontal USB ports are too close together which is restrictive when you want to place different sized/large or large male USB plugs in. The work around would be to get a short USB extension cable, but that's quite messy.
2. Although all of the right ingredients are there for fantastic cable management, I feel that an extra 5mm depth on the reverse side of the main compartment would have made this the complete case for me.

It took me hours of wrestling with wires/cables to get them in the right configuration to get it closed without a bulge. I have 4 storage drives (3 x SSD; 1 x HDD) and getting the SATA power cables to flatten out was a nightmare and all the time the risk of damaging either the drive power ports or the cables weighed on my mind but I finally managed it.

I've posted pictures of my solution using this case under customer pictures.

APC BE400-UK 240 Watts /400 VA,Input 230V /Output 230V, Interface Port USB Power-Saving Back-UPS
Offered by Value_Deal
Price: 67.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money or risk your system, 17 Nov 2013
I had a power cut in summer 2013 which corrupted my hard drive and caused me a lot of hassle. So invested in this to protect me from any suich future mishaps. 15 minutes prior to time of writing we had another brief power cut and I instantly lost power on my PC despite it being connected to the battery back-up plug on this thing. All it did was ring an alarm to tell me there was a powercut which affected my entire system instantaneously. What a pile of excrement. Seriously. Even if I had a minute of time it would have been enough but nothing. PC lost power at the same time as lights and everything else. Not even a split second of protection.

So don't waste your money or risk your system and get a reliable back-up from a known and trusted brand.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2014 6:02 PM GMT

Use of Weapons (The Culture)
Use of Weapons (The Culture)
Price: 5.73

4.0 out of 5 stars you have to bear with it, 16 May 2013
It's a difficult read, but you're in for a treat at the end. I found it hard to keep engaged because of the regular lapses into zakalwe's history but it all comes together sweetly in the end.

Them and Us: How Neanderthal predation created modern humans
Them and Us: How Neanderthal predation created modern humans
Price: 5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary, 16 Mar 2013
The concept of NP theory that this book proposes is a little hard to digest at first because it is so counter intuitive to the myths we're regularly fed by the mainstream theatre about a neanderthals, a close primate relative. However as you read the book everything falls into place and the theory becomes solidly grounded and supported by well researched deductive and inductive reasoning and logic using the theories of natural selection, sexual selection and the author's own innovative additions of NP theory and Teem theory.

I highly recommend this book to those not only interested in Neanderthals but also more generally in the human condition and why we are what we are, not only physically but also psychologically and emotionally. For those not convinced by the counter intuitive theories pervasive in modern media about being human, it is amazingly refreshing and credibly casts us in a very believable light.

Page: 1 | 2