Profile for chocolatelover > Reviews

Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Happier Life
Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Happier Life
by Arianna Huffington

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT THOUGHT PROVOKING BOOK, 26 Aug. 2014
I have been suffering from spells of anxiety and panic attacks recently brought on by stress at work, which I have had before and I was give this book as a gift as I weighed up staying in my current job and how to make my life less challenging. I can honestly say it has just opened my eyes to a lot as it's so inspiring and has really made me try to think more about what's important. I have since bought it for 3 friends as gifts as I think there is a lot in here to digest and lots that offer you some food for thought. Absolutely loved it and am happy to have found it at a time when I had everything wrong in my life in terms of perspective. One I'll revisit for sure.

Full Catastrophe Living: How to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation
by Jon Kabat-Zinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book to help deal with life, 4 Jan. 2013
I was recommended this book by someone who went through a bit of a breakdown of sorts and who found it to be both calming and educational, so much so she still reads it again at times when things get tough again.

I have to say I read it cover to cover and it has completely changed the way I view my mind and the way I handle stress. After several periods of anxiety which were petrifying, this book helped me realise ways to stop and pull back from going down a spiral. I'm still learning to improve my meditation after reading this book and am loving it, and now I appreciate the body scans and yoga I do for the benefits they have for my mind as the more I go on the more obvious these benefits become. I can definitely see myself reading the book again, and going back to certain chapters, but would definitely recommend it to anyone. The principal of mindfulness and the power of now really is something to help in hard times, and Jon puts it across so well.

Also, I'd recommend watching interview with him, there are loads online, very inspiring guy!

How Soon is Now?: The Madmen and Mavericks who made Independent Music 1975-2005
How Soon is Now?: The Madmen and Mavericks who made Independent Music 1975-2005
by Richard King

5.0 out of 5 stars Super interesting read, 5 April 2012
I've never really known much about the history behind some of the record labels featured in this book but have long been a fan of a lot of their music. A friend of mine who works alongside one of the characters interviewed in the book recommended the book to me and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it fascinating to actually learn about the various stories behind a lot of these independent labels. Some of the characters and the stories discussed are fascinating, loved Alan McGhee, huge character! And of course as a Smiths fan, loved hearing about how they ended up signing to Rough Trade.
I've always loved music from a lot of the independent labels, but this book was such a good read and taught me a lot about the culture behind the labels, giving me a new found respect for the independent music scene. Such a depth of history there, and now keen to find out more and read more on the topics. Fascinating read that anyone interested in music would be sure to enjoy.