Profile for Fenhemn > Reviews

Dvd ~ Elizabeth Olsen
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 7.35

5.0 out of 5 stars A minimalist piece that works, 13 Jun 2014
I read a few reviews on this film before I bought it that were critical of the plot and pace of the film. I decided to give it a go anyway and I'm really glad that I did. I found Martha Marcy May Marlene to be a very nice addition to my film collection and found that it was very successful in it's endeavour to be quite disturbing, unsettling and, at times, so creepy (mainly as a result of the cult leader). It may have helped that I watched this film when I was really in the mood for a quiet, thought-provoking film but the pacing was fine by me. I also actually liked the ambiguous cuts between past and present experiences as I think it gives the viewer a better experience of the damage that has been done to the lead character (played strongly by Elizabeth Olsen, who'd have thought it? An Olsen sister that can act and actually has some healthy meat on her).
So overall, if you want a pacey thriller then you might not like this one. I'm not the first to admit that this particular film isn't for everyone. If you are up for a psychological thriller that revolves heavily around sustaining an eerie mood through a fairly simple, but effective, plot, then definitely give Martha Marcy May Marlene a go.

Mongol Horde
Mongol Horde
Price: 9.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Make way indeed., 27 May 2014
This review is from: Mongol Horde (Audio CD)
A brilliant debut album. I am still getting acquainted with the songs but my first, second, third, and many more, impressions are of a band that is storming the hardcore punk scene by simply being very talented at what they do. As always, Frank Turner has written lyrics that are thought-provoking, funny and, as expected, somewhat angry. Matt Nazir also shines just by being amazing at just about any instrument that you throw at him. If Frank's other projects are anything to go by, I cannot wait to see these guys live. Their sound is reminicent of Million Dead (for obvious reasons what with Frank Turner screaming his lungs out and Ben Dawson trying to beat his drums to death) but I think the whole album is more well crafted and fine tuned - perhaps a result of 10+ more years of songwriting practice.
Personal favourites so far include 'Staff To The Refund Counter', 'Weak Handshake' and 'Blistering Blue Barnacles', though 'Make Way' feels necessary before any Mongol Horde listening. I have ordered the vinyl and I can't wait to drive my friends crazy.

Somewhere In The Between [VINYL]
Somewhere In The Between [VINYL]
Price: 15.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, great vinyl, 15 May 2014
I only recently got my first turntable and had to buy this on vinyl as it is among my top 10 favourite albums. Truly inspired work and a frequent visitor to my speakers, along with the other works of Streetlight. The actual record is very stylish with a sort of marble white look which I hadn't been expecting, looks great while being played and sounds even better. Love it.

Genius SP-HF 1800 Wired Active
Genius SP-HF 1800 Wired Active
Offered by elevenfirst
Price: 50.43

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great to have a full sound at last, 8 May 2014
I have been testing these things all day across a wide range of musical styles and mediums, from mp3 through to vinyl. The option of controlling treble and bass has proven invaluable, as my record player needs more bass to offset it's naturally high treble and my laptop needs the bass to be dampened a bit to benefit the treble. Tried out high volumes, though not pushing them hard just yet. I particularly enjoy the sound of acoustic recordings through these speakers. I have also tested them with films and gaming and they have excelled in both. I knock one star off because, whether connected to anything or not, there is a persistent hum that I can hear between songs. I am still trying to determine the cause but so far it's equally coming from both speakers, so at least there's consistency.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2014 5:54 PM BST

Tape Deck Heart [VINYL]
Tape Deck Heart [VINYL]
Offered by wmdservices
Price: 15.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the music, state of the record could have been better, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Tape Deck Heart [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Firstly, it plays. So at the end of the day it's mostly fine. However, upon opening mine I first noticed a fair accumulation of paper fibers all over the surface of both sides. Furthermore, there was what looked like finger grease on one of the sides and there was also some light scuffing to the surface. Safe to say I cleaned it and it plays well apart from a small skip that happens about halfway through 'Recovery'. I love the album and the nice big cover art is lovely to look at. The sleeve is also very nice and feels sturdy. The whole thing was sealed when it got here so I have no reason to believe it was mishandled during delivery, it just seems like something happened to it when it was first put into its sleeve.

Assecure PS1 1 MB Playstation 1MB Memory card PS2 compatible* LIFETIME Warranty
Assecure PS1 1 MB Playstation 1MB Memory card PS2 compatible* LIFETIME Warranty
Offered by ZedLabz-Outlet
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's meant to, 15 April 2014
There aren't many boxes to tick when it comes to memory cards. It needs to store game saves and fit in a PS1 slot. This thing is 2 for 2. I have about 8 game saves on it and no problems loading up.

Nalgene Wide Mouth Bottle - Blue, 1 Litre
Nalgene Wide Mouth Bottle - Blue, 1 Litre
Offered by Leisure Lakes Bikes
Price: 12.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Never leaves my side, 15 April 2014
I used to have a metal cantine but I have to say I like this one because I can see the liquid inside. I got rid of my metal one because I couldn't see if the insulation was coming off or if there was mildew in the bottle. This plastic bottle is nice and sturdy and doesn't taint the water with a plastic taste. A little more than I would usually spend but I can tell it'll last a while.

Mens Crosshatch Denim Jeans Trousers With Free Canvas Belt (32W X 34L, Dark Wash)

5.0 out of 5 stars A steal for the price, 15 April 2014
It's been a few weeks and they haven't fallen apart so I'm feeling positive. Fit was as I expected, if you know your size then you'll get exactly what you expect. They have been washed several times, no shrinkage or running dye so all in all I am happy.

The Official DSA Theory Test for Car Drivers [Download]
The Official DSA Theory Test for Car Drivers [Download]
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 15 April 2014
I honestly didn't use the 'Study' section at all but a great program to do plenty of practise questions. Passed my theory yesterday with 3 wrong in this section so it did its job. I found it worked best to do the mock straight away, then practise questions on the weak areas, do the mock again... and so on.
I would have preferred it if it had come with hazard perception practice but in the end I found other ways to do that.

Silence Yourself
Silence Yourself
Price: 8.74

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninventive and unininteresting, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Silence Yourself (Audio CD)
Of course this is all a matter of opinion, but I didn't think there was a lot to this album. Droning guitar just strumming open strings with reverb didn't catch my attention. Same goes for the vocals and lyrics. The mix didn't help and just made the whole thing sound flat and dull. It just didn't engage me at all and the songs didn't really range in style. There might be some potential, let's see what they do next.

Page: 1 | 2