Profile for Arthur Cornwell > Reviews

Content by Arthur Cornwell

Arthur Cornwell "adcorn"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Canon IXUS 265 HSCompact Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 12x Optical Zoom, 24x ZoomPlus, Wifi, NFC) 3inch LCD
Offered by MACnificent

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent lightweight camera for snapshots, 10 April 2015
I mainly bought this camera to take snapshots while out cycling so it was always going to be a bit of a trade-off between size and weight, or picture quality.

Size and weight are both good - only 147g with battery fitted and it fits easily in the little bag I have mounted on the top-tube of my bike, making for quick and easy access. I've been able to pick up some spare 3rd-party batteries for it for less than a fiver each and, although they don't hold quite as much charge as Canon originals, it means I can take it on tours without having to lug the mains charger with me.

I usually tend to leave it on fully automatic mode, as all I'm after is a reminder of where I've been, and on the whole it performs well. On occasions it struggles with clarity, but a bit of post-shot sharpening normally puts that right. I have toyed with the other modes and, again, the results have been fairly good for a camera of this size and price.

I'm not a fan of the Hybrid Auto mode (the resulting 'journals' always look scrappy and each bit of vid is too short) or the Creative Shot mode, although I concede this may be useful for people who don't possess, or want to use, an external image editor. One thing that my old Ixus 82 IS had and this one doesn't is the ability to take time-lapse video. I'd happily trade Hybrid Auto and Creative Shot to have that feature back.

If you're after a decent jack-of-all-trades point 'n' shoot camera, this should fit the bill nicely,

Kingston 32GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card For Canon Ixus 265 HS
Kingston 32GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card For Canon Ixus 265 HS
Offered by TV Village Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and performs reliably., 10 April 2015
I've had this card for a while now and have had it in and out of the camera a good number of times (I use a card-reader to transfer data). Contact is always made instantly and I've never had a problem with either recording or transferring pictures.
I've no idea how it compares with other SD cards in terms of speed, but it's certainly fast enough to meet my needs. Reliability is the really important thing for me, and it hasn't let me down yet.

BBB HighSix BHS-28 Handlebar Stem Height Adjustable 1-1/8" Black 25.4mm Handlebars black Size:110mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Given me and the bike a new lease of life!, 10 April 2015
I've had my road bike since 2007 and, perhaps it's a sign of my age but, the riding setup I've been using without a problem for years was starting to feel hunched. It felt like I was putting too much weight (which, to be honest, has also increased) on hands and wrists. The longer the ride, the more of a problem it became.

I put this stem on, adjusted it to15 degrees of rise and, bingo, riding was comfortable again. I did a 100km ride at weekend with no pain at all.

The only thing that stopped it from getting 5 stars is that one of the four Allen-bolts that clamp the bar to the stem had been mis-cast and I couldn't get more than about 1mm of an Allen-key into it. Luckily my old stem used the same sized bolts, so I swapped one of those over - Otherwise I would have had to return the stem for replacement.

Mad Catz Cyborg V1 Stick (PC)
Mad Catz Cyborg V1 Stick (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap stick, but performs very well indeed., 10 April 2015
I've had this for a couple of months now and have been using it a fair bit for playing Elite Dangerous. At first I found it quite stiff and creaky but, once it had settled in (and I had got used to it), it's been fine. Responses have been good and consistent, and I haven't needed to recalibrate it yet, nor have I experienced any directional 'creep' when the stick is in a neutral position. For such a cheap stick, that came as a welcome surprise!
I've also taped over the stupid blue LED that shines onto the screen but that's a minor niggle and not, in my opinion, worth knocking a star off for.

Adjustable Chest Mount Harness + Quick Release Buckle Mount for GoPro HD Hero 2 &3
Offered by HANGQI

4.0 out of 5 stars Robust, comfortable and cheap., 10 April 2015
It's very well made, cheap and works perfectly. I've used it a few times and I'm very impressed by both the comfort when wearing it, and the footage that I've taken. The product itself would have been awarded 5 stars but, as other reviewers have commented, mine came without a J-hook. To be fair, the description doesn't mention a J-hook, but one is clearly shown on the photo (and some people say they did get one included with the harness). Forewarned by the other reviewers, I was expecting this may the case and had ordered one separately.
I do think the seller would do well to either make it clear in the description, or change the photo to show exactly what is going to be supplied.

Goliton® 3X Adapter of Tripod, Convert GoPro Mounts for Common Camera with 1/4" connector using.
Offered by Bestin

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking bit of kit, 10 April 2015
I was always envious of the wide range of mounting points for body/helmet/handlebars that are available for GoPro owners, when there is next to nothing for owners of lightweight, compact cameras with a traditional screw fitting (I have a couple of Canon's Ixus models).
This little adapter is absolutely brilliant for allowing me to attach my camera to GoPro mounts. Construction is good and the fit is perfect. Ive used it with a GoPro handlebar mount and it holds the position I set it at well, despite a fair bit of vibration. I have no complaints whatsoever.

DiCAPac WP-410 Underwater Case
DiCAPac WP-410 Underwater Case
Offered by #DigiCamCase#

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeps the camera dry but is too fiddly for quick snaps., 3 Feb. 2015
This bag does the job of keeping your camera dry really well. The clear lens cover is pretty good, although there is a slight noticeable difference in quality to pics taken without the bag. My main problem is that once the camera is in the bag, you have to mess around to get it in exactly the right position before powering on and extending the lens. It's a bit of a hassle when you just want to shoot a couple of quick snaps now and then. I appreciate that the bag has to be of a size to accommodate a large number of camera sizes, so this isn't a complaint about the design of the product. It's just that for ease of use, I'll probably be spending a bit more on a dedicated case for my camera.

Camera Clamp Roll Bar Seat Post Tripod Mount for Bicycle Motorcycle
Camera Clamp Roll Bar Seat Post Tripod Mount for Bicycle Motorcycle
Offered by J.Y-EUO

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a camera mount that's solid and doesn't vibrate loose!, 3 Feb. 2015
I've tried several camera mounts for my handlebars, all with varying, and usually poor, levels of success. This one is very well designed, appears to made of sturdy stuff, is highly adjustable and carries my Ixus camera without it vibrating loose after a couple of miles. It's also really easy to get on and off the bars, using a skewer and cam device similar to the quick release lever on the wheels.

Clarks Elite Road Brake Pads with Lightweight Holder and Triple Compound Insert Pads - 55 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 3 Feb. 2015
2 holders with blocks, and a spare set of blocks for when the originals wear out... all for a fiver!...plus, the pads offer really good all-round stopping power. Simply brilliant value.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 3 m / 9.8 Feet Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, 14 Jan. 2015
It's 3 metres long and it works perfectly, at a fraction of the price of other cables. I couldn't ask for more

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6