Profile for M. Winslade > Reviews

Content by M. Winslade

M. Winslade "devmau5" (London, UK)

Denon AH-W150 Bluetooth Fitness Sports In-Ear Headphones - Black/Silver
Denon AH-W150 Bluetooth Fitness Sports In-Ear Headphones - Black/Silver
Offered by home AV direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a let down, 20 Aug 2013
Other reviews of these headphones had thrown me off but I took the plunge and got a pair in the black and silver. These headphones are nothing but awesomeness and ooze quality.

I had previously owned Avantalk Joggers and the Denon W-150s are in another league entirely. Maybe Denon have updated this model and ironed out the issues other reviewers had complained about, I don't know. What I do know is that the range is superb. I deliberately tested the range when they arrived walking up half way down garden (15ft) before heading back. I experienced no drop outs or stuttering. They feel solid, and hook on the ears nicely, they feel comfortable and don't move around. I have the type of ears that headphone buds fall out of if I so much as breathe. I don't have trophy ears but chimp ears, these headphones do not make my ears look big.

Battery life is great, been running for 4 hours so far on a single charge so enough time to do a marathon with these on. No issues with sweat/water but have not taken them out in the rain yet. Eyeballing they do give the impression they would handle water really well but will have to see.

The case that comes with them is a little small but once you are used to it, it is fit for purpose and protects the headphones nicely. There is room in there for the charging cable too. There are plenty of different silicone ear bud sizes supplied so you should not have any trouble with them fitting snugly in your ear canal be they the size of the Grand Canyon or a pin prick.

So to summarise:

Pros

1. Looks awesome.
2. Quality/solid feel.
3. Buttons are easy to use even with large fingers.
4. No connectivity or range issues.
5. Great volume.
6. Great accessories.

Cons

1. Speakers cannot handle top volumes too well but a quick play with equalisers sorts this out completely. This is only on very bassy music like dubstep/hip-hop/drum and bass.
2. SEE UPDATE.

UPDATE: 5th September and they have just started crackling loudly and wont turn on/off correctly. Do not know what happened as no abuse, water or anything of note happened and been keeping em in their case in between. Just been running with em four/five times a week for under a month. Will be returning them but such a let down as they had been perfect up till now. 5 starts down to 1 - cannot give em anything if they break after barely any light use.

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey 2273 g Strawberry Protein Shake Powder

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tasting isolate, 11 Feb 2012
Just got this through yesterday and it tastes really great. I thought one of the other guys was kidding when he was counting the seconds till his next shake but, no joke, it is really delicious (I got the strawberry version). I mix it in with 200ml of cold skimmed milk and no lumps or clumps.

The 2.2kg has 77 servings so should last between 5-6 weeks consuming twice a day. If my training intensifies more may move up to 3 per training day. At that rate the 2.2kg would last between 3-4 weeks.

As a protein isolate powder it has a higher protein content than run-of-the-mill whey shakes.

Early days with this shake yet but it is already vast improvement over my previous one which had a couple of minor, but undesirable side effects. No problems with this whatsoever. Definitely worth the money.

Sapphire 11190-02-20G AMD HD6450 1GB DDR3 Lite Retail PCI-E Graphics Card
Sapphire 11190-02-20G AMD HD6450 1GB DDR3 Lite Retail PCI-E Graphics Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HTPC card, 25 Aug 2011
Just upgraded my HTPC with this card.

The pros:

1. 1080p playback is flawless.
2. Audio over HDMI with no additional connections internally or externally (make sure you set as your default audio output source in your OS).
3. Fits very nicely into the slimline case and does not interfere with the remaining slots.
4. Low profile bracket was included.
5. Low cost.
6. Passive heatsink = zero noise.

The cons:

1. As another reviewer mentions, do not expect this card to be able to run the latest and greatest games, it simply is not designed for that. Don't expect and you won't be disappointed.

Cannot fault it...an all round HTPC card winner.

Samsung BX2450 24 inch widescreen Series 50 LED Monitor (5000000:1, 250cd/m2, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, VGA, HDMI (Charcoal Grey)) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor at an amazing price... but beware, 27 Dec 2010
Want to get one thing straight before I go into detail that I absolutely love this monitor. It is by far the best one I have owned to date in over 20 years. I liked it so much I now have purchased two more ahead of my new tower. That being said it does have its issues that cannot be ignored.

For a while I was holding out for a 26/27" but 24" is perfect in size for 1080p (1920x1080).

I so badly wanted to give it 5 stars but could not for various reasons:

Pros

Super gorgeous - what else would you expect by now from Sammy
Contrast ratio
Cables - was afraid I was going to have to go out and buy a DVI -> HDMI but one was included. Big win right there. Was also nervous about the missing UK adapter in some other reviews. Not the case with mine, all present and correct.
Response time (<5ms) - what more can you ask for, a notable difference when gaming (previously had a Dell value LCD).
Touch button menus - adds to the aesthetic value as no garish buttons in the corner of your bezel.
Price - < £200 = bargain

Cons

Not height adjustable.
ATI compatability at 1080p - this has been mentioned in other reviews so will not go into detail. Will just say the blame probably lies with both ATI and Sammy but cannot help feeling more with ATI considering it works with Catalyst Centre 10.6.
Touch button menus - they add to the look but are a pain to get used to.
No mounting points - if you want to put it in another stand or wall mount these puppies you are outta luck.

All the cons I can live with but don't buy this monitor if these will be issues for you. Damn you Samsung so close to my perfect monitor, you really fell at the final hurdle with this one. As said before though it has not stopped me from getting two more. Just make sure when you buy this you go in with your eyes open.

Update 12/01/2010

Works perfectly with new NVIDIA card. Still a fantastic piece of kit.

A Thousand Sons (The Horus Heresy)
A Thousand Sons (The Horus Heresy)
by Graham McNeill

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any WH40K fan, 7 Sep 2010
A Thousand Sons is surely one of, if not the best of the series to date. When I first received it I was daunted by the length of the book. It is so necessary and could have been even longer. It had me hooked every minute and could not put it down till finished. It covers several major key events which are pre-cursors to the Heresy which I won't spoil here and does not disappoint in the detail save for one event which was skimmed over. A bloody good book. If you ask yourself one question today it should be why you have not bought it already? Five stars without hesitation.

Furious Angels [+ Bonus Instrumental CD]
Furious Angels [+ Bonus Instrumental CD]
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 5 Mar 2010
I bought this years ago and just recently dug it out again. It has not lost any of its amazing impact. Truly one of the great albums that transcends genres. Favourite track is "I'm Not Driving Anymore" (both instrumental and vocal versions). If you ask yourself one question today it should be why you have not bought this yet?

His voice may not to be to everyone's taste (but you have Spotify and previews to make that decision), personally I think it really makes some of these tracks. Would love to hear more from Mr. Dougan but it has been quite a while now. If this is his legacy to the world of music it will certainly be a case of quality over quantity.

Wired--up Quality Leather Faux Case Pouch for Apple iPhone 3G - Black
Wired--up Quality Leather Faux Case Pouch for Apple iPhone 3G - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, 1 Mar 2010
Nice little case for the price. It takes a little while to wear in but this certainly cuts the mustard. If you need frequent easy screen access this type of case is not for you. It is perfect for me though.

Linksys by Cisco WUSB600N Wireless-N USB Network Adapter with Dual-Band
Linksys by Cisco WUSB600N Wireless-N USB Network Adapter with Dual-Band

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little network adapter, 1 Mar 2010
I hooked this up to my Vista x64 box with no problems at all. Was aware of the issues with Windows 7 but looks like the Linksys website has new drivers. Still very poor on Linksys' part to release a supposedly compatible product that was blatently not (false advertising). I am going to try the new drivers on my W7 laptop this week but first try the drivers that come with the box. It looks great and performs great with Vista. There are cheaper adapters out there so cannot give it 5 stars.

GreyMobiles Black Dock Charger Desktop Stand For Apple iPhone 3G 3GS (8GB 16GB 32GB)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little stand, 1 Mar 2010
This is a nice little stand for my 3GS and the finish matches the phone itself. Does exactly what it says on the tin and I have had no problems. Good product. Going to get another one for work so my 3GS does not have to lay on my desk and scratch the back.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken in less than 2 months, 19 Feb 2010
I got these as a Christmas present. Had previously owned some headphones for my PC by Sennheiser that lasted years. Down to business. Sound quality is not great, the rubber around the speakers has no grip whatsoever, the button on the stalk is recessed and therefore almost impossible to press if you have large fingers and now they have broken after less than two months.I used them with my 3GS for my commute into London and sitting at my desk at work. I have not put them through any strenuous wear and tear. Deeply disappointed. The one redeeming feature is they look good. Spend your money on another set, these are a waste.