Profile for Wordy > Reviews

FOLDING PLASTIC TABLE- HAMBLE/ASHLEY
FOLDING PLASTIC TABLE- HAMBLE/ASHLEY
Offered by FastcarDirect - 24 Hour Dispatch

5.0 out of 5 stars WHITE PLASTIC FOLDING TABLE, 14 Aug. 2013
Took pot luck in purchasing this table as there was no product detail - size etc. Having read some of the positive reviews I thought perhaps it may well be suitable for my needs. It is perfect and more sturdy than I thought it would be. Perfect height and width - lightweight and easy to open out and fold away and takes very little storage place. Excellent price, although I thought the postage was a bit steep.

Think the seller would do well with showing more pictures and product detail

Dancing with Mules
Dancing with Mules
by Morag Prunty

1.0 out of 5 stars What a draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Dancing with Mules (Paperback)
This is the worst book I can recall reading. I didn't find this book fun nor did I have any 'laugh out loud' moments.

I wanted to give this book up so many times but pesevered and it took me a whole week which is so unlike me.

I found a couple dozen pages worth reading - the only characters that had anything about them was Lorna and Gloria and should have been explored more. King, the man looking for an irish wife, was completely bizzare as was his P.A. Skip. Skip's annoying fantasising was annoying and boring to read. The book and it's characters are completely shallow, no depth to the book at all and dipping into the different characters' lives was tedious and did not flow at all. Most of the characters should not have made an appearance at all for the impact they made. In fact they should all be locked in a room and the key thown away.

Really sad as the idea of the book could have really worked as could some of the characters.

I could never recommend this book to anyone.

Mini Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 6)
Mini Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 6)
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Fab', 20 Mar. 2011
Better than the last - which is as it should be. Sophie doesn't disappoint - you can guarantee each new book will top the previous one and long may it continue.

The book has the usual suspects which fans will already love - don't know how she does it but the characters are still full of wonderful personality. Family is zanier than ever and plenty of laugh out loud moments. Daughter Minnie - well can't wait to see how she grows up.

Have no idea where the author dreams up the situations Becky finds herself in and the clever way in which they are resolved. So many moments that you want to tell somebody else about - so have now decided by b/f has to read the whole shopaholic series so he can not only listen but understand my waffling.

Needless to say can't wait to see where the next book will take us - never want this series to end!

To The Moon And Back
To The Moon And Back
by Jill Mansell

5.0 out of 5 stars To the Moon and Back, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: To The Moon And Back (Hardcover)
Although I have read all of Jill Mansells books I kept walking past this one - why -because I thought the front cover looked really cheesy - sad I know but if something looks attractive you are normally drawn to it. Anyway I finally got over myself and ready the synopsis and the book.

Feeling really down and sad as though my world was ending I picked up the book and started reading and got lost in it and looked forward to picking it up each day and reading some more to lose myself in another world - dramatic I know but a hell of a pick me up.

Absolutely adored it, book full of love, loss, heartache, infidelity and friendship with a lot of fun moments to boot.

Fell in love with all the characters, well except Niall of course! So well written very stylish with charm and houmour. The interaction with the characters is excellent - funny, frustrating, sad and extremely witty. They all gradually and seamlessy come together through various meetings and introductions. Will admit to lots of tingly warm moments and actually felt the sad hollowness when the story demanded it.

This is the first 5 I have given and I read at least 2/3 books a week - I can't recommend it enough whatever mood you are in!

Am pleased that at least one of my favourite authors hasn't changed her style of writing and is giving her fans' what they want!

The Wild Zone
The Wild Zone
by Joy Fielding

1.0 out of 5 stars Wild Zone, 14 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Wild Zone (Paperback)
You pick up a Joy Fielding book and know it's going to be a page turner, nail biting suspense ending with a twist - not so with Wild Zone.

Younger half brother Will goes to stay with his estranged elder brother Jeff and his girlfriend. Jeff has always been jealous of the love showered on his younger brother whilst Will has always been jealous of Jeff's looks and charming ways not to mention his ability of getting any woman into his bed. Kristen, Jeff's girlfriend, allows Jeff to do whatever he wants with whoever his wishes and joins in if invited. All this in the belief that allowing him his freedom he won't leave her. Then there is Tom's psychopathic friend who is jealous of everything and everyone. The story revolves around 'Suzy' the mysterious, abused women.

All the characters have emotional problems stemming from their childhood - other than following the characters day to day for a short period of time nothing happens. The book is empty and pointless and I found it difficult to feel anything for the characters despite their awful childhoods - which is rather unusual for me, so I can't put my finger on why this was.

I wanted to give up with this book so many times and did everything to avoid reading it and thus took me longer to finish it - but to be fair I have read almost every one of Joy Fielding books bar 3/4 and this is the first I have hated

Very disappointing and not worth money, time or effort.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2011 9:24 AM GMT

Rough Justice (The 7th Spider Shepherd Thriller) (Spider Shepherd Thrillers)
Rough Justice (The 7th Spider Shepherd Thriller) (Spider Shepherd Thrillers)
by Stephen Leather

4.0 out of 5 stars Rough Justice, 10 Feb. 2011
OOOOOOOOer Mr Leather!! What an EXCELLENT book - I find myself feeling very gushing towards this book and without shame! What a daring man to go where others would fear to tread - I have to admit to gnawing at my knuckles at some of the sensitive and topical subjects dealt within this book and thinking 'how on earth have you got away with this' then leaving my knuckles in order to grin - I am in awe!

A few sub-plots skillfully thrown in alongside the main story line. Bang up to date politically, re; the criminal justice system, political correctness etc - and more importantly it doesn't make the book 'heavy' or detract from the story.

The only point I would have to make is that SOCA do now have powers of arrest which came about via the SOCA Act around 2006/7 ish - although I believe it is up to the 'powers that be' which officers' are to be given the same powers as Police Officers - I would expect field officers...

How many emotive subjects does this man manage to touch upon in one book!!! - most of which we, ourselves would love to rant and rave about regardless of what creed, colour, sex we are. He does all this without causing any offence to the reader using different characters' relaying their thoughts and opinions about the criminal justice, policing, sentencing and political correctness to name a few - and one will wonder why police officers roll out of bed in the morning and do their job.

Vigilante cops imparting out their own forms of justice on criminals in an 'eye for and eye' way. You will initially find yourself forgetting that what they are doing is unlawful and very wrong as you become so engrossed in the story and find yourself empathising with them, that is until they become too extreme then you don't need the reminder.

'Shepherd' finds himself confronted with crossing 'the thing blue line' on a personal level in at least two of the sub-plots. The question is could you? Would you? Only in a book.

There were a couple of pages towards to the end and the closure of the Vigilante cops, where I thought the conversation between 'Spider' and one of the cops was yawn worthy and I couldn't match it with 'Spider's' character.

The book ends with a cliff hanger involving one of the characters that often makes an appearance.

You will find yourself thinking about subjects raised, long after you put the book down and would have to be a very lucky person if you do not relate to any of them.

Before I go and reach for my soap box - this book is well worth reading.

Never Look Away
Never Look Away

4.0 out of 5 stars Never Look Away, 3 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Never Look Away (Kindle Edition)
This is the first time I have read this author, picked up in desperation as I was scratching around looking for another decent author.

I was pleasantly surprised with this book and thought it was very well written, although no page turner, it was definately a good read. I really enjoyed the clever little twists that were thrown in, it's been a long time since I have read a book with unexpected turn of event.

Not for you if you are expecting fast chases and fights.

Definately worth reading!

Worth Dying For (Jack Reacher)
Worth Dying For (Jack Reacher)
by Lee Child

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth waiting for, 26 Jan. 2011
What a disappointment - a continuation of 61 hours? No. I paragraph covered how Reacher escaped and a poor paragraph that was.

Thriller? the only thrill I got was finishing the book and yep you got it - I thought 'er'

Having said that, I did get excited at page 166 when the book actually started oh and then it flopped. A few chapters in the book were worth reading

Reacher in a deserted town in Nebraska and the story centres the criminal family the 'Duncans' a family of bullies consisting of 4 men (and a battered wife) who manage to bully a town of 40 odd farms and others. Whilst waiting for a mysterious van delivery, which has been delayed, Reachers natural ability of attracting 'trouble' kicks off events leading to the Duncans bringing in two 'tough guys' sent by their 'clients' to add to their existing team, to bring down Reacher. When this doesn't happen two more are sent from the third link and then the fourth link with the 5th link in the chain remaining anonymous. Yes it is really as ridiculous as it sounds.

Reacher becomes a 'thug' and inflicts more injuries than are necessary because his sensibilities are offended. I absolutely love Reacher but not in this book. Where was his usual sense of right -v- wrong? His super human ability of resolving difficulties and escaping with a scrape or two?

I found this book painful and instead of reading it in the normal two sittings it took double the time.

Whether Lee Child used a ghost writer or he is simply all 'written out' who knows but it is not a book worthy of a 'best selling author'. This seems to be an endemic problem at the moment with all my favourite and 'best selling authors' and loyality cannot be expected it has to be deserved. I can see the likes of Lisa and Meg Gardiner, Karen Rose, Karin Slaughter etc taking of the best selling authors list at least they are currently writing books WORTH paying FOR!!!

Undone
Undone
by 0
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Broken, 16 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Undone (Mass Market Paperback)
Karin Slaughter is one of my favourite authors and I look forward to reading her new realeases. This storyline, as per the norm, was excellent. As always I was kept guessing until I was given the clues as intended.

There was, however, something missing with this book that prevented me from reading it in the usual 2 sittings and which was due to my annoyance with 'Will Trent and Lena Adams'.

I could no longer overlook Will Trent's dyslexia, as there was a lot more focus on his problem and it seems that he does not have a mild form of dyslexia. It made the success of his career somewhat unbelievable although he uses colour codes and memory to help him. He has to rely on a colleague to read documents to aide his investigation. How he has risen through the ranks unable to write and read statements/reports/road signs and so forth without detection is beyond me. He doesn't appear to use any other aides ie; a computer system that he can speak into to type for him. That aside, his character is deep and he has many endearing qualities - lets hope with 'Sara Linton' now on his side his dyslexia can be helped to a certain and more believable degree.

I hope we have also seen the last of Lena Adams, this book made me feel sick to the back teeth of hearing about her mistakes and her flaws and although it made me have conflicting thoughts when certain events were seen through her eyes and empathise with her I think her character is at the end.

This book has left an opening for 'Sara and Will's' relationship to develope either in her new home town or back to Grant County where her family still reside.

The Pact
The Pact
by Roberta Kray

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pact, 6 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Pact (Paperback)
I was surprised with this book as I have read a few of Roberta Kray's books and found them 'wanting' although readable. This in fact was excellent and I found it hard to put down. This book is on par with Cole, Heller and Keene A must read - do it!

Page: 1 | 2