Profile for T. Halligan > Reviews

Content by T. Halligan

T. Halligan (Liverpool, UK)

Poetic SLIMLINE Portfolio Case for Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet Black (Final Version)
Offered by Smart Shop Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but re-release still isn't right!, 25 Sep 2012
I pre-ordered this product and received an e-mail stating that the first version had a defect, and so the release date would be pushed back.

On the new release date, I received an e-mail stating that my case had shipped (woohoo!) and that a fault was identified which meant that the cover could not hold itself shut. This meant that Poetic would be fixing this defect and that they would send me the fixed version free of charge once it was ready.

I have been using this product since then - it does the job, looks nice, and although it can be a little clunky to get at the power / volume buttons, I've had no major issue APART form the fact that it is incapable of holding itself closed.

I have now received the 'fixed' version of this case and lo and behold, the exact same issue exists. It actually seems a little worse, and is more prone to getting 'stuck' open if you use the folding front cover to create a stand for your Nexus. I will probably be switching back to the first version because at least that didn't get stuck open quite so much.

This IS a good product - it looks good, fits perfectly, and has taken every little bump and scrap without fuss. However, the fact that the magnetic closing lid is basically useless (although the 'open-to-wake' functionality does work well) because this thing will open at the slightest hint of a gravitational pull.

I wish I could give this case more stars - but if you can't rely on it staying closed until YOU open it, then you can't really rely on it to protect your Nexus screen. If you use this case, it probably helps to keep your tablet in a bag with some other stuff to make sure the cover doesn't fall open as you travel.

I can't fault Poetic for their customer service - they've kept me updated every step of the way and getting two covers for the price of one is a good deal in anyone's book - it's just a shame that the problem they aimed to fix with the second release still exists, and actually seems to have gotten worse!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2013 10:37 PM BST

Creative ZEN Vision:M 30GB MP3 / Multi-Media Player - Black
Creative ZEN Vision:M 30GB MP3 / Multi-Media Player - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 May 2006
I wanted an mp3 player to save me lugging all of my CDs up to my new house in September (student), and since I had heard bad stories about the iPods, I opted for this.

It's a little more expensive but is definately worth the extra money. The player is very simple to use, although a quick browse through the manual will definately help you out since the menu system can seem pretty bizarre at first.

The picture and sound quality is absolutely amazing - I was expecting a slightly above-average mobile phone screen, but after watching a few music videos on this thing I was stunned.

The firmware for me was a bit tricky to upgrade, and I had to reset the player once I had done it because it got stuck in the 'Docked' state (ie, it thought it was connected to the computer), but pressing the reset button only tells the player to turn itself off completely and then back on, so you don't lose any of your files.

You can customise the player's menus and settings very easily through the system menu, and you can even set your own wallpapers, which is a nice feature (pick a good contrast one though, since you can only change the text colour by changing the whole theme).

The sound quality is superb, you won't tell the difference between the player and an ordinary CD, and the radio is pretty good too. It's not a DAB radio though, which would have been a brilliant feature to have, but if you're within the range of a radio station the quality should be ok. You can record the radio too, which is always good. I haven't used the built in mic yet but other reviews have said it's good quality.

My only gripe is that the player doesn't come with a decent protecting case. Seriously, you'd think they'd come as standard now. Instead you get some stupid looking leather pouch, which is basically useless since you have to take the player out completely to use it, and you can't even attach the pouch to anything anyway. Absolutely no reason for it to be included. The 'screen protector' which is stuck on by default is one of those little rubbery things you sometimes see on wrist watches and gameboy screens etc. Mine came with two little air bubbles which don't really interfere with the display at all, but I'll have to live with because there's no way I'm taking it off until I get a decent carry case for it. Just read other reviews to see how easy this thing is to scratch, I've been lucky so far and it's in mint condition. I would recommend you buy a decent carry case / screen protector at the same time as you buy this.

Overall it's a fantastic player and the software works flawlessly, even though my brother has a different Creative mp3 player installed too. No conflicts whatsoever. Oh, but do turn off your antivirus while you're installing, as it will slow right down. It's very easy to sync, (just click 'sync', how hard is that?), and you can also download 'ZenCasts', which are essentially podcasts. You can also flag tracks to buy from ZenCasts, by pressing the bottom right button and then scrolling down. I assume it works by opening up the store the next time you connect the player to your PC.

Definately buy this over the iPod, you won't regret it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2007 1:14 PM GMT