Profile for Tim > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 898

Tim (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AGPtek 3M USB Male To XLR Female Microphone MIC Link Cable Studio Audio Adapter Connector
Offered by Mamabate Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 23 April 2015
I was sent this cable free of charge, in order to provide my unbiased review.

I've been very impressed with the cable, having achieved some nice, clear recordings on my laptop when pairing it with a Behringer XM8500 microphone.

The connectors and cable are of sturdy construction , with the built-in soundcard chip discreetly concealed inside the USB plug. Windows 8.1 quickly recognised it as a USB PnP audio device. After a quick adjustment of the level slider, I was good to go.

If I set the laptop to output real-time foldback sound, there's a small amount of latency (a fraction of a second), but not enough to both me; it may be that this is due to the laptop, rather than this cable, in any case.

As a simple way to make good-quality recordings on your computer (much better quality than an in-built microphone or a webcam can achieve), I would highly recommend this cable.

Apple or Fruit Picker with long handle by Burgon & Ball
Apple or Fruit Picker with long handle by Burgon & Ball
Offered by Garden Selections Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 April 2015
This is an excellent item, which will make harvesting my plums much quicker and easier in future (no more dangerous wobbles leaning too far on a step ladder!). The hose-clip fastener holds the cage very tightly to the pole. My only very minor criticism is that the pole is untreated pine, and so may rot eventually, but I can easily treat it myself if needs be.

Delivery from the seller Primrose was a bit of a saga, as the first two attempts came minus the wooden pole. I presume it had become detached in transit, since the hose-clips were loose. I finally got the pole on the third attempt. Primrose's customer service was, however, excellent, resending the item without any fuss. I've suggested they package it better in future, so hopefully this won't affect anyone else.

Practise & Learn: French (Ages 9-11) - with vocab CD-ROM
Practise & Learn: French (Ages 9-11) - with vocab CD-ROM

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, 12 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This short, written work-book provides good practice material for children who have already learnt a bit of French. It's well laid out and colourful. The accompanying CD-ROM is a bit of a hassle to install and run, and seems rather antiquated in this Internet age. It provides the correct pronunciation for each word of French vocab in the workbook, when the word is clicked on. In contrast to the book, the CD-ROM is exceedingly dull in its presentation. Overall, this is a good practice book for primary-school French learners. At a mere 30 pages, it doesn't last very long, though.

11+ English Practice Book with Assessment Tests (Ages 7-8)
11+ English Practice Book with Assessment Tests (Ages 7-8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This 70-page booklet (plus pull-out answer book) is intended for parents to use with their children.

It contains a useful set of lessons and graded practice tests. The lessons are divided into separate sections on grammar, punctuation, spelling, word types, and writing. They are laid out clearly, with good use of blue ink--in addition to black--to highlight headings and examples. The lessons are followed by eight 25-minute tests, which get progressively harder.

I can't fault this book, apart from one minor grammatical error ("The old lady wished she was back at home", on page 6, should be in the subjunctive). This would be completely forgiveable in most contexts, but is slightly less so in a chapter on grammar!

Recommended.

30 flossers with extra strong floss
30 flossers with extra strong floss
Offered by Health on the Shelf

1.0 out of 5 stars Plastic is too flexible, 8 April 2015
I found these completely useless: the plastic is too flexible and cannot maintain sufficient tension in the floss for it to get between some of my teeth. The whole pack has had to go in the bin. The Wisdom Easy Floss Daily Flosser is better.

GCSE Core Science for AQA: Student Book with Interactive Online Edition
GCSE Core Science for AQA: Student Book with Interactive Online Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars A good textbook, 6 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This textbook is nicely laid out with clear writing, a logical structure, and good use of drawings. I haven't checked it against the syllabus, but assume that it covers everything that needs to be known. It's easy to read, although the chatty style sometimes grates and might sound patronising to some teenagers ("Kinda makes sense.", etc.). The use of "Tip" boxes is also a bit strange: sometimes they will indeed be tips (a reminder of a fact presented elsewhere, or advice about what needs to be learnt for the GCSE exam), but more often they introduce completely new facts that should really be in the main text instead (e.g., "The strength of an earthquake can be measured on the Richter scale." -- this is a fact, not a "tip"). Overall, however, this is a nice book, which should aid learning and revision.

Lexar Professional JumpDrive S35 16GB USB 3.0 (150MB/s) Swivel Rotate Design Flash Drive Memory Stick - Teal

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast interface, but plasticky design, 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
File transfers to and from this memory stick are very fast with a USB 3.0 port. It comes with some encryption software that is a little clunky (and tries to get you to buy an upgrade for additional features), but works OK. My main dissatisfaction with this drive is that it is not at all easy to spin the housing round to protect the connector during storage; there are no convenient places to grip, and there is a lot of friction between the sliding plastic surfaces. The connector itself is also made of plastic. This means that it does not meet official USB 3.0 specifications, which require a metal shell with various EMI contact zones, and - more significantly - it makes it rather stiff to insert into a socket.

Sennheiser MX686G Earbud Sports Headset - Galaxy
Sennheiser MX686G Earbud Sports Headset - Galaxy

4.0 out of 5 stars Secure with reasonable sound quality., 23 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was interested to see how these would compare with the Sennheiser/Adidas MX 680 earphones I normally use when cycling.

The main difference is that these MX686G's sit further inside the ear and therefore isolate a lot more ambient sound. However, they do not completely block the ear canal, like many in-ear phones do, and I therefore regard them as still giving a useful level of background awareness.

They also engage much more securely with my ear, and less likely to be knocked out of position by the straps of my bike helmet (especially once I realised that the rubber hook parts can be extended, and once I then fixed them in their extended position with some sellotape). For this reason, I've switched to using them, instead of the MX680's.

I find the Android remote control extremely useful. That said, it's fiddly to use with gloves (three separate buttons for volume up, volume down and pause would be much more sensible, rather than this combined bar).

Sound-wise, they are OK. For casual listening during sport, it's fine. For serious listening in a quite environment, I would look elsewhere, as I found the sound from these to be strangely distant, with higher frequencies a bit muted.

One final thing I like is the flattened cable. It really does reduce knots and tangles.

Pack of 4 Boxershort Fabio Farini Underwear Cotton Rise Underwear Pants, size:XL;colour:2x Red 2x Black
Offered by Outlet7

2.0 out of 5 stars Undersized and no fly, 23 Mar. 2015
Following advice by other reviewers, I ordered XL, even though I normally wear 34 or 36 inch trousers. This fit is good. I certainly wouldn't want it any tight. The biggest disappointment, however, is the lack of any fly. Perhaps this is common with this style of underwear, but it's a pain. Every pair of trousers I own has a fly, so not having a corresponding opening in my underwear is ridiculous.

Ultrasport Rapunzel 330700001011 Children's Climbing Rope 2.6 x 250 cm
Ultrasport Rapunzel 330700001011 Children's Climbing Rope 2.6 x 250 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but tricky for younger children, 2 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This rope is of a good thickness, with a sturdy metal hanging eye. It attached easily to my Plum Colobus Triple Swing Set. The plastic foot-holds are held on by clamps, bonded at intervals along the rope. It's not possible to alter the spacing of the foot-holds. The rope itself is comfortable to hold, if a little slippery. It looks very weather resistant, assuming the hanging loop is rust-proof (...time will tell).

My four-year-old girls enjoy being lifted to sit on one of the foot-holds, and then swinging on the rope, but have not managed to climb it yet. The climbing technique requires the climber's weight to be applied through both feet simultaneously, since a single foot will just slip off sideways. My daughters found this rather frustrating.

To climb it successfully, a child must bear her entire weight on her arms while moving her feet from one hold to the next. Perhaps a more coordinated four-year-old might manage this, but I suspect my girls won't succeed for a quite some time yet.

The 3-12 age range seems a bit optimistic to me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20