Profile for Tim > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 859

Tim (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tenvis iProbot3 HD 720P(1280x720) H264 Wireless Wifi IP Network CCTV Camera IR Cut 5x ZOOM Pan/Tilt PTZ, Day/Night Vision, Motion Detection/Alarm, iPhone & Android Mobile View (Black)
Offered by GLOBALEBUY-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A very capable camera, 17 Oct 2014
The manufacturer has asked me to review this camera, which I did not pay for.

I had some initial trouble getting the camera to work, but this was my fault for not reading the instructions: I plugged the included Ethernet cable into my laptop, rather than into my network router, as is required. On a Windows PC, you need to download a software application from the Tenvis website, which searches your network for the camera. Once you have found it, and know the IP address of the camera, you can open up a web browser and access the camera's built-in web server.

The quality of the video is excellent. I was especially impressed by the night-vision mode; the infrared LEDs are surprisingly powerful. The swivelling camera head moves nearly silently around 360 degrees, giving excellent coverage.

Setting up alerts took a bit of fiddling with the settings, but I eventually managed to get both FTP and email alerts working. For security monitoring, you can get still images and/or short video clips uploaded to an FTP server whenever movement is detected in user-defined hot-spots.

Unlike many Chinese manufacturers, Tenvis have clearly worked hard to get the English in the user manuals and web configuration screens to a good standard.

Overall, I am very impressed. The technology has moved on a long way from the first wireless camera I had, over ten years ago, which was very grainy and clunky to use.

Hide the Word
Hide the Word

5.0 out of 5 stars More great bible verses set to music, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: Hide the Word (MP3 Download)
If you have enjoyed Steve Green's Hide 'Em In Your Heart albums, then you'll like this new album too. It doesn't do anything radically different: a short bible verse is set to a catchy tune, sung by Steve Green with the assistance of a few children. The spoken introductions by Steve Green, which were a feature of Hide 'Em In Your Heart, have here largely been replaced by children reading bible passages.

The musical arrangements are a pretty similar mix of very soft ballads and slightly more up-beat numbers. It's all very gentle though. Some of the synthesiser sounds feel a bit 1990s, but I don't think it's any the worse for that. The singing is lovely and overall it's a great way of letting more bible truths sink into children's and adults' hearts and minds.

I was slightly disappointed that, at the time of writing (October 2014), nobody, including Amazon, stocks the CD in the UK. I contacted Steve Green Ministries and was told there are no immediate plans to supply the CD to UK distributors, so it's just the mp3 download or a personal import of the CD from the United States for now.

Numatic Henry or Hetty Microtex Filter Genuine Part 604311
Numatic Henry or Hetty Microtex Filter Genuine Part 604311
Offered by Aid Cleaning Store

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile upgrade to a standard Henry, 3 Oct 2014
This isn't cheap, but it's noticeably better than the standard filter that came with my Henry. It has a layer of quilting in addition to the standard fabric.

I understand that, when used with Numatic's Hepa-Flo bags, it provides HEPA Level 11 standard filtration, and effectively upgrades a standard Henry to a Henry Micro. It has certainly eliminated the vague dust smells that used to emanate from my Henry. It would be good for anyone with a dust allergy.

Sink Strainer Kitchen Bath Bathroom Basin Plug Hole Filter Hair Trap - Twin Pack - UK Dispatch - Cherry's Store
Offered by Cherry's Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hair strainers, 1 Oct 2014
These are excellent little hair traps -- ideal for a bath or shower.

Unlike some traps, these are made of solid stainless steel, rather than being chromed plastic, so shouldn't deteriorate.

I've previously used some rather similar bath strainers that have slightly smaller holes. The larger holes on the present traps impede the flow of water less, so make it less likely that my shower stall will overflow when I'm running the shower hard. (That said, even with these strainers, I still find that air bubbles sometimes sit underneath the trap, reducing the rate of drainage rather dramatically; this may just be due to dodgy plumbing though!).

I've also tried mesh strainers, but find that they quickly clog with soap scum, and are more difficult to empty.

For this price, you really can't ask for more.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2014 12:35 PM BST

Leifheit Airboard Deluxe XL 72589 Ironing Board
Leifheit Airboard Deluxe XL 72589 Ironing Board
Offered by KG Homewares

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 30 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This ironing board is significantly larger than my old board, but weighs no more. It is really strikingly lightweight. It also has a very easy height adjustment lever, which allows for infinite adjustment (much easier than fumbling underneath the board to hook a leg into the right notch, as is required with my old board).

On the negative side, the cover arrived with a number of wrinkles in its surface, which no amount of tugging on the drawstring tensioning cord has removed. It has improved a bit with use, but the cover still isn't entirely flat. I also remain to be convinced by the moveable iron resting plate. It attaches with a giant plastic bulldog clip, but can shift around if knocked. It also prevents the legs from folding flat if it's clipped on the far end (which seems a natural place for it).

If you are after a large but lightweight board, then this could well fit the bill.

Go MINI Twin Turbo Raceway
Go MINI Twin Turbo Raceway

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, quick fun, 25 Sep 2014
This review is from: Go MINI Twin Turbo Raceway (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It took quite a bit of wiggling and shoving to assemble the track correctly, during which a few of the tabs snapped off the safety barriers, despite doing it quite carefully. But then it was up and -- whizz! -- we were off. And how these little cars go!

The triggers on the controllers are a bit binary, but it doesn't really matter since there is barely time to ease off for a corner anyway, before your car is round for the next lap. The low speed setting slows things down slightly, although it's still possible for a car to flip off on this setting, despite the manufacturer's claims to the contrary.

Racing these cars is not a highly skilled art. The relatively crude controllers mean that whether you flip or not seems more down to luck than judgement. Nevertheless, it is good fun, especially for the kids. Just don't expect it to provide hours of entertainment at a sitting.

It takes 8 AA cells, but there is also a socket for a 12V DC adapter. The included web link for buying said adapter accessory didn't work for me, but a universal adapter like this one would probably work just as well (although I haven't tested it to confirm this).

Overall, this raceway is good for a bit of high-octane fun, but I'm not sure it's going to have the long-term repeat appeal of some of my children's other toys.

SINK BATH STRAINER WASTE TRAP STAINLESS STEEL 75MM WIDEST 43MM CENTRE
SINK BATH STRAINER WASTE TRAP STAINLESS STEEL 75MM WIDEST 43MM CENTRE
Offered by JACOBS DISCOUNT

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, but slows the water flow, 25 Sep 2014
This is a nice strainer, being made of metal rather than plastic. However it does impede the draining of water quite significantly from my shower cubicle, to the extent that the cubicle can overflow if the shower is on high. The problem seems to be that an air pocket can form below the strainer, and the holes are too small to allow it to dissipate.

Acme BK01 Ultrathin Bluetooth Keyboard
Acme BK01 Ultrathin Bluetooth Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for nimble fingers; not UK layout, 23 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an elegant little keyboard.

It's very thin, so will slip easily into a bag, but still sturdy because of the brushed metal back plate, which has no flex in it at all. The letter keys are rectangular and are about 85% of the width of those on a full size keyboard and about 70% of the height (15mm x 12mm). The punctuation keys have been shrunk further. For a touch-typist, this took a bit of getting used to, and made my fingers feel rather bunched together. Anyone with large fingers may struggle! Speed and accuracy were much better than on a touchscreen, but I still make quite a few errors.

It's important to note that this is not a standard UK layout (no pound symbol; punctuation keys in unusual places).

Bluetooth pairing was very straightforward: the master device located the keyboard quickly, then shows an ID code, which you type into the keyboard to confirm the pairing. The keyboard has a physical on-off switch, which I like because I can be sure that there is absolutely no drain from the lithium battery when it's off. USB charging is quite quick (a couple of hours). I haven't tried running it right down, but the manufacturer claims around 50 hours of use is possible, which I have no reason to doubt.

In summary: it's a very neat keyboard, but it may take a little while to adjust to it.

My Bible Sticker Activity
My Bible Sticker Activity
by Vic Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 18 Sep 2014
My 3-year-olds love these sticker books, although they need an adult to help them with the reading. They present the stories very nicely, and provide plenty of interest to keep children engaged. To get 8 books for this price is amazing value.

Delonghi / Kenwood 2500W Fan Oven Element 062057004 (Genuine)
Delonghi / Kenwood 2500W Fan Oven Element 062057004 (Genuine)
Offered by KGA-SUPPLIES

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 18 Sep 2014
This new element was a bit of a pain to fit onto my DeLonghi DTC 90 DF range cooker because it requires access from the rear. Most oven elements can be replaced from the front, but DeLonghi inexplicably require you to remove screws from both front and back. A short gas hose on my oven made this rather tricky. But the new element is working fine, and I was pleased to have saved myself the cost of a professional repair. I went with the "genuine" element this time, but I will probably buy a generic one next time, as I suspect they all come from the same factory anyway.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20