Profile for Tim > Reviews

Lexar 16 GB USB 3.0 S35 JumpDrive Memory Stick - Blue
Lexar 16 GB USB 3.0 S35 JumpDrive Memory Stick - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast interface, but plasticky design, 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
File transfers to and from this memory stick are very fast with a USB 3.0 port. It comes with some encryption software that is a little clunky (and tries to get you to buy an upgrade for additional features), but works OK. My main dissatisfaction with this drive is that it is not at all easy to spin the housing round to protect the connector during storage; there are no convenient places to grip, and there is a lot of friction between the sliding plastic surfaces. The connector itself is also made of plastic. This means that it does not meet official USB 3.0 specifications, which require a metal shell with various EMI contact zones, and - more significantly - it makes it rather stiff to insert into a socket.

Sennheiser MX686G Earbud Sports Headset - Galaxy
Sennheiser MX686G Earbud Sports Headset - Galaxy

4.0 out of 5 stars Secure with reasonable sound quality., 23 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was interested to see how these would compare with the Sennheiser/Adidas MX 680 earphones I normally use when cycling.

The main difference is that these MX686G's sit further inside the ear and therefore isolate a lot more ambient sound. However, they do not completely block the ear canal, like many in-ear phones do, and I therefore regard them as still giving a useful level of background awareness.

They also engage much more securely with my ear, and less likely to be knocked out of position by the straps of my bike helmet (especially once I realised that the rubber hook parts can be extended, and once I then fixed them in their extended position with some sellotape). For this reason, I've switched to using them, instead of the MX680's.

I find the Android remote control extremely useful. That said, it's fiddly to use with gloves (three separate buttons for volume up, volume down and pause would be much more sensible, rather than this combined bar).

Sound-wise, they are OK. For casual listening during sport, it's fine. For serious listening in a quite environment, I would look elsewhere, as I found the sound from these to be strangely distant, with higher frequencies a bit muted.

One final thing I like is the flattened cable. It really does reduce knots and tangles.

Pack of 4 Boxershort Fabio Farini Underwear Cotton Rise Underwear Pants, size:XL;colour:2x Red 2x Black
Offered by Outlet7

2.0 out of 5 stars Undersized and no fly, 23 Mar. 2015
Following advice by other reviewers, I ordered XL, even though I normally wear 34 or 36 inch trousers. This fit is good. I certainly wouldn't want it any tight. The biggest disappointment, however, is the lack of any fly. Perhaps this is common with this style of underwear, but it's a pain. Every pair of trousers I own has a fly, so not having a corresponding opening in my underwear is ridiculous.

Ultrasport Rapunzel 330700001011 Children's Climbing Rope 2.6 x 250 cm
Ultrasport Rapunzel 330700001011 Children's Climbing Rope 2.6 x 250 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but tricky for younger children, 2 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This rope is of a good thickness, with a sturdy metal hanging eye. It attached easily to my Plum Colobus Triple Swing Set. The plastic foot-holds are held on by clamps, bonded at intervals along the rope. It's not possible to alter the spacing of the foot-holds. The rope itself is comfortable to hold, if a little slippery. It looks very weather resistant, assuming the hanging loop is rust-proof (...time will tell).

My four-year-old girls enjoy being lifted to sit on one of the foot-holds, and then swinging on the rope, but have not managed to climb it yet. The climbing technique requires the climber's weight to be applied through both feet simultaneously, since a single foot will just slip off sideways. My daughters found this rather frustrating.

To climb it successfully, a child must bear her entire weight on her arms while moving her feet from one hold to the next. Perhaps a more coordinated four-year-old might manage this, but I suspect my girls won't succeed for a quite some time yet.

The 3-12 age range seems a bit optimistic to me.

Vetra Volleyball Soft Touch Volley Ball Official Size 5 Yellow /Blue/ White Outdoor Indoor Beach Gym Game Ball New
Offered by Sport-Items

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 23 Feb. 2015
I was sent the Green / Blue / White version of this ball to review by the manufacturer. It inflated easily and is easy to throw and catch. I'm not an expert player, but can't fault this volley ball.

Vetra Volleyball Soft Touch Volley Ball Official Size 5 Green /Blue/ White Outdoor Indoor Beach Gym Game Ball New
Offered by Sport-Items

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended., 20 Feb. 2015
I was sent this ball to review by the manufacturer. It inflated easily and is easy to throw and catch. The blue, green and white colouring scheme is pleasant on the eye. I'm not an expert player, but as far I can tell, this volley ball is excellent.

Sure Men Extreme Protection Roll-On Anti-Perspirant Deodorant - 50 ml, Pack of 6

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, 16 Feb. 2015
These roll-ons work well, providing effective antiperspirant protection. They don't sting, which is a problem I found with some of other strong antiperspirants such as Odaban.

I don't think they are quite as long-lasting as the Sure Men Maximum Protection Creams, which I've used previously, although they are less messy. They are also perhaps a bit harsher than the creams on areas of sensitive skin; I presume they lack some of the moisturising power of the cream.

At the time I bought them, these roll-ons were also much better value than the Maximum Protection creams.

Life in the UK Test - Study and Practice
Life in the UK Test - Study and Practice
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely produced, 16 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really nicely produced book. I haven't seen the original government text, but I understand this book incorporates the official text, but formats it better and has added some helpful summary boxes. I'm not taking the citizenship test, but have found the book useful for filling in some gaps in my own knowledge of UK history, as well as helping to teach my daughters. Make sure you buy the latest edition though.

AmiGami Fox and Owl Figures
AmiGami Fox and Owl Figures

3.0 out of 5 stars Plastic fantastic, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: AmiGami Fox and Owl Figures (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My four-year-olds are younger than the stated 6+ age range, but really enjoyed dressing up these odd-looking creatures. Personally, I think the results look rather extraordinary, as well as being a bit plasticky, but my children don't seem to mind. An interesting, if extravagant, craft activity.

Finish Quantum Original 2 x Pack of 30 (60 Dishwasher Tablets)
Finish Quantum Original 2 x Pack of 30 (60 Dishwasher Tablets)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but gimmicky, 3 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These capsules work well and get my dishes nice and clean. Internally, they are divided into a liquid section and two powdered sections. I can't believe this is anything other than a marketing gimmick, since they are all released in the water simultaneously, when the plastic wrapper dissolves. It must be more costly to make capsules like this, and so with this product you are, to some extent, paying for style over function. But they do clean well, and so I would still recommend them regardless. They claim to have a "salt function", although this is a little misleading, since they soften water by a completely different (and inferior) mechanism from the ion-exchange resin that's already built into most dishwashers. Personally, I will keep putting salt into my dishwasher despite the "all-in-one" claims of some detergents.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20