Profile for Tim > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 895

Tim (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Poweradd™ Portable Dual-Port USB Car Charger With Built-in Micro USB Cable Power Adapter Compatible for Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3 2, Android SmartPhones, GPS, Tablets, and USB Port for iPhone 6 Plus 6 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad, iPod and Many Other Devices (Apple Cable Not Included) - Black
Offered by Poweradd

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent charger, 19 May 2015
This neat cigarette-lighter charger is very handy. I keep mine in the glove-box for emergency charging, but it would also be brilliant to take camping or to charge your phone during a long commute.

Having both a micro-USB plug and a standard USB socket (which can be used at the same time), provides additional flexibility.

The USB socket is quite a tight fit on my model, but works well. The only thing that would improve it would be a light to show when it is receiving power and/or charging. Other than that, it's perfect.

DISCLOSURE: I was sent this product free of charge in exchange for an honest review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

AGPtek USB To MIDI Keyboard Interface Converter Cable Adapter Support Windows Win XP Win Vista Mac OS
Offered by Mamabate Global

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, neat interface device, 15 May 2015
This compact unit is only a little larger than a cigarette light. It connects a computer USB port to a pair of MIDI In and Out ports and is powered from the USB port. A red LED lights to show that it's connected. The cable length is a few feet long in total.

Having not done anything with MIDI on my computer for almost 15 years, it took me a little while to persuade my Windows 8.1 laptop to talk to my digital piano (Microsoft, it seems, has decided to remove -- or at least hide -- the old MIDI Mapper interface from the latest versions of Windows, without providing any suitable replacement).

I did eventually succeed, and now the two talk happily together, via this interface unit. I've managed to record keyboard sequences on the computer, as well as getting MIDI data to play back through the piano.

The unit itself seems to be performing perfectly, without missing a beat (unlike me at the piano!). There is a small, but perceptible lag, when using live MIDI input to trigger the built-in Windows synthesizer, but I can't tell where in the chain this delay is occurring. I suspect it's the Windows software and my soundcard, rather than this MIDI interface unit. In any case, it's not a very big problem, as I can listen to the output of the piano itself when recording instead.

Disclosure: I was sent the item free in exchange for an honest review.

Wahl Pet Grooming Brush and Comb Set, 21 cm
Wahl Pet Grooming Brush and Comb Set, 21 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for dogs. Rubbish for cats., 14 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are very nice brushes, which I wouldn't mind using on my own head! The bamboo wooden handles are so much nicer than plastic equivalents.

If you are planning on grooming a dog, I have no doubt that these will prove excellent.

If, however, like me, you naively assume that a "pet grooming brush" would be suitable for grooming other animals too, including a cat, you would be mistaken.

None of these brush faces picked up any meaningful amount of fur off my cats. The label on the brush even says on the back that "stainless steel pin bristles help to de-mat and remove tangles on your dog's coat". Well that would all be fair enough, if it were marketed as a "dog grooming brush". But it isn't, and therefore it looses one star in my estimation for its misleading title.

HP F8T76AA#ABB - 17.3 FULL FEATURED BACKPACK
HP F8T76AA#ABB - 17.3 FULL FEATURED BACKPACK

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, so long as you have broad shoulders, 10 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well-built rucksack which comfortably fits my 15.6 inch HP Pavilion laptop. The laptop pouch is well padded, and the bag has a spacious main compartment, as well as five further, zipped compartments. There is also a velcro-ed front pocket.

The velcro front pocket is additionally secured by two clips straps (which need to be fastened to stop smaller items from falling out). However, when fastened, these straps block access to the zipped main compartment. Perhaps this is a security feature, but I just find it an annoyance.

More significantly, it's important to note that the straps appear to be designed for very broad shoulders. They are widely spaced where they leave the bag, and they then curve even further apart as they descend. My wife finds the straps uncomfortably wide, and even I (with quite broad shoulders) find it a bit on the wide side. An adjustable chest strap would help, but there isn't one.

If you have broad shoulders, this should be a very good rucksack. If you don't, you may find it uncomfortable.

Singleton Spey Cascade Single Malt Scotch Whisky 70 cl
Singleton Spey Cascade Single Malt Scotch Whisky 70 cl

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth & quaffable, 2 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pleasant, approachable single malt. It's very smooth, with a nice caramel flavour. It doesn't linger for long, and isn't particularly complex, but it's eminently drinkable.

Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)
Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly wobbly, but great fun, 30 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My children (aged 4, and 18 months) are very much enjoying playing with these tiles. They particularly like making flat mosaic patterns, but I'm sure they will move on to more complex three-dimensional structures soon.

The tiles themselves are colourful and sturdy. The corners are secured with metal rivets.

The tiles bind very strongly to each other when they are laid flat, or when they are piled in towers (e.g. for storage). The bond is rather less secure when they are placed at right angles to each other, as is required to build significant 3D structures. This is because the magnets cause the tiles to touch edge to edge, rather than face to face. This can lead to some significant wobbles during construction, and also means that finished structures can't be picked up and carried around (they collapse under even quite mild force). Structures are much more fragile than when using Duplo Lego, for instance. Nevertheless, this hasn't detracted from my children's enjoyment of the tiles. In fact, it teaches them to be more careful and gentle.

This set includes a good mix of square, triangular and rectangular tiles, plus a wheeled carriage, and allows a wide variety of structures to be built. Square tiles can be connected to each other in any orientation, but the rectangular tiles are more limited.

TP-LINK RE210 AC750 Universal WiFi Range Extender/Easy WiFi Booster with External Antennas (Wall Plug, WPS function, Easy Configuration, 2.4 GHz 300 Mbps, 5 GHz 433 Mbps)
Offered by Cache Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but a little tempremental, 29 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this WiFi range extender fairly easy to set up, although I imagine it could be a bit tricky if one isn't familiar with some of the relevant terminology (SSID, channel numbers, WPA, WPS, etc.). The ability to connect to the device wirelessly in order to configure it is useful (I've had similar products in the past that needed a wired Ethernet connection in order to carry out the initial configuration).

Once connected to my 2.4GHz WiFi network, it quickly set up its own extension network. I was a bit surprised to see that it decided to occupy two adjacent channels (40MHz width), when I had deliberately set my router to use just a single channel (20MHz wide), because of interference from neighbours.

My Windows 8.1 laptop sometimes takes a few attempts to connect to the new network (which I've currently given a different SSID name from my router, so that I can select which to join). But once it is connected, data flows as expected.

The reason I've only awarded it four stars, is that I've sometimes found the connection through this extender to be noticeably slower than when connecting directly to the router even when all three are in the same room as each other (within a couple of metres). I normally get a fairly stable 7Mbps download speed over my broadband connection, via my WiFi router's network, but when connecting to the Internet via this extender, speeds have sometimes plummeted to around 4Mbps. Given that this extender is supposed to support 300Mbps, a throughput of only 4Mbps is extremely poor. However, on other occasions, the extender doesn't create any bottleneck.

AGPtek 3M USB Male To XLR Female Microphone MIC Link Cable Studio Audio Adapter Connector
Offered by Mamabate Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 23 April 2015
I was sent this cable free of charge, in order to provide my unbiased review.

I've been very impressed with the cable, having achieved some nice, clear recordings on my laptop when pairing it with a Behringer XM8500 microphone.

The connectors and cable are of sturdy construction , with the built-in soundcard chip discreetly concealed inside the USB plug. Windows 8.1 quickly recognised it as a USB PnP audio device. After a quick adjustment of the level slider, I was good to go.

If I set the laptop to output real-time foldback sound, there's a small amount of latency (a fraction of a second), but not enough to both me; it may be that this is due to the laptop, rather than this cable, in any case.

As a simple way to make good-quality recordings on your computer (much better quality than an in-built microphone or a webcam can achieve), I would highly recommend this cable.

Apple or Fruit Picker with long handle by Burgon & Ball
Apple or Fruit Picker with long handle by Burgon & Ball
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 April 2015
This is an excellent item, which will make harvesting my plums much quicker and easier in future (no more dangerous wobbles leaning too far on a step ladder!). The hose-clip fastener holds the cage very tightly to the pole. My only very minor criticism is that the pole is untreated pine, and so may rot eventually, but I can easily treat it myself if needs be.

Delivery from the seller Primrose was a bit of a saga, as the first two attempts came minus the wooden pole. I presume it had become detached in transit, since the hose-clips were loose. I finally got the pole on the third attempt. Primrose's customer service was, however, excellent, resending the item without any fuss. I've suggested they package it better in future, so hopefully this won't affect anyone else.

Practise & Learn: French (Ages 9-11) - with vocab CD-ROM
Practise & Learn: French (Ages 9-11) - with vocab CD-ROM
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, 12 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This short, written work-book provides good practice material for children who have already learnt a bit of French. It's well laid out and colourful. The accompanying CD-ROM is a bit of a hassle to install and run, and seems rather antiquated in this Internet age. It provides the correct pronunciation for each word of French vocab in the workbook, when the word is clicked on. In contrast to the book, the CD-ROM is exceedingly dull in its presentation. Overall, this is a good practice book for primary-school French learners. At a mere 30 pages, it doesn't last very long, though.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20