Profile for Tim > Reviews

Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 6 Watt LED Dimmable Luster, Warm White
Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 6 Watt LED Dimmable Luster, Warm White

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a twinkle effect, 21 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having previously been disappointed in LED bulbs that were always bluer than I liked, I'm very pleased to find that this bulb gives off a lovely, warm, yellow light. The multiple LEDs and the clever reflector structure give the impression of multiple, dispersed light sources within the bulb, leading to a sparkly effect, a little bit like the old clear-glass filament bulbs.

While the sparkle effect will work very well in some settings (e.g. a chandelier, or a porch light), I personally prefer bulbs with frosted glass in more everyday fittings, for a slightly softer look.

This is a very energy efficient bulb, yet it turns on instantly, unlike compact fluorescents. I haven't tried dimming it, as I suspect it needs a low-power, leading-edge dimmer switch, rather than the higher-rated, trailing-edge dimmers we have at present (unhelpfully, Philips don't appear to provide this information). I'll also have to withhold my verdict on the claimed 20,000 year lifetime, but I'm very impressed so far.

Verbatim 52602 LED Candle E14 4.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb
Verbatim 52602 LED Candle E14 4.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, warm light, 21 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having previously been disappointed with LED bulbs that were bluer than I liked, I was very pleased to find that this bulb gives off a lovely, warm, yellow light. I could tell next to no difference in a direct comparison with a traditional filament bulb. The metal base of this bulb does still get fairly warm, but it's clearly much more energy efficient than a filament bulb, yet turns on instantly, unlike compact fluorescents. The shape and size of the bulb are very similar to traditional candle bulbs. Obviously I'll have to withhold my verdict on the claimed 20,000 year lifetime, but I'm very impressed so far.

AmazonBasics Wall Charger with USB Outlet (2.1 Amp Output)-UK
AmazonBasics Wall Charger with USB Outlet (2.1 Amp Output)-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and safe, 19 Nov 2014
For some reason, the photo had led me to expect this charger to be bigger than it is. I'm pleased that it is, in fact, very compact. I also like the upwards-facing USB socket, which prevents the USB cable from falling out under gravity.

It works very effectively. Being a branded product, I'm confident that it isn't going to burn my house down (unlike many of the cheaper unbranded chargers out there, which are potentially extremely dangerous).

Numatic Henry, Hetty, James, Charles, George, Harry, Edward, and all other vacuum cleaners with 32mm fittings. Vacuum Cleaner Combination Floor tool. Part number 601139
Offered by Aid Cleaning Store

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect replacement, 19 Nov 2014
My old Henry head was no longer staying in brush mode reliably (a moderate knock, and the bristles would retract). I'm very pleased with this replacement, which I bought from Aid Cleaning Store. Some reviewers seem to have received a head that differs from the original, but this wasn't the case for me: it is exactly the same as the original, at least to the untrained eye, and the mode-change switch works perfectly. Initially the bristles were rather stiffer than my old one, but they have softened up after a few weeks of use.

Carte Noire No.6 Lungo Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 56 g (Pack of 4)
Carte Noire No.6 Lungo Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 56 g (Pack of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good value alternative, but bulky packaging, 19 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having tried a few non-Nestle capsules, these Carte Noire ones are definitely the best. Unlike other non-genuine capsules, they work fine in the machine at my office, and the coffee is perfectly drinkable. You can pay half as much again for a genuine Nestle capsule, while, while perhaps tasting slightly smoother, does not provide a 50 percent improvement in quality. So these Carte Noise capsules offer great value. I prefer these no.6 capsules to the stronger no.9's. They claim to be intended for longer drinks, but they also work perfectly well for short espressos.

What I don't like is the amount of space these Carte Noire capsules occupy, and the amount of rubbish they generate. I presume that Carte Noire has to seal each capsule in its own bag because they haven't managed to find a way to make one that is air-tight without infringing Nestle's patents. This is a pity.

Loft Double Corner Basket - Polished Chrome LK377
Loft Double Corner Basket - Polished Chrome LK377
Offered by German-Sanitary-AGB-Widerrufsbelehrung

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent rust-proof basket, 11 Nov 2014
This is a lovely quality double shower basket. I didn't want to drill holes in my tiles to install a basket that was going to start to rust in a couple of years' time. This is made of solid brass, with a lacquered chrome finish, and so won't ever rust. The wires are sufficiently close together that bottles stand up without any wobble. Because it has screw fixings on only one face, it doesn't matter if your walls are not at exactly 90 degrees to each other, which is a problem with many other similar products. Overall, I'm very pleased with this basket.

Mira Everclear Showerhead Chrome
Mira Everclear Showerhead Chrome
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent, 6 Nov 2014
This review is from: Mira Everclear Showerhead Chrome
After suffering with cheaper shower heads, whose jets fur up with limescale and spray in annoying directions, or which start leaking around the joints, I am delighted to have finally found a shower head that is built to last, even in hard water areas. It's not the cheapest, but it is money well spent. I've now bought two, and they are both working perfectly. Highly recommended!

SanDisk SDSSDHII-240G-G25 240GB 2.5 inch Ultra II SATA III Internal Solid State Drive
Offered by ILGS - I Love Going Shopping

5.0 out of 5 stars Produces a revitalised laptop, 2 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It took some effort to replace the magnetic hard drive in my Sony Vaio T with this solid-state drive, but it has been well worth it. Even though the laptop already had a small SSD cache built in (running Condusiv Expresscache software), hard drive access always seemed to be holding the system back. And indeed, with this new SSD in place, the system flies. Boot up is down to just a few short seconds and everything is running more smoothly. You also lose the background rattling sound of a conventional hard drive.

This isn't a fault of the SanDisk drive at all, but cloning my existing drive (using Macrium Reflect) was a bit of an ordeal. It seemed to go fine, but the system would not boot. I eventually got it working by reinstalling Windows from a restore partition. but this necessitated reinstalling all my software and backed-up data. So if you're thinking of cloning an existing magnetic hard drive, be warned that it may not go entirely smoothly. But the end result was worth it, with a new lease of life for my laptop.

Corre - Black - Medium
Corre - Black - Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy yet lightweight, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: Mitre Corre Holdall (Sports)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This bag strikes a good compromise between sturdiness and weight; the fabric is thin enough that it packs away pretty small when not in use, and is light weight, but still feels strong enough to cope with pressure from boot studs or similar items. The black styling is very understated and discreet. I'm not that keen on the slightly glossy finish, but this is a pretty minor detail. The bag comes with a shoulder strap, in addition to the regular handles. There is a zip pocket on each end face, and a single main compartment.

August MB100R Portable Stereo Speakers - MP3 Player with 3.5mm Audio In / Card Reader / LED Torch - Red
Offered by Daffodil UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful - Do not buy!, 30 Oct 2014
I wish I had paid more heed to the negative reviews of other purchasers. I naively assumed I would be OK, but no - the battery on my mp3 player refuses to hold any charge whatsoever. The mp3 player works (of sorts) when it's connected to a power source, but it does not respond at all as soon as it is unplugged; not even the torch works. It's as if it has no battery in it at all. It's going straight back to Amazon.

Moreover, when powered by a USB socket, the sound quality is pretty appalling, with massive distortion as the speakers hit the stops when the volume is turned more than halfway up. The plastic switches are horrible. The charging lead is flimsy and can easily be plugged into the headphone socket by mistake. I have another, very similar player from Toys'R'Us which works much better than this.

Now I'm left with a spare micro SD card that I don't need. Grrr...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20