Profile for Patti P. > Reviews

It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography
It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography
by Duff McKagan

5.0 out of 5 stars A very inspiring read!, 31 Dec. 2011
I have read a number of 'Rock' autobiographies over the years and expected this to be just another rock 'n roll story. But how wrong I was. This is genuinely a very inspiring read and I was left really amazed of how someone can turn their life around in such a dramatic way. It is also quite emotional to read as its such a 'real' story- with a lot of the rock autobiographies, they can often just whinge and seem almost ungrateful about the fame and wealth which can be off-putting - this book however mentions things that we all can relate to such as parents, money worries, raising children, realising that we should have tried harder at school, death of a loved pet etc. It was this kind of 'every-man' quality that really endeared me to Duff and made it such a good read.
It is also one of the few books I have read where it almost is a music- history book- you really get a feel of what life was like in the late 1970's Seattle Punk Scene, life in 1980's LA and the 1990's Grunge scene, in a way that I have never gotten from a autobiography before which also added another interesting layer to it.

Overall, I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who just wants to read a realistically inspiring book as well as anyone who loves the 'Rock' autobiography genre as they definitely won't be disappointed!

BRITA Wottle Reusable Water Bottle
BRITA Wottle Reusable Water Bottle

5.0 out of 5 stars Orla Kiely Wottle Bottle, 1 May 2009
This product is a very good idea: it saves having to constantly waste money on buying bottled water and helps the environmental waste go down considerably. The fact that the bottle is so attractive, makes it even more appealing. I would recommend washing it twice before use as the plastic taste is still evident after the first wash. I would also recommend checking everytime you refill the bottle, that it is watertight: it sounds obvious but because of the wrist strap,it can leak!
Highly recommended.

Fire Songs
Fire Songs
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy 'Southern Manner's' first, 22 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Fire Songs (Audio CD)
There seems to be a little confusion with over reviewers over this record being the debut record, when in fact it is their second full-album release. The first record, 'Southern Manners', is a beautiful record and despite owning it for 2 years, it never really engaged me on a level that other records do? Yet after quite some time, it became apparent that it was amazing and I'd been stupid to leave it on the shelf! Yet with this record, I am really struggling to enjoy it on the level that I loved 'Southern Manners'? Other than the lovely version of 'Just Like Heaven', there have been no stand out tracks for me so far and personally I think it best to perhaps buy 'Southern Manners' and let that grow on you, then try to let this record gain some appeal, as personally I feel its not a strong record. It is undoubtedly beautiful vocally, but especially as most people are coming to the Watson Twins from 'Rabbit Fur Coat', it lacks the substance and the catchiness that you would expect, so the record becomes disappointing. It is probably worth leaving all notions of 'Rabbit Fur Coat' at the door and interpreting these records on their own and maybe forcing yourself to listen to it to enjoy it which could be what I need to do, to engage with it like the other positive reviewers of the record. Maybe I will be back in a few months to write a 5 star review!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2010 7:57 PM BST