Profile for D. May > Reviews

Content by D. May

D. May (Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom)

Monty Python's Total Rubbish
Monty Python's Total Rubbish
Offered by A2Z Entertains

1.0 out of 5 stars There's a reason it's called "total rubbish", 21 May 2016
The disc for Life of Brian wouldn't play in any CD player I tried, including my car. I tried to get a replacement from Amazon but all they would do was give me a refund. Can I be bothered to buy it again? No.

Minecraft Light-Up Redstone Ore
Minecraft Light-Up Redstone Ore
Offered by grandtoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Get your dimensions right Amazon!, 21 Nov. 2014
Amazon list the dimensions incorrectly while the manufacturers description is correct. It is 3" x 3" x 3", that's 7.5cm x 7.5cm x 7.5cm and not 9cm x 10cm x 9cm. Amazon really ought to correct that because it is misleading. Product itself is okay, nothing earth shattering - it's a night light that looks like a red stone block, what more do you expect? Don't attempt to hit it with a pickaxe because it won't give you red stone dust - you'll just break it.

Samsung S27B971DS 27 inch PLS WQHD LED Monitor (300cd/m2, 2560x1440, 5ms, DP, HDMI, DVI, USB Hub, MHL)

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung remove the glass panel, price remains stupidly expensive, 12 July 2013
Firstly lets get Amazon's pathetic product description out of the way first. The Samsung S27B971D is the S27B970D without the reflective glass panel, opting for a matte black anti-glare finish. In every other respect it is the same monitor. I would suggest reading the product description for the S27B970D for more in-depth details - though it does neglect to mention some of the key things that everyone should look out for in a monitor:

Pixel response: 5ms
Input Lag: Class II - approx 28ms (tftcentral.co.uk review)
Back Light: LED
USB Hub: 2x 2.0 (two on the side of the base)
LCD type: PLS (Plane-to-Line Switching)
Adjustment: Height and vertical tilt

Contrary to the box contents this monitor comes with a mini-HDMI to standard HDMI cable and not a normal HDMI cable.

Connections are situated on the back of the base for aesthetic reasons mainly but also keeps things tidy round the back. Those connections consist of:

1x HDMI
1x Display Port
1x USB PC IN
1x 14v AC/DC power socket
1x DVI-D

So this Samsung monitor is hardly well endowed with options but for a standard connection to a graphics card with a DVI port this does the job.

OSD functions and the power button are situated on the front in the middle of the faux aluminum plastic base. The buttons are capacitance touch switches, meaning they work in much the same way a smart phone or iPad functions.

The 5ms pixel response isn't exactly earth shattering, this is a PLS panel after all and not a TN one. PLS is Samsung's own proprietary version of IPS (In-Plane Switching) it offers some improvement over IPS but not much. Colours are vibrant after some tweaking in the OSD but that sluggish pixel response is not great for high-end gaming. Don't get me wrong it's perfectly acceptable for gaming and the input lag, while pretty high, is much lower than some other similar PLS and IPS panels.

Adjustments are limited to height and vertical tilt, no rotation or horizontal swivel with this panel. Back light bleed is good, there's some slight glowing in the four corners but no edge bleed which is the main thing.

This monitor will look gorgeous on any desk, the back of the panel is the same black brushed aluminum effect plastic as the front bezel and the stand is chrome and black while the round silver plastic base has a matte aluminum effect to it. The underside of the base is black and recedes underneath making the whole thing look like it's floating an inch off the desk. It's certainly a talking point.

For everything else this monitor is the dogs proverbials, only the crazy price lets it down. For gaming however there are probably better panels out there but not as good looking as this one. If you want a 2560 x 1440 monitor that looks great you can't go wrong with the Samsung S27B971D, if you have the cash; just make sure you don't order the 970D by mistake - unless you really want that reflective glass panel.

I score it four stars for arriving without a UK power lead. I was told by Amazon that this was a one-off mistake but I would suggest you be wary when you receive it and check the box contents thoroughly before unpacking the monitor. For the record Amazon refunded me £10 off the price to order a 3 pin UK plug adapter.

A word of warning for PC gamers. If you intend to run triple-A games make sure you have a high-end graphics card. Running games at 2560 x 1440 over the standard 1920 x 1080/1200 puts a lot of strain on your GPU. For console gamers you'll be better off with a 1920 x 1080 monitor. While the Samsung S27B971D adequately down-scales it does loose some clarity so is not recommended for consoles.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 9:40 PM BST

Sunblitz
Sunblitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome slice of instrumental pop, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Sunblitz (MP3 Download)
About 23 years ago I heard this track used in a Smith & Jones sketch. I had a recording of it on cassette tape and for over two decades I wanted that piece of music. Then Youtube came along so I uploaded the recording in attempt to track it down. That was two years ago and this week someone finally put me out of my misery. When I actually heard it in full, in stereo without all the other noise on the cassette recording for the first time I actually cried...then immediately bought the track from Amazon and have now listened to it on a loop ever since. That is why I've given it 5 stars.

Natural History Museum - Flipping Rat
Natural History Museum - Flipping Rat

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money or time, 5 Dec. 2010
I bought mine brand new from another online retailer as I couldn't find it on Amazon. From a first charge from fresh Alkaline batteries the rat doesn't move unless the antenna on the controller is an inch away from the rat...at all times, otherwise it stops dead. Kind of defeats the whole "radio control" bit really. Sending back for a refund as it must be faulty. Also tried NiMh batteries, same thing.

Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (PC DVD)
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (PC DVD)
Offered by Excess Gaming

1.0 out of 5 stars crash, restart, crash, restart, crash...., 22 Aug. 2010
Don't buy. Simple. Lots of bugs that cause the game to crash to the desktop. In two places in Year 2 the game exits to the desktop and this crash bug is repeatable. My sound and music disappeared once, the "true wizard" stud indicator disappeared once also, loading times are extraordinarily long...the game is broken and seriously needs patching. I've had the game over 30 days so I can't send it back to Amazon but have uninstalled it will sell it to gullible idiot. I only got as far as mid way through year 2 and can't finish it because the crash bugs occur in the main story.
My system more than meets the requirements - 3.2Ghz Intel i7 965 extreme, 6Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4870X2 graphics card.

200 STRONG DJ ALUMINIUM CD DVD STORAGE BOX CASE
200 STRONG DJ ALUMINIUM CD DVD STORAGE BOX CASE

2.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate for DVD storage, 1 Aug. 2010
These cases would be fine if you could actually fit discs in the plastic sleeves.

The sleeves are double sided, one side is fine but the other barely allows you to push a disc in, let alone remove it again. All the sleeves require pulling off plastic trims before you can use them, all 200 of them. Not only that but there were also quite a lot of flashing in some of the corners which required pulling off. Some sleeves split while removing the trims and some split when I put discs in them. The index cards a woefully inadequate for even the briefest of words, giving you as little as an inch across to write titles in.

The boxes, while sturdy and well built, are just slightly too narrow in depth so you can forget flicking through your CD/DVD collection, they're so tightly packed-in that a full side doesn't quite fit in the case, sticking up as they do at the back.

I bought two of these to file away the majority of my ever growing DVD collection. As storage for DVD's, which naturally require you to browse through your titles and take them out occasionally, they are totally inadequate. I already owned two similar cases by a different manufacturer which I used to store magazine cover discs. As they are better and I don't need to go through them regularly, I've swapped the cases around so my DVD collection are in the older, better cases.

As permanent storage that you are hardly ever going to rifle through, I guess they're ideal - providing you don't mind spending an hour trimming the sleeves. But for anything else, don't even bother.

Also, I should point out the actual cases don't quite match the photo's on Amazon.

My recommendation? Simple - don't buy.

The NeverEnding Story [DVD] [1984] [1985]
The NeverEnding Story [DVD] [1984] [1985]
Dvd ~ Noah Hathaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb film, shame about the DVD, 7 Aug. 2008
You should know that this release is a straight copy of the American region 1 disc.

The sound mix is Dolby 2.0 only, it is the American cut of the film (shorter than the German original) and there are very little in the way of extras. There is a German version that has both cuts of the film available (although it is now out of print so getting hold of one might prove difficult) unfortunately it has no English audio for the original cut and the sound mix is 2.0 only. There is also a Holland release of the American version but with a DTS soundtrack.

Considering next year will be the 25th anniversay of the film I find it incredible that Warner decided to release this travesty of a DVD now.

Five stars for the film, One star for the DVD. Shame on you Warner!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2009 7:59 PM BST

Sony HVL IRM - IR video light - black - plastic
Sony HVL IRM - IR video light - black - plastic

1.0 out of 5 stars Battery compatibility, 4 July 2006
I'm giving the Sony IR light 1 star simply for the fact that the manufacturers description on this page mentions the light can be used with 2 AA batteries or L type Sony batteries. This is not true. I bought 2 L type Sony batteries for use in the IR light because 2 standard AA batteries only last 1 hour of continuous Infrared Light. L type Sony batteries DO NOT FIT! No matter how hard I tried to fit them they are physically impossible to fit. Now I have to send the batteries back in the destroyed blister packs and hope I'll get a refund.

Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS

1.0 out of 5 stars Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS, 21 Dec. 2004
I had my Audigy 2 ZS for only a few days before sending it back because the IEEE 1394 'Firewire' port disabled my Internet and email access (I could connect to my ISP but could not open/view ANY webpages or send/receive email). Despite help from Creative and various on-line forums the problem remained and there didn't seem to be anyway for me to use the Internet while this card was in my PC. The IEEE 1394 is installed automatically when XP boots up, you can delete/remove the IEEE 1394 Bus and Net Adapter from Device Manager but this does not fix the problem and if you restart the PC the Firewire port is installed again.
Though this must be a very rare problem (considering I could only find two other mentions of it on the Internet) I would take caution when purchasing this card and just be prepared to have to send it back. To be able to send this review I had to remove the Audigy 2 ZS and perform a System Restore.