Profile for Blue eyed Anna > Reviews

Content by Blue eyed Anna

Blue eyed Anna (Leicester Uk)

How I Was Razed
How I Was Razed

5.0 out of 5 stars An abosrbing read of one man's journey, warts and all, 27 July 2013
This review is from: How I Was Razed (Kindle Edition)
This book is the description of one man's spiritual journey over many years. It's a look at his trying to fnd a spiritual home and being drawn into a small regliious cult, being mesmerised by the teachings and finally breaking free. It also talks about his battle with his failing eyesight, his family, his friends and, most importantly, himself. Bruce doesn't try and hide anything. It's warts and all, when he's talking about himself, and others.

I should add that you don't beed to be in any way religious to see the human story amongst this and also understand the trials the author went through.

If you want to see someone's personal journey, struggles, and redemption told through the eyes of hard earned wisdom, then I recommend this book.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best iphone so far ..., 24 April 2013
I have owned almost every iphone (except the original 2G). The others I purchased on the day of release but I held out on the 5 for a while, eventually caving in when I tried one. Unusually for me I bought the white one as the anodised black is supposedly more scratch happy. I do like the design of the white one compared to the black, IMHO it looks better on the 5.

This is definitely the best iphone to date. Some of it is very subtle.

Firstly it is very very fast. All my favourite apps (stock Apple ones, iDesign, SkyView, Redshift, iMovie, iTap, Keynote, etc) feel sooooooo responsive.

In fact due to the higher horsepower under the hood, everything is faster than before including syncing.

Secondly the screen is as good as the reviewers claim thanks to improvements such as reducing layers thanks to incell technology.

Thirdly it is unbelievably light, even with a case on (unless its Otterbox LOL).

The camera is a slight improvement over the 4S (better low light shooting), the flash seems brighter and almost as bright as the one on my Samsung S3, and the panoramic mode is really easy to use.

If you have a 4S the argument to upgrade is diminished but certainly if you have a 4 or a 3GS then it's pretty much a certainty that this phone will be a big leap.

Compared to other phones which I have owned, borrowed, or used (Nokia's, Samsungs, Blackberry - Windows, Android, Blackberry), I much prefer iOS, also I prefer IPS LCD screens compared to the many AMOLED ones out there - AMOLED is probably a few years from being a 'finished' product.

And finally, for me the iPhone integrates brilliantly with iPad and Mac (iCloud calendar and contact sync, Safari tabs sync, GameCenter, Photostream, etc). Also it works with the rest of my extended family - iMessage, Photostream Sharing, etc, etc. So for me this iPhone is centre of my mobile life.

Lifemax 250.1 Floor Standing High Vision Reading Light
Lifemax 250.1 Floor Standing High Vision Reading Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab but ..., 26 Dec 2012
This is a great device for my Grandmother to read, my only critcism is that it should ideally be dimmable. I kow that only certain flourescent devices (eg Biax) can be dimmed so it would have to be an LED version. Maybe in the future!

Halo 4 Limited Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)
Halo 4 Limited Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by AllGoodDealz

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but forge not as good as on reach, 26 Dec 2012
This is a great new versin of Halo but Forge just isn't as good as Reach. I'm sure it will be improved with a (chargeable!) update.

Official Xbox 360 Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures (Xbox 360)
Official Xbox 360 Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for crowded or small UK rooms, 26 Dec 2012
This device is not suited for many UK living rooms. Certainly more space thean suggested in the sparce Kinect requirements info. Also many of the applications fail to correctly track even if you are in the right zone.

We do not see why you have to rearrange your living space every time we want to use it. To coin a phrase it should just work wherever one has room to stand, sit, or lay (depending on game).

The software is clever but it definitely struggles due to distance issues, and vertical detection, and also if the room is not uniformly illuminated. For example if there is strong lighting near the kinect sensor but lower lighting further back some applications will complain about sunlight! But then the sensor will struggle to calibrate at the further distances due to low light sensitivity problems.

IMHO this is a half finished device which should be outfited with better quality sensors (camera should have adjustable focal lengths for different rooms, or better, multiple cameras at different angles, and much better performance across varied lighting levels) and hence cost more. If it worked properly I would be prepared to easily spend double for such a clever device.

As for us, it is a bitter disappointment and is being returned.

London Concert
London Concert
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A farewell to his TD roots, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: London Concert (Audio CD)
I was fortunate to be at the London Concert gig in 1992 and see Chris Franke effectively say farewell to his Tangerine Dream roots. After all those years in the Dream he ventured forth and carved a career primarily by producing music for films and TV series.

So what of the album? I purchased this CD when it was released (and the accompanying single) and it's only recently I dug it out again after many years of neglect and have now played it quite a few times. It's been interesting to reassess the longevity of this album having heard so much good music since. Interestingly it stands the test of time quite well, at least as well as some of TD's earlier albums and much better than a lot of the traditional electronic scene out there.

The album is a blend of Chris' solo material from that era (i.e. his first solo CD Pacific Coast Highway) and before (Vermillion Sands which first appeared on the KLEM CD) melded with his trademark sequence driven material and it pulls in reinterpretations of classic TD pieces. The beautiful Cloudburst Flight is fantastic.

Chris Franke's solo material is nicely interleaved with the Dream material and there are some great segues as one piece merges into the other.

The final concert track, Mountain Heights, also comes from Pacific Coast Highway and is a reflective and positive piece which blends some nifty lead melodies with sequencers and powerful percussive and effects segments.

However, Dolphin Dance, the first bonus track, whilst nice, doesn't quite work for me (which is a shame because the original TD album this is lifted from, Underwater Sunlight, is a masterpiece). It feels like it has a faster tempo than the original and, whilst some of the more modern sounding patches and deft keyboard work are great, it's sort of lost a little in translation. It's still a nice piece, with some clever Franke touches, but I've been spoilt by the original.

Private Diaries is an upbeat and uplifting piece which typifies some of Chris' material from that era.

Overall, the original concert tracks are grade A TD-Franke pieces and the two bonus tracks are nice to have along for the ride. TD could really do with Chris back though I know that'll never happen. OK if other bands have managed it then just maybe ... in another dimension ...

If you love TD then you probably have this anyway, if not WHY NOT? If you don't have any TD but are curious then give it a try. If enjoy any of it then give the Dream's Underwater Sunlight or Tyger a spin too!

New MacBook Air 13 inch Laptop(Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, NVIDIA GeForce 320M Graphics) - launched October 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I settled on this in the end, 1 Dec 2010
Lets get this straight from the outset, Apple equipment can be expensive (although no more than some of the Sony, HP, and Dell models out there), compared to some of the Windows boxes being given away with a packet of cornflakes these days. However, it's about the same sort of price I paid for Sony notebooks in the 90's. The big difference is that this runs OSX. Having suffered Microsoft's various O/S' since Windows first came out I took the plunge with OSX about a year ago and never intend to go back (OK I have to at work but not at home ...)

Anyhow I finally dumped my Windows laptop but couldn't decide on whether to go for a Pro or the new Air. I liked the idea of some of the feature set of the ipad (instant on, solid state memory), but with a desktop O/S, so after much soul searching and saving every available penny I bought an Air.

When you get it, it's beautifully presented (some expensive hifi manufacturers could learn a thing or two) and when you take it out and feel how light it is you wonder if there's anything inside! There is though as bootup is blisteringly fast and OS X runs even faster than it's normal fast self - many apps load in less than a bounce on the dock. Oh and everything just works. When it first boots it finds all your wifi and other devices and connects (asking for any encryption codes, etc). Job done!

I haven't found anything to really tax this machine yet but I shall try some online games soon so that may make it work a bit.

In conclusion, if you want a fully featured notebook that runs OSX, has very high build quality, is very fast, but weighs about the same as a netbook, and not much more than an iPad, then this is for you!

Kenwood Multi Pro Compact FP220 Food Processor, White
Kenwood Multi Pro Compact FP220 Food Processor, White
Offered by Monster Boty

5.0 out of 5 stars brill piece of kit!, 11 Jan 2008
I wanted a processor that was small enough to leave out so that it would get plenty of use but big enough that doing soup wouldnt be a complete nightmare!
This fits the bill. I use it just about every day to chop veg up... the up side is i use more veg in cooking, whihch has to be a good thing.! It also doesnt take up much space in the kitchen!
Its also made a few lovely soups as well.
Easy to take apart/ put together and use as well.
Definately recommended!!
The booklet only has a few recipes but is designed to tell you more whats possible with it. A little downside!