Profile for Ben Basing > Reviews

Content by Ben Basing

Ben Basing (Roughly London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 10 in E minor, Op.93
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 10 in E minor, Op.93
Price: 9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there!, 22 Nov 2008
I turned on (BBC) Radio three last weekend and heard this recording. I recognised not only the piece (which is often an achievement for me!) but the performance at the Prom on 28 August 1986. Twenty two years on I clearly remember the reason for the wild applause just caught on the end of the CD. Why the recording has been sitting in the vaults so long I cannot imagine- unless there was hesitation about releasing an analogue mastered (ADD) CD into a market full of digital Shostakovich symphonies. Yes, OK, you can hear the hiss sometimes, and there is unobtrusive evidence of an audience, but I really don't believe an orchestra can play like this in the sterility of a studio. If you want the Karajan recording there is one in the Oxfam shop!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2010 1:39 PM BST

Works
Works

4.0 out of 5 stars Start here, 12 May 2008
This review is from: Works (Audio CD)
When Division Bell came out at least one reviewer commented how hard it was to review the album without seeing it as another Pink Floyd album, to judge it in it's own right rather than as an attempt to recreate Darkside of the Moon or 'be different'

If you had never heard Pink Floyd before this isn't such a daft place to start- One of These Days is quite an opener, and pretty representative of mid period Floyd- without the length some people find hard to take, one from Syd, Fearless was my favourite Floyd song thirty years ago, because it doesn't sound like someone cut it out of a concept album.

Several Species .... would only get on a greatest hits album for the title, but at least it has a sense of humour and if you know your Pierre Henry.

To answer the youngster's question about Quadraphonic sound. In quad hi fi the home listener had two speakers in the front, roughly where yours probably are now, and two at the back forming a square with the listener in the middle. (Pink Floyd performed using the far better one in front, one behind with left and right beside the audience - but I digress). Listen to 'Us and Them', the vocals Up, up, up up and down, down, down, down (in the end it's only round and round and round and round) originally rotated round the room (if you had a quad hi fi) If you listen in stereo the voice goes "up, up" on the left "up up' on the right and so on, because going round in a circle there are two left then two right speakers. Once quad was well and truly dead, and CDs had been out for years, someone undid all that clever maths to stop the quad having "a hole in the middle' and made it sound sensible over to channels, alternating left and right. Atom Heart Mother, Darkside and Wish You Were Here are all quad masters, if you listen for it you can tell!

Vignettes
Vignettes
Price: 15.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Marilyn's best for a while, 12 May 2008
This review is from: Vignettes (Audio CD)
It is very difficult trying to communicate with you, not knowing who you are and not having any technical knowledge of music to describe what I hear. This is definitely a five star recording, free solo piano- to try to offer a meaningful comparison if you have no idea what to expect, think of Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert the first time you heard it. Now I'm guessing that was a few years back and the disc is a bit familiar now. Crispell will sound new, and will probably sound 'new' for a while longer, there is something deeper, more complex here though I'm lost to name it and I found it more easy to recognise, if not to understand, than Amaryliss or Storyteller (MC's recent CDs) - and my less Free-Jazz-Tolerant partner certainly did. If there were justice in the way we get to hear music this would sell as well as Koln concert did.

Which One's Pink?: An Analysis of the Concept Albums of Roger Waters and "Pink Floyd": An Analysis of Concept Albums of Roger Waters and ... ... Albums of Roger Waters and "Pink Floyd"
by Phil Rose

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit over the top, 22 April 2008
I bought this hoping for something like Ian McDonalds book explaining Beatles tracks (Revolution in the Head). In fact the analysis was so overdone I could hardly take it seriously, and I admit I've read very little of the book so far. When discussing "Time" Rose suggests that use of the word "waiting" might be taken as a reference to "Waiting for Godot" ... Well I have to concede it might, but given the title of the song is use of the word "waiting" worth analysing in any depth? The whole moon vs sun analogy seemed rather contrived to me- though there might be some clinching evidence in the rest of the book. Roger Waters is credited with devising the concept album, and this argument is reasonably backed up, but aren't the music press and many listeners rather rude about concept albums nowadays?

BEGINNING LIVES LD (Life & Death)
BEGINNING LIVES LD (Life & Death)
by Rosalind Hursthouse
Price: 28.10

5.0 out of 5 stars What does life changing mean?, 16 Mar 2008
As someone with no philosophy at all I read this book when it first came out, I then did the Open University course for which it was written. Twenty years later I have three degrees and run a pub philosophy group (Google me!). OK there is more to philosophy than one book, and maybe I missed a vocation or something, but there is certainly more to this than a dry text book, and something more than a friendly discussion.

It might also help a more thoughtful person involved in a relationship about to deal with an unexpected pregnancy, though expecting an instant answer would not be wise.

Milestones/My Funny Valetine/Someday My Prince Will Come
Milestones/My Funny Valetine/Someday My Prince Will Come
Price: 11.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Utter bargain, 12 Mar 2008
This might not be the most radical Miles Davis selection, but the price was just too good to miss. If you have a vague idea what to expect - not the electric stuff or anything I'd go for it, there's John Coltrane as well. Sometimes the naive approach works.

Stockhausen - Stimmung
Stockhausen - Stimmung
Price: 14.38

4.0 out of 5 stars ... as promised, 24 Feb 2008
This review is from: Stockhausen - Stimmung (Audio CD)
I reviewed the Singcircle version of Stimmung mentioning that this was due out. I like this one, which may be all I need say, though the sound quality makes the performance sound more like human voices than my memories of the Collegium Aureum recording from nineteen seventy whatever. It's not weird synthesizer, new age stuff, just human voices, beautiful and not even boring!

The Snake Decides
The Snake Decides

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sounding solo saxophone, 28 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Snake Decides (Audio CD)
I bought my first Evan Parker saxophone solo disc, helpfully called Saxophone Solos after hearing (a bit of) it on the radio and wondering how it could go on for an hour. Other people in the room, indeed the house, do tend to complain at the penetrating soprano-ness of it all. Though Evan really can hold my concentration if I am distracted I can see their point. This disc has a less intrusive sound for the uninitiated- indeed the sleevenote by EP stresses the importance of Michael Gerzon's part as recording engineer. You might think this is only for the hi fi bores, but the playing really does come over as a real performance, extended techniques and loads of things only a saxophonist would really understand, but he can communicate to mere mortals if you let him. Don't try it as background music, it really is worth the effort for the whole disc.

Touchin' On Trane
Touchin' On Trane

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I don't even recognise Coltrane, 28 Dec 2007
This review is from: Touchin' On Trane (Audio CD)
First, I have no hesitation in recommending this record. I am trying to decide whether in a blind test I would immediately realise this wasn't John Coltrane, his work does change a bit over the years and I am only a little bit familiar with a little bit of it. I came to the disc from a Jazz on (Radio) Three programme, now I'm looking for some of his piano work .... and a website in case he ever comes to play in England

Qualcast Easi-Trak 320 32cm Electric Rotary Lawn Mower
Qualcast Easi-Trak 320 32cm Electric Rotary Lawn Mower

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought the lemon, 29 Oct 2007
My mower burnt out after a couple of months, I contacted Amazon who put me in touch with Bosch and I got a new mower with no issue at all. So the mower is good, but not always perfect (I mean, for sixty quid!) but the service is also up to scratch.

And when I got the new mower and pushed it into the grass after nearly a month of wet summer without a cut- it worked fine
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2010 6:37 PM GMT