Profile for Henry Spencer > Reviews

Content by Henry Spencer

Henry Spencer "Lynch me." (In the world between dreams and heaven)

Illusions of Reality
Illusions of Reality

5.0 out of 5 stars Best debut Goa Trance album in ages!, 25 Oct. 2013
I really recommend this album to fans of Goa Trance, both of the old school and new school styles. There's a lot to like here and the album consists of well varied Goa Trance tunes, each track sounding as good as the last. I was looking forward to this release, since The Journey off the compilation, "The Call of Goa" was a really solid piece of music from this new artist. I really look forward to whatever this newcomer produces/composes next since this album was incredibly good. Highly recommended and at £6.99, a bargain and well worth supporting this new artist.

Metal Gear Solid: Book 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid: Book 2: Sons of Liberty
by Raymond Benson

1.0 out of 5 stars Drivel..., 5 May 2010
The last review read like a promotion. This book is terrible. Now, don't get me wrong, nothing against Mr. Benson, but his work here is definitely nothing to be proud of. Even the description of the book had me chuckling. Those of us who are familiar with his previous book for the original "Metal Gear Solid", are well aware of what sort of grammar, dialogue and prose awaited us. How foolish of me, you may say, to be fooled twice into buying this book. Hah! I thankfully only rented this one from the library. Anyone who is a fan of Metal Gear will tell you there is something fatally wrong with the original novel, which Benson was writing with Kojima's supervision. The writing just does not flow, at all. It's all over the place; Benson practically re-writes most of the characters to say or do things that they either never did in the original game, or is so completely out of character, that just beggars belief! New scenarios are created that are either pointless, or simply annoying and bog down the story even further into complete convolution. These problems resurface once more in this novelisation, I am sad to say.

Unfortunately, the dialogue, just as in the original game's novel, is once again, unintentionally hilarious. It essentially reads like bad fan-fiction. The structure, the planning, and various other processes that Mr. Benson should have gone through when preparing to write this novel, obviously never happened. Why else would so many plot points be created by him, only for them to be forgotten about later on into the novel? You can sort of tell he rushed to get this project "done", just so he could pick up the pay cheque and be done with it. He even paints Raiden as "David Bowie with a shoulder-caressing mane of hair" or something similar. It's just horrific. I wanted to like this novel, I wanted him to have corrected the mistakes made from the previous entry, alas, I didn't exactly go in with high expectations, either. One can only hope if and when Mr. Benson writes his "fan-fiction" for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

The entirety of my review can be summed up like this, if you are reading this, you are a fan, right? Well, simply put, from one fan to another; stay away from this "novel". You'll be well off, trust me.

Side-note: Why is the title of the book, according to Amazon "Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty Bk2, when only one book based upon Sons of Liberty was made, it isn't a two parter or anything, is it? It should actually read; "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Official Novelisation by Raymond Benson" or something like that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2011 6:59 PM BST

Red
Red
by Warren Ellis

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Certainly Good But Nothing New..., 17 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Red (Paperback)
Let me explain, I am a big fan of Warren Ellis. I have many of his works, and his work does vary, some are outstanding and reinforce my liking of his writing, others are not up to the standard I expect, and others are cliché ridden and just fun. Red definitely fits into that category. It's nothing new, nor is it anything particularly mediocre. It's an enjoyable fun ride, and it's made out to be. Ellis takes the typicality of an action comic book and infuses his own style into the proceedings. Sure you've seen it before, but it's Warren Ellis we're talking about here, and he does retain his own style in this work.

This review is just a precaution to those of you expecting something miraculous from this work. You've seen the storyline before, but with some really well placed action scenes, it makes for a rather cinematic work, which was obviously the point in the first place. And it achieves that quite well! The artwork is well drawn, especially of the main character, who is thankfully, not drawn out in the conventional way. The characters are quite well defined, my favourite being the head of the FBI, always putting himself above the President's, who is unfortunately, not the brightest cherry in the bowl when it comes to decision making.

As usual, Ellis takes no prisoners with the ending and not everything is resolved (which may or may not satisfy you, depending). So on one level it is classic Ellis, but it's also an easy work for Ellis, something he could do in his sleep. If you want his best comics, I'd advise you to look at his earlier work.

So grab the popcorn for a fun ride, just don't go in expecting anything profound, especially from Ellis, who is capable of far, far more.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2011 1:08 PM BST

The Terminator [DVD]
The Terminator [DVD]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Offered by orbitingbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Just As the Box States, 25 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Terminator [DVD] (DVD)
I'm making this review as a way of differentiating the various DVD releases and informing people this "Ultimate Edition" is the must have. This review is not of the movie, since we all know this film is ground-breaking. This review is purely for fellow fans, like myself, struggling to find the best DVD edition to own. This really is the definitive DVD edition of The Terminator. As a massive fan of the first two movies, I own all of the DVD releases. This is easily the best release of the first film on DVD ever. Here is why:

#It has collectively, the same amount of extras as those found on the previous release, although, there are a couple of new clips added in one of the documentaries, as well as a whole new documentary for this release. There's also deleted scenes, interviews, photo galleries the list goes on. Those of you looking for the extras, you will not be disappointed, I sure as hell was not.

#In terms of picture quality, sound quality and everything else in between, this is the best of the lot. I'd advise you watch the film with headphones on a HD TV for the full impact!

#There is a lengthy booklet that goes deep into what the film has achieved, a few snippets of comments from those who worked on the film.

#The packaging is excellent, and definitely the best looking of the various editions.

I hope this helps anybody who were trying to figure out which was the best release. Lucky you, you've found it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2012 5:46 PM GMT