Profile for jayne56700 > Reviews

jayne56700

Room
Room

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: Room (Kindle Edition)
Cannot recommend enough. Not at all what I would normaly choose to read but was urged to do so by a friend. I have to admit, after the first chapter I was wondering what the fuss was all about; then before I knew it I was hooked and simply could'nt put down. There has been a lot of critisicm about the 5 year old child narration. However I found this gave a far greater insight into the story simply because it strips away your adult perceptions and already pre confirmed opinions of the 'real' world....I was in the middle of a near hyperventilating state (!!) when to came to plan B...

The Oak Leaves
The Oak Leaves

3.0 out of 5 stars prepare to be bible bashed, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Oak Leaves (Kindle Edition)
Relatively interesting storyline but ruined by the constant reference to God. Actually scrolled through 4 pages of how faith and devotion to the Lord can guide you through the darkest times. I certainly have no aversion to a persons faith and how it can give courage in the face of adversity but I dont want it rammed down my throat through the guise of a novel. The storyline kept me reading to the end (just about) but couldnt wait to finish it.
Would I recommend??...probably not

It's Your Time You're Wasting: A Teacher's Tales of Classroom Hell (Frank Chalk Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars NON TEACHERS should read this, 7 Jun 2011
As a secondary teacher at an all boys school in inner city Liverpool I can say with conviction that I recognised all the scenarios played out in this book.Did I enjoy it?...In many ways yes as it serves as confirmation that the current standards of discipline across schools today is consistently appalling. Along with the pitiful fact that many unfortunate children are growing up with the cast of Jeremy Kyle candidates. However; I found that it made me extremely depressed and focused almost entirely upon negative experiences, giving the impression that teaching today is a totally un-unfilling job and likely to drive you to the funny farm. Though the experiences Mr Chalk describes are the norm of everyday classroom behaviour in many schools, the repetition quickly became boring.
If you have little experience of a day in the life of a secondary school I urge you to read it.....it will make you realise why teachers need those holidays that we get slated for. If you are one of those that faces the Dwaynes and Shazneys of the world I suggest only reading when you have had a good day; otherwise it may tip you over the edge.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2012 4:47 PM BST

Love, Sex and Tesco's Finest Cava
Love, Sex and Tesco's Finest Cava

5.0 out of 5 stars cracker of a book 'innit', 15 May 2011
This was far from the usual genre of book that I would normally consider reading but decided to give it a whirl..and sooooo glad I did. It happily and rightfully sits alongside some of my other all time faves such as The Book Thief & The Colour Purple because it was able to elicit in me a strong emotional response. In this case laughing out loud and been totally unable to stop myself even though I was on the train. (the poorly suppressed laugh came out as more of a snort and left me rather embarrassed but finding myself telling everyone who looked what the book was and urging to go out and read!!)
The one liners that run throughout the book are funny but it is the observational humour that I found to be most amusing, coupled with the fact that I began to wonder if I had been under surveillance and said flies had been sitting on my wall! The (intentional) way that I was unable to remember the name of the youngest pogo bouncing muppet...Duracell bunnies and Rob's little blue frinds had me laughing an at the end crying.. All I can say is give this book a chance because whatever your poison this is sure to raise a smile...I