Profile for Sammy > Reviews

Content by Sammy

Sammy "Sam" (United Kingdom)

Davidson's Principles and Practice of Medicine: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 21e (Principles & Practice of Medicine (Davidson's))
by Nicki R. Colledge BSc FRCP(Ed)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding: one of the best medical textbooks on the market, 25 May 2010
At the outset, let me say that I own both 'Kumar and Clarke' and Davidson's (20th and the latest, 21st editions). However, in my opinion, there really is no comparison. By far, Davidson's is the easiest book to learn from and importantly, understand topics that are otherwise difficult. Davidson's is one of the best purchases that I have ever made as part of my medical studies.

I am so delighted that I have finally found a book (Davidson's) that is comprehensive enough to quench my thirst for knowledge, but at the same time, clear and relevant, with easy-to-understand language. In my opinion, it beats other books currently available on the market.

Davidson's actually makes learning medicine an enjoyable task and is crammed with gems of information. I cannot recommend it enough.

Happy reading!

Crash Course:  Anatomy (Crash Course-UK)
Crash Course: Anatomy (Crash Course-UK)
by Michael I. Dykes BSc(Hons)Anatomy and Cell Biology MBChB(Hons)

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for REVISION, 20 Oct. 2007
Come rain or shine, you are expected to know a lot about anatomy as a future doctor. This is often regarded as the hardest subject by medical students, especially for those who haven't been exposed to anatomy before (at school or college). Well, there is no need to stress anymore, because the Crash Course Anatomy is just what you need to explain complex topics in an easy-to-understand way.

However, I would like to make one very important distinction. This book cannot be used by itself for certain aspects of anatomy. It is vital that you use your lecture notes, teaching and designated reading material to consolidate and understand the anatomical relations. Furthermore, I would recommend a clinical anatomy book such as Moore, for important snip-its about clinical relations. Finally, the book does not cover neuroanatomy, which is an extremely important topic to understand priniciples of neurological disease.

Review of Medical Physiology (Lange Basic Science)
Review of Medical Physiology (Lange Basic Science)
by William F. Ganong

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 20 Oct. 2007
As a medical student constantly on the look out for books worthy of reading and using as a revision tool, I have to say, that few books come close to Ganong's book. Throughout an excellent, clear and concise style has been used- obviously characteristics that make it very user-friendly.

I suppose the only problem for me is that being British, I have to get used to some of the American terms and identify what they are called in UK medical schools (e.g. norepinephrine and noradrenaline). However, these things are only very superficial, and do not devalue the book in any way.

I thoroughly recommend this book.

Rainforest: A Photographic Journey
Rainforest: A Photographic Journey
by Thomas Marent

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 18 Aug. 2007
I originally bought this book because I assumed it was a factual book about the rainforest and its inhabitants. However, I was mistaken- but I'm glad that I was, because I wouldn't have acquired it otherwise. This book is completely stunning. The photography is amazing as are the numerous anecdotes inside, mapping the photographer's journey into the rainforest, and his encounters therein. There is also sparse information here and there.

This book is not a factual book where you get to memorise facts about the rainforest, but it is a fantastic compilation of photographs and anecdotes, which you probably won't see in many other books.

I recommend this!