Profile for JRayne > Reviews

Sick Bastards: A Novel of Extreme Horror, Sex and Gore
Sick Bastards: A Novel of Extreme Horror, Sex and Gore
Price: 2.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read., 29 July 2014
This was a cracking read that I raced through in one sitting. I've heard great things about Matt's work and this was the first book of his I've picked up. This was a great place to start and I will certainly be picking up more.
Sick Bastards lived up to the name. There was incest, gore and cannibalism early on in the story. I loved the way the story began, giving you a very limited view of what was going on, and the way the main character began to question his surroundings gradually revealed more of the situation. This kept the pages flying by as I was desperate (and I'm sure you will be too) to find out what was going on.
I don't want to give anything away as there are some major twists in this story, but the twists themselves were utter genius. The revelation at the end was jaw-dropping and made an outstanding story even better.
Absolutely five stars.
I know Matt is already working on a sequel to this and I am waiting impatiently for this!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2014 11:30 AM BST

The Housemates: A Novel of Extreme Terror
The Housemates: A Novel of Extreme Terror
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very hard to put down, 2 Jan 2014
I've heard a lot about Iain Rob Wright's books and this was the one that most caught my eye so I was very pleased to discover that it met my expectations.
Think Saw meets Big Brother with plenty of gore and an extremely compulsive narrative. I'm sure you'll find yourself saying, 'Just one more chapter', just like I did.
The housemates were the usual mix of fame hungry wannabes you see on every season of Big Brother, but there was more to them than first met the eye. It's hard to say more without spoiling anything, but the realisation of what was going on made the story even more addictive.
The main character, Damien, was well-written as were the action sequences. There were some genuine shocks and real cringing moments at some of the blood-spattered challenges.
I'm looking forward to reading more of this talented author's work.

Screamscapes (Unabridged)
Screamscapes (Unabridged)
Offered by Audible Ltd
Price: 13.55

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid collection of horror and weird tales, 2 Jan 2014
This was a cool collection with some great stories in.
Crawlspace and Mole People were my favourites, both creepy as hell and very hard to put down.
The Package showed off Evans's talents as a comedy writer, with a laugh out loud tale of a well-known celebrity and an ill-advised body modification.
Whatever Possessed You, Dark Curtains and Black Door were also cracking reads, leaving you unsure as where they're going to end up.
All in all a great collection that I would recommend to others.

Toes Up
Toes Up
by Adam Light
Price: 6.71

4.0 out of 5 stars A big thumbs up for Toes Up, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Toes Up (Paperback)
I had read a few of the stories in this collection, and was excited to read a new story of Adam's: 'Serving the Spirits' as well as giving the others a re-read.
There's something addictive about Adam's work, the surreal, Outer Limits style of 'Gone' and 'Way Out of Here' make for intriguing and creepy reads while the more immediate and gruesome 'Continuance Agency' and 'Serving the Spirits' give the collection a nice change of pace.

I'd rate them as follows:
'Taken' - A strange tale with a nice twist at the end. 4/5
'Gone' - A haunting tale that I found very subtle and moving. Some nice clues as to the outcome, but by the time it clicks, you've already missed a number of them. 5/5
'Vengeance by the Foot' - Short but sweet. And strange. Very strange! 4/5
'Continuance Agency' - An apocalyptic short story that is part of a bigger story. Very moreish, but a little cruel with its cliffhanger ending. 4/5
'Way out of Here' - This was my favourite until I read 'Gone' and 'Serving the Spirits'. A surreal and fascinating short story involving parellel worlds. 4/5
'Serving the Spirits' - An awesome new novella. Reminded me of 'The Shining' in feel and theme, only with a sinister ram deity thrown in for good measure. Couldn't read this one quick enough. 5/5

In summary, this is an excellent and varied collection of Adam's early stories. I'd recommend it to horror fans and fans of Outer Limits style strangeness.

Don't Need No Water
Don't Need No Water

5.0 out of 5 stars An intense and brutal thrill ride, 19 Nov 2013
This was an intense and brutal ride that I couldn't read quick enough. There were some nice grisly parts - the amateur dentistry springs immediately to mind! - and the revelation near the end was absolutely jaw-dropping. This is Evans's best work so far, and that is really saying something as he already has some cracking works to his name. I can't wait to read what he delivers next.

Doctor Sleep: Shining Book 2
Doctor Sleep: Shining Book 2
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately not as good as I had hoped, 16 Nov 2013
2.5/5
This was a big disappointment for me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE The Shining. This had such potential, but I feel it wasn't given the proper time and effort it deserved. The Shining is a horror icon (and rightly so, I read that again before starting this, and WOW! that is a true masterpiece and a career highpoint) and deserved a barnstorming follow up. I felt Dan was very underused, and felt like we didn't really learn all that much about him.
The beginning was strong, and I loved the return of Mrs Massey and Horace Derwent and the much-loved Dick Halloran. The middle sections I found dragged a lot and the end - although it did keep me reading - I found disappointing and a little too easy.
My main issue with it was the True Knot. They weren't intimidating enough to be proper King bad guys, Randall Flagg, Pennywise, Jack Torrance and Norman from Rose Madder would have eaten them alive. I found them a little lame to be brutally honest and I can't help but come away from the book feeling as though it should have been left well alone.

Gone
Gone

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa! Freaky stuff!, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Gone (Kindle Edition)
This story grabbed me from the start and I simply had to finish it in one sitting. The story unfolded nicely with some really bizarre events. I started to figure out what was happening near the end, but by this point had already overlooked a number of subtle clues Mr Light had left along the way. The end was impressive and there was a real 'Ah, of course', moment when the pieces all clicked into place.
A very subtle and moving story that I will read again and again.
**Spoiler alert**
The part with the envelope I found particularly poignant.

Holiday of the Dead
Holiday of the Dead
by John Russo
Price: 18.82

5.0 out of 5 stars A zombie anthology that oozes quality!, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Holiday of the Dead (Paperback)
This anthology was crammed with zombie tales that were all great reads.
My personal favourite was 'A Side of Cranberry Sauce', as it was absolutely impossible to put down.
Other stories deserving a special mention were: 'Seahouses Slaughterhouse' -Where Sinema anti-hero Han Whitman takes on the undead. Only going to be one winner there...
'Cherry' - A dark tale where the bad guys get what's coming to them.
'Undead side of the moon' - Putting zombies in outer space was genius and this story had a truly chilling final line.
'The zombie whisperer' - The funniest story in this collection that actually made me laugh out loud.
'Storm coming down' - A dark voodoo tale which had me on the edge of my seat.
Highly recommended!

The Continuance Agency
The Continuance Agency

4.0 out of 5 stars when is part two out?, 20 Aug 2013
This was a great story which started with a bang and kept me reading until the end. There were some cool descriptions and the black cloud was an intriguing and frightening villain. The cliffhanger at the end was cruel though... I wanted more!

Compulsion
Compulsion
by Shaun Hutson

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Impossible to put down!, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Compulsion (Paperback)
Compulsion was insanely addictive. I read it in twenty four hours as I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough. I'm a huge fan of Hutson's and this may be the best one I have read so far. When Hutson is on form there is no one more addictive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3