Profile for Dominic I. Fellows > Reviews

Content by Dominic I. Fellows

Dominic I. Fellows

Panasonic SD-2501 WXC Automatic Breadmaker with Nut & Raisin Dispenser & Gluten Free Program, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 10 Sep 2012
As our children are allergic to food additives we needed to get a breadmaker that made good quality bread and could be used at least once a day.

I can't fault this product and anything that will get fussy 1 and 2 year olds to eat brown bread is a winner on my part!

It's fab!

Hell In A Handbasket
Hell In A Handbasket
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars To Personal for Some?, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Hell In A Handbasket (Audio CD)
Meat Loaf describes this as 'the most personal album I've ever made' and I really believe that.

Why? Well the reviews have tended to lean either towards 'It's dreadful I hate it' to 'It's wonderful, I love it' I am glad to say I am i the latter catergory. There's no denying it, the album is unashamedly miserable and so if like me you've been through tough times recently, you'll probably find it suits your mood perfectly and you will quite merrily blast it out on your drive to work morning after morning. On the other hand, if you are generally of a sunny disposition, you will most likely find this far too grim and lacking in the theatricality that Meat is so famous for.

Anyhow, this treview is here to showcase my personal opinions and I found it to be sublime from start to finish on a first listen (a rarity in any album). 'All of Me' and 'Party of One' are the real standouts, although Meat doesn't write the material, he performs it in such a way that you really feel you are getting an insight into the man, whether this is true or not is irrelevent, it's that fact that you buy into that's important. These are also the only two tracks that come close to being more 'traditional' Loaf.

A major bone of contention among reviewers is 'that rap'. To put this in a broader context, I hate rap. But I didn't hate this. As the song it is attached to is called 'Mad Mad World' I felt it was strangely right to have it completely subverted by something totally incongruous and out of place. Or 'mad' if you will. I could go into further detail about the beauty I found in 'Another Day' or the sheer joy I take from belting out 'Live or Die' at the top of my lungs and pretending I can sing, but the bottom line is, it suited my mood so I loved it and trying desperate not to sound corny (and failing miserasbly) genuinely grateful to Mr Loaf for having made it.

Lamaze Soft Shape Sorter
Lamaze Soft Shape Sorter
Offered by bafotec

1.0 out of 5 stars The world's most useless toy, 25 Sep 2010
My son loves Lamaze stuff but he seems to be outgrowing some of the toys so I got him the shape sorter My thinking was as it's Lamaze it will be good quality and he is at the right age to like playing with a shape sorter. Only to find when you play with it, all the shapes fit in all the holes!

So you can put a round one in a square hole and a trianglar one in a rectangular hole What's the point?!?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2013 10:14 AM BST

LeapFrog Shapes with Ella!
LeapFrog Shapes with Ella!

3.0 out of 5 stars I hate this dam elephant!, 22 July 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog Shapes with Ella! (Toy)
My son loves it, I hate it!

The song is sooooooooooo annoying...

I am an elephant waving my trunk,
I am an elephant flapping my ears
My ears and nose,
My mouth and eyes,
Are on my head,
That's no surprise,
I'm your elephant.

You WILL sing it all day everyday and I don't think it actually teaches him anything. That being said he does like playing with it.

My Lives [4CD + DVD]
My Lives [4CD + DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Quantity and Quality!, 1 May 2006
This review is from: My Lives [4CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Just when you think you've heard it all, a collection of this magnitude sees the light of day. Weather you like the music or not, you can't disagree that the the shear volume of material is worth the price of admission. I was initially sceptical, feeling that there is usually a reason why certain songs are unreleased and that this set would only appeal to fans and it would be a limited appeal at that. Fortunately I was completely wrong. There are some absolute crackers here, some of them better than released ones (imagine how much better Storm Front would have been with Money or Love and House of Blue Light in place of State of Grace and When in Rome). The first disc is the real gem of the collection, The early stuff by the Lost Souls, The Hassles and Attila is by no means the greatest music you'll ever here, but hearing the overly bass-ey and static ridden recordings really transports you back to the sixties and, with the gift of hindsight, you can really see that Joel was always destined for great things. Disc one is also the most 'demo heavy' of the five and so represents the rarest material which adds to its appeal. The remaining three CDs, while not quite as interesting as disc one, are equally matched in terms of quality. The only minor gripe I have is that the DVD supplied is not one of Joels best shows and that a compilation of lives performances might have better suited this collection. This is just my opinion, however, and a mere quibble of one at that. If you're not a fan of Joel and so don't wish to part with your twenty odd quid, I strongly recommend that you track down a friend who is and borrow this collection! A fellow reviewer has said 'If you have ears that work buy it!' and their absolutely right, This is a musical treat from start to finish that everyone should enjoy, even if you don't like the whole collection, I guarantee, with the songs spanning three decades you will find at least one track that you will love! The following comment goes without saying 'If you're a Billy Joel fan and you haven't bought it, why on earth not? get thee to a music store, NOW!

Capote [DVD]
Capote [DVD]
Dvd ~ Philip Seymour Hoffman
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Who cares?, 26 April 2006
This review is from: Capote [DVD] (DVD)
I was inspired to watch this movie when I saw Phillip Seymour Hoffman scooped the best actor award. Unfortunately for me, that's ALL the movie had going for it. I have to wonder who thought the subject matter would make a good film, the audience is subjected to around two hours of Hoffman being a shit (granted, that's the intention but that doesn't make it any more bearable to watch) and not an awful lot happens. It could be argued that it is a character piece and therefore not a lot is supposed to happen, however character pieces only really work when a character has at least one likeable quality. Coupled with this is that the overall movie itself is so mind-numbingly dull, Do we really care about a writer's gestation period? Maybe in a documentary, but it makes lousy drama. By the time the whole thing was over, I just felt irritated, cheated and need of a good sleep. In fact, my wife fell asleep ten minutes in, woke up twenty minutes before the end and still knew what was going on. All in all Hoffman deserved his oscar, the film deserves a turkey!