Profile for Mr. Liam Wharnsby > Reviews

Content by Mr. Liam Wharnsby

Mr. Liam Wharnsby (Romford, Essex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Fountain [DVD] [2006]
The Fountain [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect 3rd film for Darren Aronofsky, 6 Feb. 2008
This review is from: The Fountain [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This is one of my favourite films ever. Darren Aronofsky is a genius, I loved his last 2 films; Pi and Requiem For A Dream. The Fountain is a little different. If you try to describe it to somebody else they will think it's a soppy love story with a sci-fi edge. However it is a hard hitting beautiful looking masterpiece that makes you feel for the character of Tommy (Hugh Jackman). Hugh Jackman is an actor that I've never really liked, mainly because I'm not really into mainstream movies. However in this film he is amazing, you believe and care for his character in all 3 time zones. I fail to believe that Brad Pitt or Russell Crowe (Both were at times due to be leading men in this film) could have done any better.

The film looks beautiful the entire way through and the story line is simple to watch but complex enough to make you think. Unfortunately this is one of those films that you will either love or hate. People who like to see films like American Pie and Scary Movie are unlikely to understand or enjoy this film. However, if you like films that challenge you and make you do more than just laugh then you'll love this film. Ignore the reviews and just watch it for yourself.

The natural reaction to this film is to think "Oh no, Darren Aronofsky has made a mainstream love story." In fact he has made the perfect film to follow on from his previous 2 efforts.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2009 1:49 PM GMT

Halo 3: Limited Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)
Halo 3: Limited Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars You know what to expect., 15 Jan. 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
When I was a student me and my mates used to play Halo 1 & 2 on multi-player all the time. However I never really liked the campaign mode. I always thought it looked cartoonish and the enemies annoyed the hell out of me. They still do...especially those little pointy hat dudes. This one is darker and more fun.

Anyways, I'm not a Halo geek and therefore don't really know or care about the story, also I couldn't care less what the names of each character are. I played this game with my mate on co-op first time round and we completed it after a couple of days...not constant play but a few hours at a time.

I'm now pretty much done completing it on my own, I will say I agree with other reviewers when they say it's a short game. I pretty much never complete my games before I'm bored of them, however I'm on my second go round with this one.

Multi player is same as ever and still rules more than the campaign. I've never used xbox live as I prefer to have real friends...plus I have a job and a girlfriend. I'm sure it's fun if you're 15 and spend your time eating crisps and have posters of wrestling on your walls.

Worst bit is that you still sometimes end up going backwards in the game as there isn't always an arrow or some kind of obvious marker to tell you which direction to go in. Also the story scenes inbetween the action are terrible. At the end of the day Halo is just a game where you run around and shoot everything...there is no need for all the other junk.

Worth waiting til price drops and also don't bother with special edition as it just has a tin case (which is pointless) and a geeky book in it. I didn't by this for myself so I didn't waste any money, it was a present.

Everything Perfect On The Wron
Everything Perfect On The Wron

4.0 out of 5 stars Techno Death Metal/ Nintendocore, 15 Jan. 2008
This is a very very good album. 4 stars but would be 5 except the middle slows down too much for me and not very long. I have listened to this album so many times and never get sick of it.

It sounds like a cross between Nintendo, Enter Shikari, As I Lay Dying, Norma Jean and a Rave.

Best song in my opinion is 'Honest Hitchhikers Asking for Cash Handouts'.

If you like you music heavy and you like a little bit of a techno trance type twist then go for it. Not much real singing on here, lots of shouting. Check out their myspace or purevolume sites and see how good they are for yourself.

Lead Sails Paper Anchor [Digipak]
Lead Sails Paper Anchor [Digipak]
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Becoming the bull, 1 Oct. 2007
Since Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses I've never been that happy with the albums that Atreyu have released. For me that album is the best album they have and ever will release. When I saw them live, it was the songs on that album that made the crowd cheer and sing along. A Death-Grip on Yesterday is probably the second best of their albums. With this in 3rd place and the Curse most definately at the bottom. Of course I am excluding the 2 EP's but well they weren't produced to the standards of the albums and they were very early releases.

It seems that with each release Atreyu change direction and therefore gain new fans and loose old fans. It's difficult to say you like Atreyu without someone saying oh my god they're rubbish, but they only know of the Curse, or perhaps one song.People think they are goth, metalcore, or that they are a christian band, or that they are hardcore, or that they are emo depending on what album they've heard.

Well I'd say that this album fits into Heavy Metal, or perhaps Hard Rock. There seems to be a lack of screaming which I personally like about Atreyu. Also there are quite a number of very cheesy bits in this album which make me cringe.

My personal best bit of this album is Becoming The Bull which I think is a great song.

Listen to this album before you by it, It's a good album and by no means are Atreyu a bad band. I still like them, but just a bit less than when I first heard them. It's as if you have to treat them like a new band with each release. Don't base anything on previous albums because they never sound the same.

Death Proof (Two-Disc Edition) [DVD]
Death Proof (Two-Disc Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kurt Russell
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, or money!, 26 Sept. 2007
I went to see this movie at the cinema as I thought there is no way Quentin Tarantino could have made a bad film. You kind of go in to the cinema with an expectation. The trailer and the films blurb also makes the film sound pretty damn good.

Well it's all wrong! If you are happy to watch a group of girls walk, drive, drink and smoke for about 40 minutes before they are killed in a 2 minute death scene, then watch another group do pretty much the same thing then this movie is for you.

Myself and my girlfriend basically sat in the cinema saying please let them die in a minute, whilst also wondering if we might be in the wrong movie.

There is also a lot of annoying rough edits and breaks in the film where it goes black and white, also some scratches on the film so it looks old. I realise that this is all suppose to add to the effect of a 70's film but Quentin Tarantino forgot to actually make a film inbetween all of this stylistic crap. If the film was good then this may have been a good idea, however it actually has the oposite effect and makes the film look worse than it is.

Kurt Russel is pretty good as Stuntman Mike, and the acting overall isn't too bad. The last 10 minutes of this film are pretty good, but without the last 10 minutes this would have got a 0 star rating.

I realise of course that about 6 million Quentin Tarantino fans will disagree with what I have written here and will think that this film is the best thing since Pulp Fiction. But I am a fan of Tarantino and 70's movies, but this is just rubbish.

Save your money, you'd be better off watching a teen horror, or an actual 70's slasher flick.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2010 12:23 PM GMT

Death Proof (2pc) (Ws Exed Amar) [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Death Proof (2pc) (Ws Exed Amar) [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa

1.0 out of 5 stars Style over Substance, 24 Sept. 2007

Gutter Phenomenon
Gutter Phenomenon

3.0 out of 5 stars No! bad ETID!, 4 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Gutter Phenomenon (Audio CD)
Looking back at this album I'm sure the band will come clean and say "yes it was a bad idea releasing an album on roadrunner and bringing in guest vocals."

This album has lost all that was great about ETID, way to over produced and way to boring for a band that are known for their mental off the wall music.

Even though the new album The Big Dirty is different from older ETID it is far better than this.

ETID releases go in this order:

1. Hot Damn!
2. The Big Dirty
3. Last Night in Town
4. Burial Plot Bidding War
5. Gutter Phenomenon

FACT!

What makes this album even worse is that roadrunner are one of those labels that screw over the real fans and release special editions 3 months later when real fans already bought the normal edition when it first came out. It's no wonder people download music these days.

Get back to releasing albums on Ferret and don't use guest vocals, and also make sure the producer understands what is good about the band.

The Big Dirty: +DVD
The Big Dirty: +DVD
Offered by roundMediaUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and Dirty, 4 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The Big Dirty: +DVD (Audio CD)
After Gutter Phenomenon I was a little unhappy and thought that maybe ETID had lost it a bit. There was something I didn't quite like about it. I'm not saying it was a bad album but it just wasn't classic ETID. It was a bit of a shift after Hot Damn!, and it was not really a shift that was needed. I loved the mental crazy disjointed and off the wall sound of Hot Damn! and Last Night in Town, which seemed to have given way to rockabilly, and guest vocals from people who just don't fit with the ETID way.

However The Big Dirty has made up for the slight dip in quality. This album still has that Dirt Rock sound, however it seems to have captured some of the old ETID again. Keith's vocals and lyrics are brilliant and funny as usual.

I was listening to this album in my car yesterday and couldn't help but open my windows and turn the volume up and head bang whilst driving. There is so much power in the guitars and the vocals and so many catchy little riffs and choruses its brilliant. This album will actually move you, and I don't mean in a crying to Titanic kind of way when Leo dies! I mean you'll jump around like an idiot and hurt yourself.

You gotta buy it for that reason. Although I'd advise you to look into buying it from Ferret's website as you can get a free T-shirt and you get the bonus DVD edition. I'm wearing my free t-shirt now!!!

Back on form.

The Naturals
The Naturals
Offered by nagiry

5.0 out of 5 stars Metalcore excellence, 24 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Naturals (Audio CD)
'Rumour Has It: Astaroth Has Stolen Your Eyes' was the brilliant first album, very heavy, not much harmony but lots of beatdowns. Since then Catherine have changed singer and bassist and the move really has worked for them. This album 'The Naturals' really is a masterclass in what metalcore should be all about. Stand out song for me is 'Fallacy' but pretty much every aspect of this album is great. If you like bands like Drop Dead, Gorgeous, The Devil Wears Prada, I Killed The Prom Queen, Emarosa, Dance Gavin Dance, Blessthefall and Parkway Drive then this is a must for your CD collection. Pretty much any band on Rise Records is worth a listen, they seem to know where music is at these days.

I hate to say things like these are the next big thing, cos with so many bands making similar music these days it's often the gimmick bands that make it big and true talent like Catherine will just make it big in the underground scene.

Buy this album if you are into any of the bands I mentioned, or even if you are just a metalcore/post-hardcore fan. This is one of those bands you'll be happy you knew about them first.

Unbroken
Unbroken
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad album but won't set the world ablaze., 8 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Unbroken (Audio CD)
I've had this album a couple of years now and just happened to be on here looking for some of their older stuff as they've now broken up. The best song on here is Jaded, it's just a great opening track. Time Bomb is also one of my faves. Its been on a few of my home made compilations. If you like Pantera, Throwdown and most Victory Records bands then this is for you. Not the best album in the world but you'll listen to it and you'll probably recomend it to others.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4