Profile for Spirited77 > Reviews

Content by Spirited77

Spirited77 "A Devon Gal" (Plymouth, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Escape Artist [DVD] [2013]
The Escape Artist [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Great, 13 Dec 2013
As previous posters have mentioned, this was a very Luther-esque type of drama. The 3-hour-long parts were the same length combined as a Luther 2-parter. I don't think this was a coincidence. Indeed, the format wasn't the only thing that felt familiar. We have a member of Law Enforcement who is at the top of his game pursuing an innately evil - and I have to say - rather 2 dimensional serial killer.

I am a David Tennant fan, and find him eminently watchable, but even I was drifting by Part 3. But then I chose to binge-watch all 3 episodes in one-evening, when it was probably better to leave the final part until another night - although had I done that I think I would have been disappointed in the somewhat anti-climactic finish.

I also purchased this online rather than buying the discs from Amazon, it saved me £7. So for a fiver (blinkbox) this was an OK watch, but I wouldn't have been thrilled paying any more than that.

Overall, 3 out of 5 stars.

Braun Oral-B TriZone 3000 Three-Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush (Packaging Varies)
Braun Oral-B TriZone 3000 Three-Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush (Packaging Varies)
Offered by Premier Products

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, it vibrates so much my head hurts!, 30 Nov 2013
But in a good way! As promised, my teeth are left feeling 'dentist' clean. The power of the brush is very intense indeed, possibly a little too intense, I feel like my head may explode! But I guess it's worth it for the nice clean feeling in my mouth after I've used it.

My only niggle is the red flashing light while i'm using it - a bit bright first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and somehow signifies 'danger!' to me! Also, it took a whole 24 hours to charge initially, but I understand it should now last a whole week.

I like the adjustable speed/pressure, haven't quite got used to it yet, and i like the reminder to shift quadrants.

All in all, very good value for money - esp as I was able to nab and extra £13 off during a lightning deal. Delivery was free and swift too.

Many thanks, Oral B and Amazon - I will never go back to a manual toothbrush again!

Clearblue Digital Ovulation Test Kit - (Pack of 10)
Clearblue Digital Ovulation Test Kit - (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excllent product for detecting ovulation, 13 Nov 2013
really expensive, but really works and gives unambiguous results unlike the line tests where it's hard to tell if they are the same colour or darker, leading to stress and confusion.

for those who are already stressed about TTC, these are a godsend. they take the guess work away. I will say, take 2 tests a day during your expected fertile window, because I had a negative one morning, then a positive that same afternoon 5 hours later.
Also, saving your pee so it's concentrated helps too.

You Had Me At Hello
You Had Me At Hello
by Mhairi McFarlane

2.0 out of 5 stars Booooooooooring., 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: You Had Me At Hello (Paperback)
God what a snooze fest? Instead of unputdownable, this was unpickable. Really boring, cliched, humourless, predictable, and just DULL. Chic lit at it's worst i'm afraid.

Flexitol Very Dry Skin Cream 80g +50% Extra Free (125g)
Flexitol Very Dry Skin Cream 80g +50% Extra Free (125g)

3.0 out of 5 stars It Works but It Also Pongs..., 13 Nov 2013
really not very pleasant smell! Also, it is not a breathable salve meaning your feet and hands will sweat with it on, and feel rather sticky and grimey. Did it help with my Execema? Yes, but then so did my white Nivea cold cream and e45, without the horrid smell and sweaty foot sensation.

OK product for some I guess, but I won't be re-buying sorry.

IKEA PRUTA Plastic Container / Food Storage Containers 17 Piece Set
IKEA PRUTA Plastic Container / Food Storage Containers 17 Piece Set
Offered by ChanceryChairCover

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap But You Get What You Pay For, 13 Nov 2013
I liked the price, and my partner needed some small containers to keep nuts, bolts, screws, etc. And i needed some large ones to keep pasta, flour, sugar, oats. For that purpoose they are sufficient. However, for the ones I put into my everyday usage pile, I am struggling with the lids. They don't click when you press them down, and they get mis-shapen very easily. Certainly not the same type of quality you get from lock lid tubberwear, but then again these are significantly cheaper. Also i didn't check but I'm pretty sure these contain BPA, so I wouldn't store wet items like canned tomatoes in them if you don't have to, and i'd avoid the microwave and dishwasher too - not just because of bpa, but because they are likely to get mis-shapen and the lids will be even harder to attach securely.

The Age of Miracles
The Age of Miracles
by Karen Thompson Walker

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent High Concept Novel, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Age of Miracles (Paperback)
I am normally skeptical of Richard and Judy Book Club pics, however this one proved to be worth such a high profile recommendation. The writing is flawless, with just the right note of sentimentality. It's a tale of a normal family in small-town America, who are woken from their slumbering, impervious lives to find that the world has changed forever, and they are forced to confront head-on potentially cataclysmic events, while at the same time being forced to evaluate their relationships with each other and themselves, now that sleep-walking through life is no longer an option.

Walker follows the KISS guide to writing - Keep It Simple Stupid. While the book is simple in both it's premise and writing style, the sum of its parts equal so much more and you find yourself being quite moved and even questioning what you would do in the same situation. It's also got just enough suspense and pace to keep you up at night reading past bedtime. And the evocative childhood experiences that we all can relate to are very sweet too.

Overall a very good read that isn't too taxing. Fans of 'The Help' will like it I expect as there are some similarities. Highly recommend.

Duzzit Drain Away - 3 x 40g Sachets
Duzzit Drain Away - 3 x 40g Sachets
Offered by Amazing Sales UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great for Bathroom Sink, 12 Sep 2013
Our bathroom sink was blocked with hair and gunk to the point it wasn't draining at all. We tried liquid drain unblocker - it didn't work at all. This stuff had unblocked the stubborn drain in a matter of minutes. I can't recommend enough.

Only word of caution: wear disposable gloves that you throw out immediately after handling this stuff, as the chemicals are very potent, you do not want them coming in contact with your fingers or children. Especially as to a young child they could look like sherbert crystals.

The Fall [DVD]
The Fall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gillian Anderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, Yet Addictive Viewing, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
My partner and I decided to purchase this after reading some of the reviews, and because my partner quite likes Gillian Anderson from her X-Files days! I was fresh off watching 'Broadchurch', which I thought was decent but could have been better, so I didn't have particularly high expectations for 'The Fall'. I'm glad to say I was presently surprised at how well written and produced this series was, and I thought Jamie Dornan's acting was superb - he's clearly far more than just a pretty face! While the subject matter was deeply disturbing, and quite stomach-churningly graphic and suspenseful at times, I found I couldn't stop watching or look away. I guess that's testament again to the writers/director/and producers of The Fall that they can take such a disturbing story-line and make it utterly compelling, even for the more squeamish among us! I definitely do not like gore for gore's sake, but in The Fall, it was just enough to make it believable without battering you over the head with it - sorry, bad choice of metaphor perhaps! :) I hope they release Season 2 quickly.

My only pet peeve was Gillian's rather silly faux English accent - why they didn't just make her an American detective, I don't know.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2014 4:22 PM BST

Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD]
Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Hamm

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable watch, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
While nothing will ever replace the glee I felt upon discovering this programme and then binge-watching the first 4 seasons in their entirety, I have to say I was so pleased that Series 6 resumed much of what I liked about the first 4, but that had been lacking in S5.

By now, we know the characters and their foibles inside and out, so we're not surprised by Don's continued drunken-ness, Peggy's desire to be heard and seen as in control, and Roger's inner angst behind his cocksure exterior. Yet we learn more about Don's childhood *Spoiler* being raised in a whore-house and thus his oversexualised childhood - we see him molested by a resident, and this gives us a clue as to why he is as oversexualised as an adult, and why he constantly feels the need to numb himself with booze, cigarettes, extra-marital affairs, and power-playing with his peers. Whereas Roger takes the healthy route of lying on his shrink's sofa and talking through his issues, Don remains the strong silent type, afraid or unable to articulate his emotions, or even to confide in his wife. He doesn't even utter a word for the first 20 minutes of the first episode, leaving us to wonder whether he'll bother to talk at all... In fact, he does, but only when approached at a Honolulu bar by a drunken soldier who he immediately feels a connection to. it's like he's worked so hard to build this life for himself, he has all the trappings of what one would believe would make one happy - powerful job where he actually gets to be creative, beautiful wife, money and children, yet this isn't enough for him to be happy. His childhood deamons are still gnawing at him and continue to do so throughout the series. It's no coincince that *spoiler* he embarks on an affair with an unattainable neighbor, who looks very similar to the whore he lost his virginity to. Yet the deamons wreak even more havoc as he drinks himself to the point of collapse, embarrasses himself and his colleagues in front of a major new prospect, and finds his own daughter walking in on him doing the deed with his neighbor. He cares less about losing Megan, the ever suffering and dutiful wife, and more about his daughter having a bad opinion of him. You can tell he knows he's messed up, but he's scratching his head not knowing how to fix it, and isn't used to his daughter so openly telling him exactly what she thinks of him.

The final scene shows him with his children revisiting the now derilict whorehouse where he spent his formative years. Sally wonders why he's taken her there, and he simply says 'this is where i grew up'. Sally then looks at him as if to say 'ahhhh ok, well that explains a lot then'. They both realise he is flawed, his childhood was certainly flawed, but yet by facing his deamons head on - and by letting his young children see his vulnerabilities - we get the sense he has finally turned a corner and may even be a changed man in the next series... I can't wait to find out.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2014 10:33 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3