Profile for tessa st john > Reviews

Content by tessa st john

tessa st john

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Casting Off: Cazalet Chronicles Book 4 (The Cazalet Chronicle 4)
Casting Off: Cazalet Chronicles Book 4 (The Cazalet Chronicle 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to this family saga!, 15 May 2014
As the fourth volume of the family memoirs, I can hardly launch into a literary review but have to add to my previous critiques of this work of Elizabeth Jane Howard's !
The similarity between my mother's family background and circumstances is uncanny, both socially and geographically so inevitably I an drawing emotional parallels - understanding and forgiving sometimes - and enjoying the read very much!

The One Plus One
The One Plus One

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing story beautifully constructed, 2 May 2014
This review is from: The One Plus One (Kindle Edition)
Jojo Moyes is a lovely writer and all the books I have read from her pen have been enchanting and un-put-down-able!
This quirky little story develops through twists and tragedies, holding your attention and demanding you turn the pages. I could not leave my Kindle! She writes (and spells) good English!!!

Marking Time: Cazalet Chronicles Book 2 (The Cazalet Chronicle 2)
Marking Time: Cazalet Chronicles Book 2 (The Cazalet Chronicle 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars The family saga continues, 2 May 2014
So beautifully written and paced.... This second volume of the Cazalet Chronicles moves on with the stories of the family as war comes and relationships develop. Love it!!

Confusion: Cazalet Chronicles Book 3 (The Cazalet Chronicle 3)
Confusion: Cazalet Chronicles Book 3 (The Cazalet Chronicle 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Continuation of family saga, 2 May 2014
Oh I just love this series! My mothers father lived like the Brig, and filled his house in Sussex with the family during the war, so it is very evocative and actually is helping me to understand why my parents were the people they were.
Highly recommended, beautifully ŵritten and containing forgotten details of domestic products and recipes for nursery food!!

Heartbreak Hotel
Heartbreak Hotel

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and easy to read, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Heartbreak Hotel (Kindle Edition)
I am a huge fan of Deborah Moggach and also the little Welsh town where this is set! The characters spring to life out of the pages and it is a delightful read. Highly recimmended.

Best Vacation EVER!: The Highs and Woes of River Cruising in Provence
Best Vacation EVER!: The Highs and Woes of River Cruising in Provence

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and informative, 9 April 2014
Having read some of Cash Peters' work, I looked forward to this little travel story of his holiday on a river boat in Southern France - and was highly amused!
Some bits were not particularly brilliant but then it was a river cruise with calm places... Touristy sight-seeing in Arles and Lyon, Avignon and other mediaeval towns were interesting, if filched from the guide book!
I certainly know my French geography a bit better!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2014 6:20 PM BST

The Ex-Wives
The Ex-Wives

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Ex-Wives (Kindle Edition)
Well, we've all made mistakes! Here is a very amusing - if complicated - 'family saga' which I found full of evocative description of London towards the end of the 20th Century - pre mobile phones and Internet bondage.
Characters I swear I have met... Situations uncannily familiar... Some 'laugh out loud' bits...
Yes... Recommended!

Twin Beds: Christmas at Heartbreak Hotel
Twin Beds: Christmas at Heartbreak Hotel

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming little story, 24 Mar 2014
This was the first of Deborah Moggach's books I have read for a long time and loved it! It's a delicately handled story which many single people will resonate with...!

To Have And To Hold
To Have And To Hold

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and beautifully written, 24 Mar 2014
Oh Crikey... What an unbelievable mess people can get themselves into with the best intentions in the world!
This bunch of characters .certainly go through the wringer...
I love Deborah Moggach as a writer - she suddenly throws something into the mix that brings in an extra dimension, and makes you wonder where she gets it all from ... Real life? Imagination? Experience? Friends or family?
Not worth asking - just read her books and enjoy the art of a really good story-teller!!

Manuscript Found in Accra
Manuscript Found in Accra

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather heavy going, 24 Mar 2014
So bored I couldn't be bothered to finish it. Sorry Paulo - normally love his work but this was not what I thought it was going to be and didn't like it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6