Profile for book geek > Reviews

Content by book geek

book geek (Nottingham, UK)

The Unpredictable Consequences of Love
The Unpredictable Consequences of Love
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title - it was highly predictable., 16 Jun 2014
I'm not sure I actually read the same book as other reviewers! I found this book poorly written and highly predictable. The characters were self centred and annoying and the situations they found themselves in were pretty artificial - the author seems to have a preoccupation with people getting knocked down by runaway push chairs or dogs every time they step on to the beach! It did get better towards the end, but personally I am a little baffled at the rave reviews this book has got.

The Blue Hourglass (The Timekeeper's Daughter Book 1)
The Blue Hourglass (The Timekeeper's Daughter Book 1)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive and enchanting read, 4 Sep 2013
I can't remember the last time I read a book that had as many different levels to it, all beautifully woven together to create such a compelling and intriguing story. The whole concept of the book - about time being looked after by the Timekeeper and his daughters - is really cleverly implemented throughout the book and I just couldn't put it down, to the extent that if someone paused the TV to get a cup of tea, I would whip out my Kindle to read another page while they were gone! I really recommend this book and I find myself checking amazon daily for any update about the next book in the trilogy, which I can not wait to read!

Perfect Partners (Crimson Romance)
Perfect Partners (Crimson Romance)
Price: 4.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read that really draws you in, 23 Aug 2013
I took this book on holiday with me and it was the perfect choice. It gripped me from the first page and I didn't want to put it down. 'Perfect Partners' is one of those books that effortlessly draws you into its world and makes you believe and care about the characters. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone who just wants to get away from the real world for a few hours.

Empty Cradles (Oranges and Sunshine)
Empty Cradles (Oranges and Sunshine)
by Margaret Humphreys
Price: 6.36

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most amazing books I've ever read, 25 Feb 2012
Margaret Humphreys spoke at my graduation last year, and until that point I'd never really heard anything about child migration. Her talk was very interesting, very motivational, and very interesting. It didn't prepare me in the slightest for the emotional experience that was this book! I was almost crying from the first page.

This book guenuinely unputdownable - I read it in 2 sittings (unfortunately having to sleep between them) - if I had to go to the loo, I'd read it in the loo, if I had to wash up, I'd read it while washing up! But it is also and intriguing and shocking tale of a period of British and Australian history that is often forgotten about, or in my case, never know about. This book made me feel angry and shocked at the misguided nature of the whole scheme... But it also was very moving describing in detail some of the reunions of the so called 'war orphans' with their families 50 odd years after they had been told they were dead.

I would reccommend this book to anyone and everyone! Read it, you won't be disappointed!

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls
Price: 6.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't deserve the hype!, 24 Jun 2011
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
I bought this after temping at Waterstones over Christmas and finding out that this was one of the best selling books of the year. I was sadly disappointed. It was just a little bit boring, and didn't grip me. The "shocking twist" at the end that I had hinted to me, turned out to be highly predictable. All in all, I really can't see what the fuss was about.

Saving Francesca
Saving Francesca
by Melina Marchetta

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read For All Teenage Girls..., 11 Jun 2011
This review is from: Saving Francesca (Paperback)
... To be fair you don't need to be a teenager to read this book, just have a soft spot for a sweet story. When I was a teenager, I was drawn to this book cos it's not just a romance, there is also a story about how a family copes with crisis. Now, this is my go to book if I feel sad or lonely, or if I just want to read an easy book with a great plot. This book always cheers me up, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Lantern Slides: The Diaries & Letters Of Violet Bonham Carter: The Diaries and Letters of Violet Bonham Carter, 1904-14 (Phoenix Giants)
by Violet Bonham Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 11 Aug 2009
I picked this book up in a Charity Shop and was suprised by how good it was. It is very well writted and gives good insight into life and Politics at the turn of the century. I really recommend it!

A Sicilian Romance (Oxford World's Classics)
A Sicilian Romance (Oxford World's Classics)
by Ann Radcliffe
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly Predictable, 17 July 2009
Having read Mysteries of Udolpho, I decided to give this one a go. Although it is not as good as Udolpho and is very predictable, it is an entertaining, quick read and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The Case for Israel (History)
The Case for Israel (History)
by Alan Dershowitz
Price: 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Read, 8 Jun 2009
Although this book raises some very good points in the defense of Israel, there are also a lot of points that are false - for example the claim that the Israeli Army never intentionally attacks Palestinian civilians! My only other critisism of this book is that Dershowitz tends to make a good point and then not elaborate on and go and talk about something else. All this said, I think this is an important book to read for all thoes interested in the Conflict.

Our Sacred Land: Voices of the Palestine-Israeli Conflict
Our Sacred Land: Voices of the Palestine-Israeli Conflict
by Kenize Mourad
Price: 9.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Palestinian-Israeli Conflict, 9 Feb 2009
This is a brilliant, well written insight into the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict and it really makes you think. It isn't very often that you get an account of the conflict that isn't influnced by Israel's PR campaign. I would reccommend it to anyone who wants to understand the human side of the conflict.