Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now
Profile for Mr. R. Morris > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Morris

Mr. R. Morris

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
by Rebecca Skloot

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for biologists, 22 April 2013
A really interesting mix of sociology, race history, cell culture, politics etc. Fascinating. I now want to know more about Geys.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful: The New Science of Evo Devo and the Making of the Animal Kingdom
by Sean B. Carroll

5.0 out of 5 stars Gene switching guide, 22 April 2013
Gene regulation is revealing so much and this is a brilliant book on the subject. A must for any young or as in my case, old, biologist. This field has taken off since I retired and if I was starting my career again this is an area of biology I would consider entering. So if you are 16 and thinking about a career in biology read this book in preference to the Double Helix - which is good, but now a history book. It will impress the hell out of admision tutors and you will see how extrodinary modern biology has become.

Britain's Hoverflies: An Introduction to the Hoverflies of Britain (WILDGuides)
Britain's Hoverflies: An Introduction to the Hoverflies of Britain (WILDGuides)
by Stuart Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars Look ever closer, 22 April 2013
Since retireing as a professional biomedical researcher I have returned to my childhood roots of investigating the wonderful diversity of life. I have been gathering easy to use taxonomic guides and this is excellent of the newer photographic type. I find good drawings compliment photographs so ideally guides would contain both. The life history information is fascinating and I have learnt even more extrodinary aspects of insect diversity - there are some nasty critters out there. The keys are very well illustrated and focus on features that do not require any dissection. I can,t help but feel in the days of face recognition software that there should be some way of using a computer based system for identification. This sort of photographic guide is a good starting point for the development of this type of approach. I am not an expert on this group of insects, but for a budding insect spotter this is a very approachable and well organised book.