Profile for Paul > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Aten CS533 USB to Bluetooth KM Switch Tap
Aten CS533 USB to Bluetooth KM Switch Tap

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely useless, 24 Dec. 2014
I bought this product so that I could use my Corsair K65 USB keyboard and Perixx MX-2000 USB mouse with my newly acquired Linx 7 Windows 8.1 tablet via Bluetooth so that I could charge the tablet whilst not constrained to the touchscreen. I did not want to buy a separate Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth mouse, especially when this product exists.

However, let me list the problems that I've experienced in the past 90 minutes:

1. The keyboard is not recognised AT ALL when plugged into the Tap, neither with USB nor Bluetooth. None of the Alt+F hotkeys worked. A spare keyboard works, but when I can plug the keyboard into the tablet via the OTG cable and it works straight away, I don't see that this is a keyboard issue.
2. The mouse allows for left and right movement only and gradually makes it's way up the screen, but never up or down.
3. Bluetooth pairing with the tablet dropped out and I had to do a factory reset on the Tap to get it recognised by the tablet again.
4. Using a different USB mouse for testing did work, however the amount of lag I was seeing was unacceptable. The delay was such that to click a button you had to gradually move the mouse, overshoot the button and move it back again. I honestly felt like a 100 year old trying to interact with Windows (no offense meant).

I have done a firmware update but this appears to have made no difference.

I have worked in IT support for over 10 years and consider myself very patient when it comes to troubleshooting hardware like this - more often than not persistence pays off. But not in this case. Bear this in mind when considering the product. If you have a keyboard and mouse that works (you won't know before the purchase), and you don't mind big input delays with the mouse, go for it. If you just want to use it with your iPhone and again with a "compatible" USB keyboard then I dare say it would be sufficient for your needs.

I'm requesting a full refund as I have no confidence that a replacement will address all of the problems that I have discovered with the unit.

Black Neoprene Zip Case Cover for upto 7 Inch Tablet Nexus 7 / iPad Mini
Black Neoprene Zip Case Cover for upto 7 Inch Tablet Nexus 7 / iPad Mini
Offered by Inspire retail ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality case for the price, 23 Dec. 2014
Good quality cover for the price. My Linx 7 is a bit loose inside but the inner dimensions of the cover are on the product page and with no official cover made by Linx, this is probably the closest I'd get anyway. The padding is soft but could be a little thicker for a bit more confidence if knocked or dropped.

Excellent order turnaround this close to Christmas - I ordered the evening of 22nd December fully expecting delivery after 29th but it arrived the next day!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, but not for the reason it was made in the first place..., 8 Sept. 2013
I love the fact that I have a computer which is so cheap and performs so well for it's price.

However it was originally made to teach kids how to program and this is where I have slight reservations over it. In theory this is a great idea, but in practice the Linux operating systems do much to make life as difficult as possible. Using the apps from the Raspberry Pi store is fine, but compiling and installing tarball's and all of the dependencies that so often come along for the ride saps any enthusiasm you had before you've written a line of code. I've come to the conclusion that if you or your kids want to learn how to program and you have a PC or laptop already, use that instead.

It is of little wonder then that many users have the XBMC media player installed on it. Despite being a little slow it is surprising what it can cope with and makes an ideal streamer. Hook up a USB hard drive and you've got a versatile all-in-one media PC.

Final note, be sure you know about all of the other accessories you need - the £30 investment will double once you've added USB hub, case and SD card in as well (not to mention HDMI cable, keyboard and mouse if you don't have them). Incidentally if you buy a decent powered hub such as the "Plugable 7 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub" you can power the Pi from it too.

Minecraft Creeper Face Mug
Minecraft Creeper Face Mug
Offered by CheerU Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Creeper Mug (FTW), 8 Sept. 2013
It's a creeper mug isn't it - not much more I can say than that to commend it!

It's big appearance (not height but all other dimensions) makes it stand out in an office and whilst it doesn't hold as much drink as you'd think it's equivalent to a normal mug. The square shape does make a bit trickier to drink out of but you get used to this, and because there's two bits of ceramic and air between you and your piping hot drink you can hold it without burning yourself. On mine, during the firing process a bit of ceramic has dropped off inside the mug (it's hollow) so you can hear it jangling around when you tilt it, but I like to think of it is a genuine creeper sound.

Overall, I've had a lot of great remarks about this mug and I'm really happy with it.

Sennheiser HD 558 High End Open Over-Ear Headphones with E.A.R. Technology
Sennheiser HD 558 High End Open Over-Ear Headphones with E.A.R. Technology

5.0 out of 5 stars Home HiFi Headphones, 8 Sept. 2013
When buying these headphones it's important to bear in mind that you will be using them mostly indoors. They are open-back so they don't block out any (or barely) any noise and those around you will likely hear what you're listening to. You may wonder why you'd buy these headphones compared to closed-back models; let me explain why.

These headphones have such an incredibly wide sound stage that any films, games or music you feed through them sound great. I bought them primarily for games and film, in combination with a 5.1 to stereo decoder made by Astro. I had briefly used in ear headphones with the Astro unit but couldn't really tell much difference over stereo channels, thankfully as soon as I plugged these in I could tell exactly which direction and how far away things were happening - truly a revelation and I have to remind myself how good they are now since I've had them for nearly two years.

I'm now listening to most music at home with these too, when I don't feel like using speakers. You can run the headphones off an iPod too, with the volume in a quiet house never having to exceed 2/3rds. The headphones suit acoustic music excellently and sound decent with bass heavy music like hiphop, just don't expect them to shake your ear drums as much as a closed back pair of phones. Some tracks from Angus & Julia Stone's album "Down the Way" sound so alive that you feel like you are sitting in the recording studio with them. They really are that good.

Philips LivingColors Bloom Colour Changing Mood Light - White (Integrated 1 x 8 Watts LED Bulb, Remote Control)

3.0 out of 5 stars What a difference this light makes, 8 Sept. 2013
I have my LivingColors light sat behind my TV, so it lights up the wall and eases eye strain. It's fair to say that if you have a large room the light might not be strong enough for you to read in, for example, but it is surprising how much it does illuminate if placed in a more open position.

Quite often I have the colour set to white, which gives you a much more natural light compared to traditional bulbs which look very yellow in comparison. Alternatively I can match the colour of my bedside table lamp so I have a great effect of light being in all corners of the room.

The only downside that I can think of is that there isn't a sleep timer on it as it is quite easy to nod off with it and music on.

This product isn't cheap by any means but the difference it has made has paid for itself really.

Review update: the red LED in mine has just failed. It's lasted two and a half years so £50 over that time span isn't really value for money and I've dropped my score from five down to three stars accordingly. Now to try and take it apart...

Gem Compact Easy Access Camera Case for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60, DMC-FZ62, DMC-FZ200, DMC-LZ20
Offered by GEM Bags & Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal 3rd party case, 8 Sept. 2013
Fits my FZ200 perfectly with the lens hood attached backwards, with zero free space for it to shake around in. The pouch is only big enough for a couple of batteries and memory cards though, so not a huge amount of free space but enough for me.

Watch Back Case Cover Opener Removal Remover Repair Tool Boxset Screw Set Kit
Watch Back Case Cover Opener Removal Remover Repair Tool Boxset Screw Set Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Very very cheaply built, but does the job, 8 Sept. 2013
The product arrive after around six weeks in a dog-eared cardboard box. Opening the box revealed the tool and its numerous bits. The quality of the tool itself is very poor; the threads to adjust the "bits" (for want of a better word) are not cut accurately and it jams up. The bits are pushed into their holders and are held in by wire, not by magnets. They are also not held in at fixed angles so you have to be sure to insert them correctly. The tool also was not clean and after fitting the bits my fingers were dirty and stank.

Yet despite all of the negatives, the tool did do the job (after much careful adjusting) so I can't give it less than three stars, given the price. I'll have broken even after the second battery I fit and the tool will have paid for itself.

Watch Band Repair Tool Pin Link Strap Remover Adjuster Opener Removal Kits Tool
Watch Band Repair Tool Pin Link Strap Remover Adjuster Opener Removal Kits Tool
Offered by Universal Color

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate for narrow to medium width straps, 8 Sept. 2013
I bought this as an alternative to using a propelling pencil to remove link pins from watches. The pencil method does work providing you take care and apply pressure in the correct direction, much like this device really. I'm surprised so many people have broken the pins on this and other such products as if you align the link correctly there should be no risk of this.

Despite the picture giving you the impression that it does, the device doesn't adjust for different widths of bracelet - it is fixed at 23mm. The closer you get to filling this also means that seeing where the pin is aligned is increasingly difficult. The knob visible on the picture strangely winds the platform under the pin sideways and does not adjust the girth and as such serves no purpose that I can find.

Ultimately, the tool works providing you're careful and your watch fits. I wouldn't pay more than £3 for it as it is an extremely cheap product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2013 1:20 PM BST

The 1975
The 1975

2.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The 1975 (Audio CD)
Sorry to go against all of the positive reviews of this album, but listening to albums is subjective and I thought I'd share my thoughts on this one. I, like many others I'm sure, bought the album on the strength of the tracks the band have released so far. A good pop album is a worthy addition to any collection in my mind. The problem I have with this album is that there is too much fluff and not enough content.

The first track, "The 1975" is an intro track and doesn't really offer much, though it's surprising that the band has such a featureless title track. The album then breaks into its stride with the decent track "The City", followed by the track "M.O.N.E.Y", which never really goes anywhere. "Chocolate" and "Sex" bring about some hope that things will improve, then "Talk!" chunders along and never seems to end, despite it's brief 2:47 duration. "An Encounter" is more filler, "Heart Out" is an improvement, "Settle Down" brings back a similar riff as "Chocolate" but not quite the hook, "Robbers" lowers the tempo - an okay track but again no hooks, "Girls" is more successful and the band strike a better balance of delivering a message and the catchy hook, "12" is another filler track, "She Way Out" doesn't do much to broaden the band's repertoire but isn't a bad track, "Menswear" is mostly filler track but with some nonsensical lyrics in the middle, "Pressure" is again a floaty but very lacking track interspersed with a choral chorus section, "Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You" is a sparse piano and vocal performance that I'm sure should be emotive but frankly sends me to sleep.

So not a completely bad album - there are highlights, but sadly you've heard them already. It feels like the band didn't quite have enough material to span the ambitious 50 minute duration and it would have been far preferable to have a 30 minute LP. Perhaps pigeon-holing The 1975 as a pop band is wrong of me and they wanted to deliver an album that goes deeper, but the singles they've released are undoubtedly pop, they released them first because they sound great and they should probably stick to what they're good at.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2013 7:03 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3