Profile for Paul > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly accessible, 3 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Los Angeles (MP3 Download)
As I jumped into Flying Lotus' music with Cosmogramma and the Reset EP, I knew that I liked his style of music composition, but he isn't always the most accessible artist to listen to, especially with Cosmogramma. When listening to previews of the tracks on Los Angeles I feared that it was a step to far - each track seemed to be too schizophrenic and the whole album had no particular direction to it.

Fortunately I took the plunge and bought the album, as when listened to in it's entirety they all work very well together. I would actually say that this album works better than Cosmogramma, given that more tracks are allowed to form their own flow before mutating into something else. As such, I'd probably recommend this as a newcomer's first entry point into Flying Lotus. If you like groundbreaking beats you should find a lot to love in this album.

Illumination
Illumination

4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting summer tunes, 3 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Illumination (Audio CD)
I'm pretty glad I could get my hands on this album as when I originally discovered Miami Horror six months ago it was import only and at a pretty hefty price at that. If we ever get summer weather back I'll be playing this in the car. Heck, I'll probably listen to it in the rain, but it would sound much better in the sun!

Samurai Champloo Complete Collection [DVD]
Samurai Champloo Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shinichirô Watanabe
Offered by mvm_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Grittyness + Funnyness = Awesomeness, 4 April 2012
I had heard about this series recently so bought the box set after only watching short clips on youtube. It somehow combines the best action in anime with humor that genuinely had me laughing out loud, all wrapped up in the craziest scenarios that only the Japanese could think of.

Something I'd definitely watch repeatedly and keep getting pleasure from.

Grado Adaptor Cable 6.3mm to 3.5mm (15cm Length)
Grado Adaptor Cable 6.3mm to 3.5mm (15cm Length)
Offered by AudioVisual Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but ideal, 4 April 2012
Not the cheapest adapter cable there is but when looking for a 6.3mm to 3.5mm cable adapter there isn't a whole heap of choice! At least with the price comes quality; the cable is nice and sturdy and the plugs are a good tight fit.

Definitely recommended if you have HiFi headphones with a long fixed adapter - it'll hopefully prevent you from yanking/bending whatever it is plugged into and causing expensive damage.

LaCie P'9230 USB 3.0/ USB 2.0 2TB Porsche Design Desktop Drive
LaCie P'9230 USB 3.0/ USB 2.0 2TB Porsche Design Desktop Drive
Offered by ecargo

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking affordable hard drive, 4 April 2012
Everything about this drive is stylish and it shouldn't be hidden away if you can avoid it. More importantly though, you might not be able to hide it away given that the data cable is pretty short (about a meter) which is quite frustrating.

On the upside it is quiet and fairly quick (I've only used it on USB 2 so far), plus the price is competetive with other 2TB drives.

Ziiiro Unisex Watch Z0005WBBG
Ziiiro Unisex Watch Z0005WBBG
Offered by Francisco Ortuno (original packaging included)

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch with a difference, 4 April 2012
I think you'll know by looking at the pictures whether the watch is to your taste or not and whether the price is reasonable. It is a little expensive but not excessively so as it is quite unique.

It fits my wrist really comfortably, the strap was easy to adjust and time easy to set. In addition, it is really easy to read at a glance once you're used to it (I received it today so it didn't take long for me). Despite not having a backlight and the blue disc contrasting against black at certain times, it is readable in poor light.

If you feel like something different and like the design I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Sennheiser IE 6, Ear-Canal Phones with High-Fidelity Sound and Enhanced Bass Response

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent earphones, 24 May 2011
Reviewing earphones is quite subjective - these were my first ear canal 'phones so I can only say how I've found them over the year or so that I've been using them.

I'm quite fortunate in that I can wear these all day without any discomfort - they flip over the ear so they don't get pulled down by the cable and the tips go deep enough to provide a good insulation without forcing them in. I guess there are earphones with better isolation out there but I tend to find that any muffled sound that I can hear with them in is soon inaudible when the music starts. As is widely reported, the cable brushing against clothing can cause noise in your ears but I clip the cable to my shirt to reduce this. Walking also gives you an audible thud but you can't have it all.

Bass is very deep without being overpowering and the rest of the range is bright. Perhaps the highest end frequencies could be a little sharper, but I'm picking at straws and a more expensive pair might not necessarily be any (or much) better.

Incidentally, if you have an iPod Touch / iPhone I'd recommend buying the EQu app, which gives you more control over how your music sounds than the default equalisers. Sadly, sound quality isn't where the iPod excels but this goes a long way to readdress this.

Going from earbud 'phones to these, I'd have to say that you really want to listen to your complete music collection again as it all sounds so fresh and "how it should be". I think music sounds better through these than my hifi!

The Crimson Wing: Mystery Of The Flamingos
The Crimson Wing: Mystery Of The Flamingos

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinematic for a reason, 24 May 2011
I was already a fan of the Cinematic Orchestra before buying this album. It is obviously a soundtrack and therefore a bit different to their other albums but their signature sound is still very evident in this. I find it's the perfect way to chill out at the end of a busy day and sounds incredible through some decent earphones.

I'd recommend you listen to Ma Fleur, Man with a Movie Camera and Every Day along with this.

Zotac ZBOX-ID41-PLUS-B Z-Box Plus Mini PC D/Core DDR3
Zotac ZBOX-ID41-PLUS-B Z-Box Plus Mini PC D/Core DDR3

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute bargain, 24 May 2011
Whilst a lot of net top PC's are similar spec, this stood out particularly because it had the latest D525 processor and NVidia Ion 2 GPU. I wasn't particularly bothered about the lack of an optical drive which is ideal considering that an eee-box of the same spec would cost over £100 more.

The main purpose for this box was to use it as a music server, running xbmc on Ubuntu and using my iPod to control it remotely. I wasn't experienced at all with Linux but with some persistence it is all running perfectly. Getting audio out over HDMI is possible but a bit of a faff; I did run it like this - but it did involve some hackery. I would suggest that anyone who isn't technically minded goes for the Windows path - all of the drivers are provided on CD (which you'll need a drive to read).

What I wasn't expecting with this PC was its performance, given its price. Whatever I've thrown at it so far it has coped with really well. I can run 1080p video through HDMI without any issues at all. I've also plugged my PlayTV (PS3 TV tuner) in and Ubuntu loaded the drivers straight away, so now I can use it as a PVR! Booting times are also quicker than my laptop (Windows 7).

I did have concerns over build quality and noise / heat whilst I was investigating the product but I am very pleased to report that build quality is great and noise is whisper quiet. GPU temperatures haven't gone over 60 degrees so far under load, which is a relief. I think there may be more issues with AMD based models but don't quote me on that.

Finally, if you want to use this to store films, the 250GB hard disc may not be large enough - go for the bare bones version and buy a 1TB drive and some RAM (2GB is plenty with Ubuntu) instead of this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2012 6:16 PM GMT