Profile for P. J. Burke > Reviews

Content by P. J. Burke

P. J. Burke

Page: 1 | 2
Black Frostfire Moonbag - Heavy duty changing mat and bag, ideal for watersports, swimming and outdoors
Offered by Innovationstore

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit, 12 May 2014
I generally use this to get changed on in muddy car parks before and after obstacle races, so most of my kit is covered in mud. Stand on it, drop the kit on it, pull the strings together and throw it on top of a bin bag to stop the mud on the bottom transferring to the boot. Lasted for 10 races so far and at that price if it does disintegrate next time round, I'll just pick another one up.

Booicore changing towel poncho HEAVY DUTY
Booicore changing towel poncho HEAVY DUTY
Offered by booicore outdoor

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge and WARM, 12 May 2014
I picked one of these up because I was sick and tired of trying to get out of wet muddy kit in the car park after obstacle races. I've used it at Tough Guy/Nuts/Judgement Day/Wolf Run/Dirty Weekend and it is fantastic. Thick enough that even if it's chucking it down it will keep you dry long enough to get changed. Not as amazing as the Dry Robe but you can pick it up about £50-£60 cheaper than that. I really missed it the one race this year I didn't take it along to.

Ultimate Performance Elastic Laces - Black
Ultimate Performance Elastic Laces - Black
Offered by Herbert Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Obstacle Races, 29 Jan 2014
Retying laces on a mud run/obstacle course is a pain, especially when they are coated in mud. Stuck these in my running shoes and they didn't shift, even when the mud was trying to rip the shoe off.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing grip, 29 Jan 2014
Had these for a while now but Tough Guy at the weekend was the first time they've really had a workout. They are fantastic. There's nothing quite like casually walking up a muddy hill that others are hanging on to for dear life. I added some triathlon laces because it's a pain having to retie laces every couple of miles in the mud. They're not the best on tarmac/concrete but they drain fast and bite into mud like you wouldn't believe.

Nokia 1616 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black
Nokia 1616 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Sim Free? Then why is there a T Mobile sim included, 17 Aug 2013
Sim Free? Then why is there a T Mobile sim included? Goods not as described - I'll be returning this. While the phone itself is fine, be aware that some of the sellers are selling phones that don't match the description given on the main page. If I'd wanted a t mobile phone I wouldn't have gone for one described as sim-free.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Did just fine on Tough Mudder, 9 May 2013
I picked a set of these up (not from Amazon) as my brother managed to leave the trail shoes he'd picked up for me back home and there wasn't a lot of choice locally. I have to admit I wasn't a big fan of the lace system and was convinced it wouldn't hold up during tough mudder - it did, even when I could feel the mud trying to rip it off my foot during some of the trench sections. The grip wasn't amazing during some of the really muddy sections but I don't think I saw anyone else's shoes perform better. They took a beating and a half and remained comfortable all the way through. They retained a little more water once dunked than I'm happy about but overall they were great and I plan on using them for all my obstacle races this year. They didn't feel particularly great while running on roads so I'll probably keep them just for obstacle races/courses.

First Steps in LaTeX: A Short Course
First Steps in LaTeX: A Short Course
by George Grätzer

5.0 out of 5 stars There are more comprehensive books out there but I found this ideal, 18 Aug 2012
Picked this up at the start of my MSc and it has managed to see me through (with google for a couple of minor things I wanted to do such as filtration symbol I think) just fine. That is an MSc in Financial engineering so not 100% mathematics but a depressing(?)ly large amount of the stuff to get down. I found the small size more or less ideal as I can run through it very quickly and then finding things when I need a quick refresher never took very long. I've now got a number of other Latex books but I always find myself reaching for this one whenever I need to crank a quick document out.

Introductory Econometrics for Finance
Introductory Econometrics for Finance
by Chris Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good introduction to Econometrics with Financial applications (but just an introduction), 18 Aug 2012
I used this during my MSc in Financial Engineering as supplementary reading for the Financial Econometrics course (it isn't on the reading list). It's (far?) too basic/not rigorous enough for that level but I found myself reading the relevant sections prior to studying the course material as it did a good job of placing things in context and placing them in the closest approximation to english I've seen in any book with "Econometrics" on the front cover. I wasn't a big fan of some of the software sections but that's just an R fan looking down his nose at anything else.R in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))

Netgear WGXB102 54 Mbps Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit
Netgear WGXB102 54 Mbps Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit
Offered by Retail-ABC Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars worked like a charm, 8 Aug 2006
Plug both parts into a power supply, connect the XE102 to the wireless router (but see below) and away you go.

Signal strength is much better than either of the two wireless access points I've previously used.

Note it says you need a wireless access point to use these in the documentation - I misread it and thought you could plug into a normal router and use as a standalone wireless access point. Happily you can do that, but I'm guessing they won't support it if it goes wrong.

The only (very minor) complaint I have is that the 'plugs' are HUGE - if you are planning on plugging them into an extender, expect to lose 1-2 other sockets depending on the layout.

City of Heroes Deluxe (PC)
City of Heroes Deluxe (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic but not to everyone's taste (apparently), 28 Jan 2005
This was my first MMORPG and I absolutely love it. Thought about the Fantasy based ones but none of them ever really caught my eye (despite playing RPGs for over 20 years).
COH is different in that it motivated me to get off my backside and play the thing.
The major drawbacks (and the reason a friend of mine has since left the game) are the differences between this and other MMORPGs - there is no crafting etc. and nothing much to do except beat up on bad guys, meaning it plays more like a FPS/beat em up/RPG combo than a 'full' RPG. But there are strong RPG elements in there.
The only games I've seen that compares (minus multiplay online) is freedom force. And that has destructible scenery, which I really miss.
And in case anyone is wondering how I can review this before the game is released, I have played the US version for over six months and the European beta since Christmas ...

Page: 1 | 2