Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2
Zero Six Bravo: 60 Special Forces. 100,000 Enemy. The Explosive True Story.
Zero Six Bravo: 60 Special Forces. 100,000 Enemy. The Explosive True Story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and exciting from start to finish!, 7 Jan 2014
First, let me start by writing that this is a real story and the events described in it are non-fiction, which makes it even more amazing.

When M SQN of the Special Boat Service (SBS: the Navy equivelant of the SAS) was tasked with infiltrating Northern Iraq and forcing the Iraqi 5th Corps to surrender, they didn't know what they were in for.

60 sepcial forces operators and twenty modified Land Rovers against 100, 000 Iraqi soldiers supported by main battle tanks and heavy machine guns.

British "intelligence" suggested that the 5th Corps' morale was low, they weren't going to fight and would more than likely surrender at the first sight of M SQN.

Unfortuantely, nothing could be further from the truth. An incredible story of courage, resilience and dogged determination in the face of insurmountable odds.

This book is well written and I found it difficult to put down. I hadn't heard of M SQN's plight before, which was part of the reason I purchased the book. I'm glad I did.

An incredible true story. I highly recommend it.

Without Warning: a Soldier's Extraordinary Journey
Without Warning: a Soldier's Extraordinary Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 10 Nov 2013
This is the story of Damien Thomlinson, who spent his life as a young tear away and problem child, that is until he applied for and (after the gruelling selection course), was accepted as an Australian Commando as a member of the Australian Special Forces.

After an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) traumatically amputated both legs above the knee, he was soon fighting for his life lying in the fine dust of Afghanistan. Fast thinking comrades treated him and called for airborne extraction.

This is an incredible story about true courage, dogged determination and sheer bloody motivation. Damien lays his life bare in the public domain for all to see, not just the good, but the bad too. That in itself takes a big person. He discusses problems with narrow thinking doctors who don't seem to want to help, reltionaship breakdowns, his struggle with addiction, and how, faced with all of this, he still succeeds. Truly inspirational.

It is easy to see why Damien, today, is a motivational speaker. It is also no surprise that he will represent Australia in the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games as a double amputee snowboarder. That in itself gives some indication of the intestinal fortitude of the man.

Recommended!

Exit Wounds: One Australian's War On Terror
Exit Wounds: One Australian's War On Terror

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely powerful!, 30 Oct 2013
What an amazing read!

During my military career, I have developed a healthy distrust of officers. They are more often than not, arrogant, ignorant, lack common sense and are usually more interested in impressing their chain of command (at the detriment of their troops) in order to secure their next big promotion or cushy posting.

However, occasionally, just occasionally, I have had the honour of serving under the command of an officer who is more interested in the well-being of his soldiers at the coal face, rather than impressing his hierarchy.

John Cantwell strikes me as the latter of the two types of officers. Let me explain. In Afghanistan, officers of the former description attempt to get Cantwell to try and use the Canadian's morgue for our dead soldiers, rather than build our own. It would be cheaper that way. Cantwell argues until he's blue in the face, but loses. So he approaches the Canadians to make the request and the Canadians tell him to, "...piss off and take care of your own dead." I smiled as I read that part.

Cantwell relayed that message in no uncertain terms back home to the morons who had made the request. On another incident, on the day after an Australian soldier was killed on patrol, again, moron officers back in Australia fervently asked Cantwell why the Australian patrol had no ANA soldiers present (as if that would have saved the digger's life). Cantwell tells the idiot on the other end to pull his head in and let the diggers grieve their dead mate.

During his time as commanding officer of Task Force 633 (commanding all ADF personnel in the Middle Eastern Area of Operations) 10 soldiers will die under Cantwell's watch. He personally identifies every last one of them before they are sent home to their families.
He displays a genuine interest and care for the men and women who were under his command. More often than not, he took up a weapon and went over the wire in Afghanistan accompanying foot and mechanised patrols (much to the Chief of Defence Force's chagrin). It's ok for a baggy arse digger to get shot or blown up, but not a high ranking officer? I think not. John Cantwell displays true courage, not only physically, but emotionally as he lays his raw military life with highs and lows as well as his struggle with PTSD open for all to see in this autobiography.

I highly recommend this book. It is moving and extremely powerful.

Savage Tide
Savage Tide

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard hitting, fast paced and utterly realistic!, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Savage Tide (Kindle Edition)
Savage Tide is Greg Barron's second instalment of the series starring hard hitting intelligence officer, Marika Hartmann. Let me tell you, the pace of this novel does not ease up from start to finish. It flows smoothly with powerful, well developed characters. Probably my favourite character was a pilot by the name of Nayan whose extraordinary courage beggars belief. He is only a minor character, but plays a vital role that I did not see coming.

The story itself surrounds a group of extremists who have acquired old Iraqi biological weapons. Their intention? To destroy the western world. Marika must lead her team into hostile territory where one wrong move will spell death. The pace is fast, the story utterly believable, and Marika, as always, is inspiring.
Highly recommended!

Too Bold to Die: The Making of Australian War Heroes
Too Bold to Die: The Making of Australian War Heroes

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Researched, 11 Oct 2013
It's easy to see that McPhedran has spent arduous hours researching each ADF member represented in this well written, comprehensive book. The men in this book are (or at least should be) the real role models for our youth. Not the footballers or the movie actors, some of whom choose to bang drugs into their veins or snort all kinds of illegal crud up their noses, but these men, the ones you rarely hear about, the ones who risked their lives to save their mates and serve their country.

One thing I didn't like, that was highlighted in Too Bold To Die, was the Australian Honours and Awards system, where members who deserve recognition are overlooked simply because the medal quota has been met. I didn't know the Honours and Awards system worked in such a neanderthal way, but it is disgraceful. I prefer the American system, it is much fairer and recognition is given where it is due.

A well written book. If you want to find out more about these incredibly brave men, consider downloading this book, you won't be disappointed!

SAS JUSTICE! SPECIAL FORCES VENDETTA: BAD SAMARITANS I
SAS JUSTICE! SPECIAL FORCES VENDETTA: BAD SAMARITANS I

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book!, 22 July 2013
Strong, well developed characters and a fluent, rolling plot make this a page turner I found hard to put down. Recommended!

V Trooper - Second Mission - The Demon
V Trooper - Second Mission - The Demon

5.0 out of 5 stars Back into the fray!, 10 April 2013
Wil Boyd takes us on another fast paced adventure infiltrating Taliban strongholds. However, in this newest offering, there is something else against which he must fight. An ancient evil that has never known defeat.

As with V Trooper First Mission, this novela is well paced with crisp characters and a succinct plot which is easy to follow and thoroughly entertaining. I usually read before bed of an evening, and I have to say, I always looked forward to joining in on the next part of the adventure. It's just a pity it was over so quickly. Bring on Third Mission!

Stonewalled
Stonewalled

4.0 out of 5 stars What a great story!, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Stonewalled (Kindle Edition)
Stonewalled had me hooked from the very beginning. The plot expands and progresses at a nice pace and the characters are very well fleshed out, not to mention refreshingly human. The novel does require a thorough edit, however, I found that in no way detracted from the story (which is a very solid plot that has been executed extremely well). If you like action & adventure thrillers, download this book, you won't be disappointed!

The Division of the Damned
The Division of the Damned

4.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping read!, 21 Jan 2013
This was a really unique, original take on the vampire theme and had me entertained the whole way through. I'm not fanatical about vampire novels, but this one was good, give it a go!

Demonsouled
Demonsouled

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, thoroughly entertaining, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Demonsouled (Kindle Edition)
I found this book gritty and grounded, which is a refreshing change from pretty elves holding hands and dancing around a magical fire at the base of a magical tree in a magical forest.

I can definitely see the influence that David Gemmell played in this author's development, and that's what I like about the story, I can see a similar style to Gemmell's. I would have given 5 stars, however the book requires a thorough edit, which seemed to have been done up until almost the half way mark and then the grammatical errors started, so I'm not sure what happened there. However, for me anyway, the errors did not detract from the story. One other thing I found was that the characters tend to do a lot of 'snorting' (particularly the main character).

However, the characters are well developed and I cared for most of them, cardboard cutouts they are certainly not.

I highly recommend this gritty, thoroughly entertaining book, highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2