Profile for Mr. T. Wilkinson > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. Wilkinson

Mr. T. Wilkinson (York, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Funky Barn (Nintendo Wii U)
Funky Barn (Nintendo Wii U)
Offered by filmrollen

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 16 May 2014
Without doubt the worst game I've had the misfortune to play in a long time. It calls itself a game for young kids (its rated 3 and above), however with poorly responsive controls, walls of complicated text to read and a way too complicated and rapid "Age of Empires lite" simulator it is unusable by kids. I tried it with a 4 and 7 year old and both found it too tricky. I tried it myself and found the controls atrocious and the game just dire.

Really, really appalling. Just avoid it. It pretends to be a kids game, but its just not and its way too pathetically poor to be an adult game.

Sony BDPS1200 Smart Blu-ray Disc Player
Sony BDPS1200 Smart Blu-ray Disc Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 16 May 2014
Got this from "another provider" for the same price as Amazon, but available to pick up straight away, otherwise I'd have got it here.

Anyway, the player itself is smaller than an A4 sheet of paper and the top has a slight pyramid roof. Its lightweight and comes with a seperate power adaptor which keeps the size down.

Setting it up was easy and I didn't use the (thin) manual at all. I just plugged an ethernet cable into the back, hdmi to my TV and then powered it up. It is hard to see when its on tbh as the power light is very dim and is more of a "power slit". You can tell it if you look closely. Controls on the player are just power on and off and eject.

Once on, I setup the network (auto setup) and then connected to my Amazon Prime account. I was able to watch a film via the menu interface which is almost identical to the PS3 interface and - if you're not used to that kind of i/f - not the most user friendly. Booting up was very fast and brought you to the PS3 Interface. From there, you select an app (of which there are a fair few including iPlayer and 5 on Demand) or photos (via USB stick), or radio channel or a DVD. You can also go into settings and other apps like Facebook.

Play quality was perfect through a cheap and cheerful bottom end (£10) hdmi cable and I tested it on DVD, blu ray and Amazon Prime. No stuttering or picture degradation.

Annoying things are that the handset is quite tiny and fiddly. Also the Netflix button (about the largest) is not user definable which is a shame as I'd like it to have booted into Amazon. I'd also have liked an option to boot to DVD or the PS3 style menu as its not intuitive.

However, its cheap as hell and does the job. Boots up almost instantly and picture quality is good. I dont need 3D (hurts my eyes tbh), nor wifi. I just needed a cheap blu ray that I could connect to the network and run Amazon Instant.

Cascade Chocolate Fountain with 900g Luxury Belgian Milk Chocolate
Cascade Chocolate Fountain with 900g Luxury Belgian Milk Chocolate
Offered by JM POSNER

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the ordinary, 3 Mar 2014
I have a Posner mini "ordinary" fountain and this is a significant improvement over it. You don't have to worry about making the thing level to get the flow right and the heating element is very hot (you could burn yourself on it!). As a consequence of these (and the large size of the bowl, which is very deep), it keeps the chocolate flowing easily (both the provided "proper" chocolate and some dark chocolate bars we bought to make ourselves). The large size means it can easily take 900g / 2 lb of chocolate and it can deal with a lot of children and adults wanting to use it.

It was easy to put together (I didn't read the instructions) and I ignored the suggestion to assemble it "after" putting in the chocolate, as that made no sense to me. The fountain came in 8 parts and didn't take long at all to set up.

Yes it gets messy, but a hot bowl of water and washing up liquid (or a dishwasher would have been even easier) and it was done. It took about 10-15 minutes to clean up. Just don't leave the chocolate to harden, clean it straight away, while its still melted.

As I said, i think its better than the "usual" fountains. The flow is easier to achieve and the fountain has more of a "wow" factor. There is a reason that the professional fountains are increasingly the "cascade" type and that's because they look better and are easier to set-up and use.

KK-LIGHT KKgud New Arrival Club Disco DJ Party Ball Lights Music MP3 Remote Control Colors Changing Effect Mini LED Stage laser Lighting Spiders Web Net Lights
Offered by aChampion

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - not perfect, 25 Feb 2014
Got this for a 7 year old's party and for that I think it will do the job. Beyond that and I think it would be pushing it. Its not something for adults really.

Pros:
1. Inbuilt speaker is clear and although lacking bass is loud enough for indoor use
2. UK power lead
3. Comes with an 80mb USB stick on which are about a dozen (very poor sound quality - I thought the speaker was broken at first) songs to test with
4, Two modes: USB play where it plays songs off a USB stick and has sound to light chasing and Auto where it listens for sound and changes the pace of the lights to match
5. Lights will easily fill a large living room (they just about managed to fill my living room and dining room which is about 10 metres long.
6. Quiet motor
7. When chasing music (sound to light) its quite impressive (if a little dazzling) and will keep kids very happy in a room I think
8. USB play is easy. Stick some mp3s on a USB stick (up to 2GB in size - 1 GB holds ~250 songs) and off it goes. Music files can be stored anywhere on the USB stick (in folders or in the root directory)
9. Remote has quite a range, but there isnt much you will want to do with it (and nothing you can do with it in Auto play)
10. Remembers the last track played on the USB stick and the position after power cycle.

Cons:
1. Will not accept USB stick of larger than 2GB size
2. Cannot change the pattern or colour of the lights. They are random in what they do.
3. When in "auto" mode (just on with no music to listen to), it is quite a slowly rotating collection of lights. You cant speed up the lights or select a pattern or colour. I "suppose" it could work in a baby's bedroom or if you were wanting to "chill out" Sixties style.
4. Power lead is about 1.5 meter long
5. Microphone is not very sensitive and you need to have your music loud or the device within 1 foot of your speaker or use the USB stick. Otherwise it does not pick up the music and change the lights. It also does not change the lights if the USB music is too quiet. Oddly, it picked up me coughing easily, but music less so.
6. Only plays .mp3 files on USB stick (or appears to only read these... .m4a and a few others I tried all failed).
7. Play order of songs on the USB stick is the order in which they were added to the stick and not alphabetically etc.
8. Very limited controls. In "Auto" you can do nothing at all. In "USB Play", you can do "Next" and "Previous" track and adjust the volume of the music. Thats it.
9. There is no "On / Off" switch
10. You need to add your own batteries for the remote (2 AAA)
11. Inbuilt speaker lacks bass but is otherwise surprisingly high quality and can get quite loud (louder than I was willing to test in a semi detached house) without distortion.
12. No display to indicate play mode or current track
13. Refused to go back past a certain track at one point for no apparent reason. I had to go forwards instead to get back to it.
14. In use, the ball has a tendency to dazzle if looked at and the best display (and the one shown in the pictures is on the ceiling directly above it).

I've not used an SD Card in the slot, I assume it will work the same as the USB stick and accept only mp3 files and max 2GB cards

PS. I ordered this via Zuwitdirect.

Last Stand [Blu-ray] [2013]
Last Stand [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down, 24 Feb 2014
I watched this in two sittings, which wont have helped it to be honest. However, despite being a major Arnie fan, I was disappointed with this. It lacked the humour and coherent action of yore and the "acting" was more "Commando" than "Predator". I also thought the violence was a little OTT and not necessary in places.

Its almost in the "2 star" territory for me to be honest. There were parts where it was almost laughable how inept the "baddies" were and I blame whoever the director was for this. As an example in one scene you saw two baddies stood opposite Arnie with their weapons raised. He gunned down two to three others (which took a couple of seconds) and then turned to them and they were STILL stood there unmoving and waiting patiently to be killed. There were lots of moments where the bad guys acted beyond dumb.

If you like mindless / brain out "action" (small letters), then this more or less does it. It lacks the humour that used to make Arnie a classic and instead tried to take itself seriously while the film itself was like a bad "A Team" episode. Certainly not "absolutely brilliant" , but it was nice to see Arnie once again... just a shame he didn't at least utter "I'll be back" with a smile to the camera or something cheesey as it would have helped the film.

Minty Geek Starlights LED Kit
Minty Geek Starlights LED Kit
Offered by Minty Geek

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Minty Geek Starlights LED Kit
For what it is, its well overpriced unfortunately. You get a few leds, some conductive thread, a battery, a battery holder and a paper instruction leaflet. These are all contained in a small cigarette packet sized tin.

To be honest, I liked the idea and wanted to see what the components were so I could buy them online cheaper. I've since done that and you can get the components a LOT cheaper. The other issue is that there are not a lot of leds in the kit (about 6 of the 3 colours) and this is very much a "taster" kit which has very limited practical use.

I'd honestly avoid this kit unless you're lazy, because a quick google will find alternatives that are better and cheaper.

Children's Mobile Phone Tracker - GSM GPS Tracking, SOS Calls, SMS, Voice Monitoring GK301 (Orange, Blue)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 24 Feb 2014
When I decided to buy this, there was very little online to easily find about it, so it was a risk. However, I decided to go for it.

The phone turned up (from China) a day or two earlier than stated and emails I sent (about which colour I wanted) were replied to promptly and helpfully (they reply overnight).

The phone when it turned up had simplistic, but understandable instructions and the phone is sim free (unlocked) and will work with any sim. Its a little smaller than the old nokia phones of yore and you make calls using one of the 4 "paws", which can be set to different or the same number. The "SOS" tummy button sends a text out to any people who are able to call to it (1 of the 4) saying where the phone is and to call the phone. It can be a little easy for confused little fingers to press this and not know they have.

The audio quality is fine on the phone (something I'd worried about) and you can hear from and to the phone fine. There is a choice of 10 ringtones on the phone, all of which are fairly dire and none of which is particularly loud. At max volume, it was acceptable, but not incredible and its for this that it loses a star. We missed calls because it could not be heard.

The other thing with the phone is that it turns off the GPS after a period and if you ask it where it is (send a "URL#" text), then it turns on the GPS and looks to find satellites for 5 minutes. If it doesn't find a satellite (i.e. its indoors), then it will tell you the last place it had a fix, which can be the other side of the country. There IS apparently a website that you can log onto and from which you can get a general idea of where the phone is without using GPS (I think based on the last mast it connected to). I've not managed to use this yet as it needed the IMEI number and that was on the phone!

Battery life was good and the phone lasted from Tuesday night to Sunday night before it sent a "help I'm running out of power!" text to those connected to it.

Aside from the ability to call the phone (only from the 1-4 numbers) and locate it via GPS / web (wireless), the phone also has the ability to allow any of the 4 numbers to make it "call them back". This allows the caller to monitor the room the phone is in to make sure everything is okay. I've not used this feature and I'm not sure how audible anything would be as its quite quiet when talking directly into it.

All in all, it was very good, however, the quiet ringtone, the GPS not recording where it was regularly (I THINK you can set the GPS to stay on longer) and a security issue in that anyone with the bear's phone number could in theory block out anyone else, (you program the phone by sending texts to the phone number), it was and is a really good phone.

Note: when programming the phone, it is not case sensitive, but do not leave any spaces in the texts and remember to end in "#".

Recommended. The girls loved it. I need to get a different sim though as its hard to tell that its out of signal coverage.

Magician (Riftwar Saga)
Magician (Riftwar Saga)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit too derivative, 30 Dec 2013
This book borrows a bit too much from The Lord of The Rings to be a classic. There are Dwarves and Elves and Goblins and even a mine that has to be navigated through as the passes are closed by snow. A couple of elements take it above the Shannara level of plagiarism though. These are the Tsurani, the politics and the use of magic. I did find it a bit slow in places and a couple of the stories were a a little slow.

MOFRED® 6 Pack Screen Protector Value Pack For Nexus 7 2 II Tablet 2013 Model with Cleaning Cloth And Application Card
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 26 Dec 2013
6 screen protectors for very little money is a really good deal.

The instructions are not all that clear, but I'd used others which were, so I was okay. Basically, go in your bathroom and turn on the shower. This removes the dust from the room and makes it a LOT easier to install without flecks on the screen. I screwed up the first screen I tried to put on, but I had 6 chances, so I was fine. Second one (with the shower room trick) came out almost perfect. Little tricky to fit, but this was the best I've ever managed to do trying to fit a screen protector.

Seeker [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Seeker [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Alexander Ludwig
Offered by supermart_usa

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap, 26 Dec 2013
I'm not going to waste any more time on this rubbish than I already did watching it. Its just very, very poor. Avoid.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6