Profile for Reshmi Goff > Reviews

Reshmi Goff (Ireland)

The Palace of Illusions
The Palace of Illusions
by Chitra Divakaruni

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, great concept, written with richness, 26 Aug. 2011
One of my favourite epic stories is the Mahabharata. But more importantly, I always felt that Draupadi's view of the events had been neglected and that the story was always told from the men's point of view.

Not anymore though: this book is beautifully written, the descriptive narration is a delight. It takes your imagination away and you visualize the events through Draupadi's eyes. The language is full of colour and richness and you see the India of the golden age, or at least how I imagine it to have been!

I loved the way it humanises her, the way it shows human failings even amongst the best of us. It was a trip through epic times but told with such richness. I grew up with this story, and yet when i read this book it was an enchantment, a journey through discovery of human nature entwined with the divine.

The book had everything and it never ceases to amaze me how human nature stays the same through the passage of time.

Thank you for such a great read!

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars The Bored Symbol, 3 Mar. 2010
I was really looking forward to a fast paced storyline, instead I was bored, bored bored....

What appeared to be a promising book, especially since the author mentioned the Upanishads in the beginning turned out to be predictable and just a complete and utter waste of my time.

It was obvious what the real identity of the vilain was miles off before it was revealed.

I just felt that the author dangled some promising material in the beginning and then didn't really use it. I was bored and this book did not hold any surprises and was a major let down.

I used to think that Foucault's pendulum was the thinking man's Da Vinci Code. Now I think that the da Vinci code is the thinking man's The Lost Symbol. It almost seems that the author took away any form of intelligence from Robert Langdon. It almost feels like after the Da Vinci code episode, Robert Langdon has undergone a lobotomy.

As for his side-kick, she just seemed to be made of cardboard. A woman with no depth who is manipulated by her brother into her area of study. I cannot count the number of times that the author mentions her beauty. This unfortunately could not distract from her almost comical depiction. It seemed like a completely immature and what I would definitely not regard as being an intelligent woman.

Just a really disappointing book, and very poorly written. The characters were very one-dimensional and poorly thought out.