Profile for John M Fisher > Reviews

Content by John M Fisher

John M Fisher (Exiled Yorkshireman)

Page: 1 | 2
Slouching Towards Blubberhouses: (A Right Grand) Tour De Yorkshireness
Slouching Towards Blubberhouses: (A Right Grand) Tour De Yorkshireness
by Tony Hannan

4.0 out of 5 stars Ever wondered why people are jealous of Yorkshire folk?, well now you know :-), 2 Jan. 2015
A truly fascinating and enjoyable journey through what makes "God's country" so great. As a bit of a "professional Yorkshireman" (I remember someone once telling me "never ask anyone if they are from Yorkshire - if they are they will have already told you and if not, why humiliate them!) now living as a missionary on the wrong side of the Pennines this was just a pleasure to read. My home town of Skipton gets a large mention and I've come across many of the attitudes, people and places talked about in the book.

Mr Hannan takes a lighthearted look at what it is that defines "Yorkshireness", gently poking fun at some of our foibles and idiosyncrasies (some of which are far to close to home) as well as giving some fascinating background information (there were bits in here I wasn't aware of before). He also tries to unpick our psyche and presents an interesting socio-economic/cultural point of view that underpins his journey through the county. There is even an attempt to understand our psychology (or pyschology as the chapter heading calls it!!) using what is, for me, the best personality model there is (Personal Construct Theory) which came as a pleasant surprise.

The only reason I've given 4 not 5 starts is due to the production quality of the actual book - there are a few silly typo's (one above) and some pages have what can best be described a "crease mark" type areas where some letters haven't printed!

The Invisible Sale: How to Build a Digitally Powered Marketing and Sales System to Better Prospect, Qualify and Close Leads (Que Biz-Tech)
by Tom Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars useful hints and tips for businesses, 11 Dec. 2014
It's not about the book, it is more about me and where I am at!. There are some good hints, tips and pointers in here, I'm just having to work to make them fit my one man leadership consulting business. I've got some good ideas that I now need to understand how to make them fit into my world.

One in a Million: My Story
One in a Million: My Story
by Steve Prescott MBE

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 11 Dec. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it is a story of courage and endurance. What Steve Prescott achieved after being diagnosed with cancer is remarkable. Really it is a book of two halves, the first his rugby league career and the second his charity work after his diagnosis. Both are interesting and enjoyable but it is the second half where his true grit comes to the fore.

I found the book to be both uplifting and at the same time sad (to anyone on the Milton Keynes to Preston train on a Sunday in December - yes I did have to brush tears from my eyes a few times reading this book). However it is as a testament to the human spirit and its capacity to endure that makes this book so speacial.

Long Life 2L Alkaline Jug - Make Hydrogen Rich up to pH 10.0 Anti-Oxidant Water - 12 Month Filter Supply

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment!, 28 Nov. 2014
I bought this with high hopes, having heard some really good things about maintaining a good ph balance. Unfortunately this product did not live up to expectations.

Firstly, the filters rarely filter!, after filtering one full reservoir the filter needs replacing! and even then there is usually an inch of water remaining in the reservoir all the time.

Then we have the jug design - when pouring the filtered water some of the water from the reservoir can mix with filtered water thus contaminating it.

This leads to the last problem in that I never got a ph greater than 7.5!

Playing the Project Manager
Playing the Project Manager
by Mr Charles Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn how to play the (project) game, 20 Nov. 2014
This is a fascinating little book that explores the games we play in our role as a project manager (or even really as a manager). Taking a leaf from Jungian psychology and using stories from practicing project managers, Mr Smith has identified various archetype behaviours/attitudes/approaches in how project managers implement their profession.

Certainly, as an ex-project manager, I can clearly see myself (warts and all) in one of the roles (that of the "enforcer") and I could also place some of my colleagues in the way they managed their projects.

if you want an interesting, sometimes challenging, picture of how we manage then this book will give you an insight. by implication you can work out how to either manage the project manager or change you style to suit the needs of the situation (or grow and develop rounder skills)

Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow (J-B US non-Franchise Leadership)
by Tony Hsieh

5.0 out of 5 stars Maslow for the next generation!, 11 Nov. 2014
I use Maslow's hierarchy of needs a lot in my training and development work - mainly because it works!, people can see, recognise and understand it. What Chip Conley has done though is take Maslow to another level and extended it's versatility and impact by giving us three versions of the hierarchy - that for the employee, customer and investor. if you want to get some more ways to implement the basic principles of motivation and persuasion then this book will give you some!

The simplified employee version of the triangle gives us "money", "recognition" and "meaning" and expands on each,setting them in a wider context based on the authors own experience. Whilst the cultural implications of some of the examples and anecdotes, being American, will be lost to a non US audience the underlying strength of the theory is all there.

There is a nice questionnaire at the end looking at how the individual perceives their role - as either a "job", a "career" or a "calling" that I've already very successfully trialled with a couple of dozen first line leaders in a manufacturing environment.

The book works!, what more can I say

Redirect: Changing the Stories We Live By
Redirect: Changing the Stories We Live By
by Timothy Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars Redirect: changing the Story (books) you buy, 19 July 2014
Like a couple of other reviewers I found this book intriguing and ultimately disappointing. I must have read a different book to the people quoted on the cover!,

There was nothing really new in this book (even the author tells us that early on) and he falls into the trap he accuses books like the Secret of doing in that he makes vague and unsubstantiated assumptions (e.g. when talking about the experiments where children were playing with the robot; where he attributes thoughts and drivers to the children with no evidence to support his assertions!).

Yes his techniques are good and his anecdotes are, in the main, entertaining and enjoyable, however, for me, this is a "pop" psychology book aimed at a similar market to those "self help" books he derides. I also agree that "common sense" is over-rated and can hinder as much as help - plus I don't think "common sense" exists till someone else points it out anyway!

If you want an enjoyable read that re-enforces your existing knowledge, reminds you of what you know and adds a couple more supporting stories then this book will give you that, if you want a new psychology then probably look elsewhere.

Bosch (Art & Ideas)
Bosch (Art & Ideas)
by Laurinda Dixon

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosch - alchemy and religion decoded, 5 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Bosch (Art & Ideas) (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book!, it gives a fascinating insight into the world of the late 15th century seen through the eyes of my favourite artist. This book explains Bosch's paintings and puts them into their wider socio-religious context.

Whilst little is know about just who Bosch was and what life was like for him, Dixon does a superb job of bringing the era to life and letting us glimpse what underpins some of the most famous pictures. Dixon looks at the alchemical influences and imagery in Bosch's painting and gives credit to the much maligned forerunner of today's chemists. (Where would we be without alchemists? - a far poorer place in my opinion.)

Dixon takes each picture and looks at what the various symbols, images and creatures actually mean or represent from within their own culture rather than imposing a modern interpretation on them.

It also cites my second favourite artist (Bruegel) as a follower of Bosch (no surprise then why he's number 2 for me). The surrealists also cite Bosch as one of their key influencers - although looking at his fertile imagination and grotesque images I can't see why :-). In fact, Dali used one of Bosch's images as a central feature of one of his own paintings.

Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy
by Martin Lindstrom

5.0 out of 5 stars Be afraid, be very afraid - Big Brother IS watching!, 8 July 2012
Forget Stephen King et al, this is probably the scariest book you'll ever read! Lindstrom takes us through a fascinating (and terrifying) journey showing how we are constantly manipulated by companies to buy whatever they are selling.

He begins by talking about how he wants to "pick up where" Vance Packard's classic 1950's book "The Hidden Persuaders" left off. He has more than achieved this. Packard's book is, in my opinion, one of the best books on influence (and the book I credit with giving me an interest in psychology - which remains to this day) along with Cialdini around. This now joins that select group.

Lindstrom explains the sophisticated techniques now being used to part us from our money without us recognising how much we are being tricked, and how much information that the biggest companies actually hold about us without our knowledge or agreement. Even this will now add to the covert file that is John Fisher's buying/liking habits!; and reflects one of the techniques Lindstrom discusses - that of peer/colleague word of mouth recommendation. Of course Amazon are a classic example of this technique with their "reader's lists" and recommendations - both directly or more subtley in the "readers who bought "X" also bought "Y". How many of us have accepted Amazon's kind offer to share with our Facebook friends our latest purchase - now I know why!

In many ways I can see throughout the book examples of Cialdini's social influencers and how they are now being used. This book should be required reading on every influence, persuasion or social psychology media course!

Scarily, you will still be manipulated by these techniques in the same (oblivious/subconscious) way and only once you've been caught will you (possibly/occaisionally) realsie you've been got!

Society's Child: My Autobiography
Society's Child: My Autobiography
by Janis, Performer Ian

5.0 out of 5 stars Fly too high - the peaks and troughs of a great singer/songwriter, 17 Jun. 2012
The book is simply superb, it is full of highs and lows, choices both good and bad (and some "what the ..." decisions). Whether you know much of her work or not this book is a triumph over obversity and shows how we can overcome all the difficulties life throws at us.

From victimisation by the FBI (of her parents - a sad indictment of MacCarthyism) through to her own struggles with a narrow minded petty bureacratic officious IRS representative she shows both a naivety and a tenaciousness that makes this book both laugh out loud funny, poingnant and frustration at how America treats its genius' in almost equal measures. Janis Ian's light shines throughout the book. It is a triumph over personal and professional challenges.

Maybe this is really a love story! - one persons love of music and making music that satisfys the soul! If you want to be eventually uplifted, buy this book, if you want a good read buy this book, if you want an insiders view of 60's and 70's American music, buy this book. In fact just buy the book!

Page: 1 | 2