Profile for Busy Mum Of Boys > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Teenage Prayer Experiment Notebook
The Teenage Prayer Experiment Notebook
by Miranda Threlfall-Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars Prayer doesn't have to be boring one way conversation!, 23 April 2015
Having a soon to be teenager, and attending a fairly traditional church with no specific youth activities, I was hoping that this book would introduce him to a more interesting and varied prayer life. Prayer can often be taken to be a one way talk to God either through ready written liturgical prayers or a spouted off shopping list and I wanted an easy to way to introduce him to the concept that prayer is both conversation and spending time with God without him just assuming it was his mum going on at him.
I have to say that the book has been even better than I expected. The first night he didn't want to put it down, and kept coming over to tell me how exciting it was and all the things he was going to try. He hasn't had a lot of time to try many of the methods out yet, but so far it is encouraging just to see him fired up about trying to pray. With space to store notes about how the prayer time went in the book I see it being a useful resource for him for some time to come.

On Prayer
On Prayer
by Magaret Silf

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: On Prayer (Paperback)
I bought this book as I had to write an essay on prayer. This book is not in any form an 'academic' text book but I have found it incredibly helpful. It is lots of short passages (a bit like poetry) that relate to different topics on prayer - what is prayer, who do I pray to, how should I pray, where should I pray etc. It challenges the preconceived idea that prayer is us talking to God, but describes how prayer is two way communication with God and a gift from God. It shows how prayer should/could be naturally incorporated into our daily lives. It is less than 100 pages long so easy to read in a single sitting, but a book that I can see myself returning to for inspiration in my prayer life.

The Daily Bible® -- in Chronological Order (NIV®)
The Daily Bible® -- in Chronological Order (NIV®)

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful commentary on bible passages, 24 Feb. 2015
I have been reading this for the last couple of months now. It is laid out to start reading from the 1st January which suited me, but may be more of a challenge if bought in July. I have found the authors comments about the bible passages helpful, and very good at tying up loose ends - pointing out relationships between the different bible characters for example that may not be immediately obvious. The passages are fairly long but I have felt that the authors commentary has done a good job of explaining what is going to happen so the passages aren't cumbersome to read.

The Daily Office: Benedictine Edition
The Daily Office: Benedictine Edition

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for the offices but hard to navigate, 24 Feb. 2015
For less than a pound this was a useful addition to the kindle library, so I can easily take the daily offices with me when I go away. However, there are no page numbers/index so navigation is not very easy. I have learnt that Compline is location 555 for example, but otherwise it is a case of swiping through page after page to find which psalm/canticle etc that you want.

Lucy Evans, the InstaExplorer: The Olympias Clue and Dragon's Rock
Lucy Evans, the InstaExplorer: The Olympias Clue and Dragon's Rock

4.0 out of 5 stars Good short stories perfect for bedtime, 24 Feb. 2015
My 8 and 6 year olds enjoyed these stories. They are quite short and can be read in a couple of sittings at bedtime. There is good suspense and they wanted to find out what happened next. The description is clear, and it was easy to envisage the scenes (aided by photographs). I liked the way that there are 'instagram pictures' with likes underneath them that the heroine Lucy is supposed to have taken on her adventures, and also that the text embeds Greek in the first story and Welsh in the second story. There are then little glossaries after each chapter to remind the reader what those words meant. We will be looking forward to reading more books in the series.
Just to add - my tweenager has admitted sitting outside his brother's bedroom to catch these stories!
Several days after finishing book 1 and the boys are asking when they are getting the next Lucy story - I'm off to the Kindle store...
(I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review).

Spectrum Bag. Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K Sports Bag. Retro 80s
Spectrum Bag. Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K Sports Bag. Retro 80s
Offered by Gadget Grotto

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, 2 July 2013
Well made and does the job, but a slightly fun product for the geeky guy who has everything. Could do with another!

The Complete Book of Dinosaurs: The Ultimate Reference to 355 Dinosaurs from the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous Periods, Including More Than 900 Illustrations, Maps, Timelines and Photographs
by Dougal Dixon

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb reference book, 2 July 2013
I bought this for my 10year old son to do a dinosaur project. It hasn't disappointed. Clearly laid out into different time periods. All dinosaurs easily classified. Absolutely full of information. If you are only going to buy one dinosaur fact book, this is the one to get!
My 6 year old has also enjoyed reading it.

TRANSFORMING MISSION (American Society of Missiology)
TRANSFORMING MISSION (American Society of Missiology)
by BOSCH

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for ordinands, 8 Feb. 2013
Whilst this took a while to get into, being a very academic text, it is actually a very interesting and useful read, especially for anybody studying mission. It looks at the church adapting to the culture of the time for success in God's mission and how this is relevant today.

Dinosaur Bones
Dinosaur Bones
by Elaine Whybro

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny poems make easy reading, 10 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Dinosaur Bones (Paperback)
I don't tend to read much poetry but found the poems in this book very entertaining. The poems tend to be rhyming verse so very easy to read and look at subject areas as diverse as the poetess's children through to her take on political hot potatoes. Well worth a browse through!

Learning Resources Gears! Gears! Gears! Movin' Monkeys
Learning Resources Gears! Gears! Gears! Movin' Monkeys
Offered by MMP Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for some kids!, 30 Aug. 2011
My eldest son (9) is not particularly interested in this toy although he has used it a small amount in the last couple of years, he is more into lego.
My middle son however who is now nearly 5 has loved it and used it loads, but he has always been interested in cogs, gears, water wheels etc. When we first got it he would just help find out the right colour cogs to put together to make the specific model, but now he is almost able to build the model just from the plans with minimal assistance. He loves making up his own models too.
My youngest son (nearly 3) likes making up his own models with this but I can't see him using it as much as his middle brother.
So in summary, a good buy for a child who is already interested in gears/how things work.

Page: 1 | 2