Profile for S. Tuck > Reviews

Content by S. Tuck

S. Tuck "sptuck96" (Surrey, UK)

Tiger Hills
Tiger Hills
by Sarita Mandanna

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me gripped till the end, 1 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Tiger Hills (Paperback)
I have just finished this book and thought it was very good. It is not what I expected from reading the blurb on the back but offered a number of surprises taking the story away from the formulaic to something I was gripped to keep reading till the end. The 2 main characters are both likeable yet at times with both of them you are annoyed at them for their actions. Their relationships with parents and children are complex and the autor does a very good job of evoking the sights and smells of the plantation. My only concern was I felt it was a bit rushed towards the end with a lot happening in a few pages but despite that would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good family saga to keep them interested.

A Song in the Daylight
A Song in the Daylight
by Paullina Simons

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 1 Feb. 2010
This review is from: A Song in the Daylight (Paperback)
I read this in 3 days as I could not put it down. The books tells the sotry of Larissa, a married mother of 3 who falls for a new man and follows some of the decisions she makes as a consequence. It is very clever in that you like Larissa then you dislike her then like her etc etc and the author has done a very good job of examining some difficult decisions made by someone in this situation. Having read all of Paullina Simon's other books this one stands up very well, despite the length the pace keeps going and you want to know how it turns out. I won't spoil it by saying anymore on the plot but it is a really good book to get stuck into on a wintry weekend.

The House of Special Purpose
The House of Special Purpose
by John Boyne

4.0 out of 5 stars Good gripping story for winter nights, 3 Jan. 2010
Firstly I am no Russian historian however I went into this book knowing it was a novel so took it on that basis.
On that basis I found it a a very interesting read, the ending may not be real as others have said but who cares - read it as a novel and enjoy it rather than wasting time picking it apart!

The author did a very good job of bringing the era alive for me and the story moved along at a very good pace making me want to rush to the end but also wanting to savour it for longer. There is nothing better than a book you want to read slower to make it last but cannot do so as it occupies your mind so well - this was one of those books.

A Happy Marriage
A Happy Marriage
by Rafael Yglesias

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and devastating, 3 Jan. 2010
This review is from: A Happy Marriage (Hardcover)
I just finished this book this morning and have thought of little else. It was beautiful, traumatic, sad, funny and uplifting all in 1 book.

The 2 stories of their marriage now against how they met and the marriage progressed are brilliantly put together so that even though you want to continue in the 1 era when the chapter changes and you get the other one you cannot wait to discover how they have fared.

As you may imagine, parts of the book, especially the end are unflinchingly honest about the devastation of cancer but even so you cannot turn away from the book and want to reach out to them both.

Overall a beautiful book which has meant i need some time before I can pick up anything else. Thank you Rafael.

It's Not What You Think
It's Not What You Think
by Chris Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 23 Nov. 2009
I usually hate celeb autobiographies as they can be very fake but was interested to see what he had to say after reading the other reviews. Unlike other autiobogs he is refreshingly honest about the mistakes he has made in his life but I also love the energy he has had since a child to get where he wanted to be. He has had a lot of good and bad luck in his life but to be able to keep his sense of humour is great as well as his focus. I look forward to the next instalment.

The Clouds Beneath The Sun
The Clouds Beneath The Sun
by Mackenzie Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, great setting, 23 Nov. 2009
I just finished this book after a whole weekend barely putting it down - don't want to give too much away but it is a very good story with interesting characters and a great setting. Nathalie Nelson arrives at a dig in kenya and very quickly becomes involved in a murder mystery that challenges all her emotions and values.

Kenya comes to life and the author has clearly done some research on the period. After enjoying the Kissing Gate, I think this is better and I look forward very much to the next one.