Profile for RockFan101 > Reviews

Dredd [DVD]
Dredd [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karl Urban

4.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant surprise., 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Dredd [DVD] (DVD)
Wasn't expecting much but thought this film was great. Had me gripped from the start. Having read 2000AD as a teenager I was pretty impressed as to how well the movie interpreted the character and MegaCity 1 etc. Soundtrack was also excellent. Watched it with my other half who was surprised to like it - violence levels a bit much for her but not something that unduly bothered me one way or the other. Hope they do more Dredd films in the same vein retaining Karl Urban et al.

The Real Thing
The Real Thing

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 24 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Real Thing (Audio CD)
I'll keep it short. This is a classic from start to finish.

Each track is excellent but it also flows and holds together superbly as a whole album.

As good as it's follow up Angel Dust is bad.

Battle For The Sun
Battle For The Sun
Offered by megamoviestore

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent release from Placebo., 9 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
This is an excellent album. If you have enjoyed Placebo's previous releases you will be pretty certain to like this too.

It's more joyous and upbeat than Meds which is a good thing to my mind, although I also like Meds very much. It holds together and flows as a continuos piece of work well. No duff tracks - but then for me that's what you come to expect from this great band.

As usual the packaging is lavish and the bonus DVD was well worth a watch.

Placebo are definitely one of my favourite 10 bands of all time and I have all their albums. Somehow though they are just about the only one I have not yet seen live - but will be putting that right later in 2009 at Reading and the O2. Looking forward very much to hearing some of these great new songs alongside older classics.

BUY IT!

Argus
Argus
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Album of All Time., 1 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Argus (Audio CD)
My favourite bands of all time are Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Sabbath, Rush and Metallica. But, Desert Island Discs style, if I had to choose only one CD it would be by none of these - it would be Wishbone Ash's Argus. It is a true masterpiece and still gets played regularly especially in the car where I can turn it up and just immerse myself in the sublime and magical dual guitar work and harmony vocals, ably supported by a great rhythm section.

I remember being about 15 (c.1982) when my mates and I were so hungry to hear all the great music out there and were amazed by some of the "new" discoveries we made. It was a particularly good afternoon when one of us borrowed from someone's brother Argus (and Boston - another fantastic CD). Onto the record deck it went...and wow!

Without being a concept album as such the tracks flow seemlessly into each other and almost form a single piece of music creating a wonderful uplifting atmosphere throughout. Makes you feel like all is well in the world on a warm, sunny, happy summers day in the country

If you like your rock music and have a reasonably broad taste but don't know this album I urge you to at least give it a listen. If you don't like it you've not lost much but if you do like it you have gained a CD you will return to time after time after time and be mournful that you have only just discovered it - it is that good. Don't judge it by other Wishbone Ash stuff - with perhaps the exception of Live Dates Vol 1 - as it is on a level all it's own. Great artwork too.

ALL WILL BE REVEALED
ALL WILL BE REVEALED

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Modern Heavy Rock CD., 1 Oct. 2008
This review is from: ALL WILL BE REVEALED (Audio CD)
Diamond Head were the first live band I ever saw back in 1982 at the Hammersmith Odeon on the Borrowed Time tour. 25 years (where did it go?) later I was back at the same venue to see "Thin Lizzy" supported by Diamond Head. Both bands were great and on the back of the gig I reinvested in Borrowed Time and Canterbury and also purchased All Will Be Revealed (and the newly released What's in Your Head).

It is unsurprisingly pretty different from the previous early classics but I really liked it from start to finish none the less. Like What's in Your Head I would not say it's not the best CD I've ever heard hence not 5 stars but it is good and well worth a listen if you like your rock heavy but tuneful with good vocals and great guitar work.

Like many others looking back to the NWOBHM it's difficult to understand how Diamond Head did not make it really big as their greatest hits cd would be hard to better by ANY of their contemporaries. Glad to see with their most recent couple of cd's all this time later Diamond Head are still making music well worth listening to which is no mean achievement.

WHATS IN YOUR HEAD
WHATS IN YOUR HEAD

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Modern Rock CD., 1 Oct. 2008
This review is from: WHATS IN YOUR HEAD (Audio CD)
Diamond Head were the first live band I ever saw back in 1982 at the Hammersmith Odeon on the Borrowed Time tour. 25 years (where did it go?) later I was back at the same venue to see "Thin Lizzy" supported by Diamond Head. Both bands were great and on the back of the gig I reinvested in Borrowed Time and Canterbury and also purchased What's in Your Head (and All Will Be Revealed.)

It is unsurprisingly pretty different from the previous early classics but I really liked it from start to finish none the less. It's not the best CD I've ever heard hence not 5 stars but it is good and well worth a listen if you like your rock heavy but tuneful with good vocals and great guitar work.

Like many others looking back to the NWOBHM it's difficult to see how Diamond Head did not make it really big as their greatest hits cd would be hard to better by any of their contemporaries. Glad to see with their most recent couple of cd's all this time later Diamond Head are still making music well worth listening to which is no mean achievement.