Profile for E. M. Cusack > Reviews

Content by E. M. Cusack

E. M. Cusack (North East England, UK)

Not Quite White
Not Quite White
by Simon Thirsk

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Strategies and Welsh Cakes, 14 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Not Quite White (Paperback)
This book's clever construction and nifty narrative impress from beginning to end.

Thirsk has peppered his debut novel with philosophy, possibilities, poetry and politics (including personal and sexual). It's packed with humour, rounded characters and begs to be turned into a TV drama or film.

There is more than one love story to follow because the author is in love with life, literature, language, Wales...and love itself.

The best novel I've read in ages. It had me crying on public transport!

Who Killed Martin Hannett?: The Story of Factory Records' Musical Magician
Who Killed Martin Hannett?: The Story of Factory Records' Musical Magician
by Colin Sharp

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely Biog of a Manc Musical Magician, 23 Sept. 2007
I was looking forward to reading this and once in my hands I read it very swiftly. I thoroughly enjoyed it and well as being moved by it. I liked the two narrative voices: past and present. The two were needed in order to distance the author from his past but by having them Colin Sharp made the past come alive.

Sharp captures the times he writes about well: the sounds the looks and the smells. The descriptions of heroin use were so graphic and reminded me of Trainspotting. As with Welsh's classic, I wanted to look away from some of the descriptions but I couldn't stop myself from reading on.

Colin Sharp is a historian of punk, new wave as well as of Manchester. The story needed to be written and those involved should be pleased it's been written in such a human way. The author abviously cared about Martin and it comes through in his writing.
To be read before or after you watch the film "Control".