Profile for Vic > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Cyberjammies Black Berry Blush Print Women's Pyjamas Short Lilac Mix Size 12
Cyberjammies Black Berry Blush Print Women's Pyjamas Short Lilac Mix Size 12

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and light, 22 Jun 2014
Perfect for the summer months, these fit as expected. Material is nice and soft. Numerous washes later and they've kept their shape and colour as if still new. No complaints here.

Rue Owl Print Soft Satchel in Light Pink -- SWANKYSWANS®
Rue Owl Print Soft Satchel in Light Pink -- SWANKYSWANS®

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't ask for more, 22 Jun 2014
Have used this everyday going to and from work since I bought it and it's doing pretty well. Stitching is solid, zips work fine and the strap is resilient to numerous adjustments. It's been admired by a few people who decided they want a bag similar. For the price (£8.99 at the time) this was a great buy. Also holds up to rain quite well.

TWO ROW STUDDED LEATHER BELT - Black (Medium (32 to 34" Waist))
TWO ROW STUDDED LEATHER BELT - Black (Medium (32 to 34" Waist))
Offered by HotShuffle

4.0 out of 5 stars TWO ROW STUDDED LEATHER BELT - Black (Medium (32 to 34" Waist)), 22 Jun 2014
Seems to be good quality for a decent price, and fit pretty near perfectly (I'm size 10 - 12). Only downside is that the studs don't quite come around to the front enough.

Ladies Cargo Combat Work Trousers Sizes 10 to 20 (12, Black)
Ladies Cargo Combat Work Trousers Sizes 10 to 20 (12, Black)
Offered by sakclothing

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd, 22 Jun 2014
I wanted a decent pair of trousers for work (for a rather physical job) and thought these would fit the bill. Bog standard work pants. I'm sure the material would be robust enough, or so it seems, but the sizing ... I have never seen trousers cut in quite such an odd way before.

Who are these meant to fit? I took note of some of the reviews and bought a 12 as I'm a size 10 to 12. Well, the legs fit like a very small 10 with barely room to move, but the waist fits like a roomy size 18, at least! I have no idea why these are cut in such a peculiar way. Not even a belt can redeem these. I'd need to stuff two cushions down my front before pulling a belt around them.

"How does the product fit?" I'm asked in a little drop menu above this review entry. There's no option for both too small and too large!

I should have paid even more attention to the previous reviews about the larger waist.

Very, very strange trousers.

Veritas
Veritas

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it a lot..., 5 May 2014
This review is from: Veritas (Kindle Edition)
This was a pretty enjoyable read. Very much just a romance, but then that's not a bad thing when you prefer that style, and I do.

It took me a little while to warm to the characters, but once I did I was sad to see them go when I'd finished the book. They were both interesting, and different enough from each other to understand their motivations and the attraction between them. I 'got' why they were into each other and felt invested in the relationship.

There was a sensitive theme in the book, but Grey didn't get too bogged down in angst, which I was grateful for. Given the circumstances of her past it wouldn't have surprised me for this to have played a larger part, and been an even bigger obstacle to the romance. It felt fairly naturally dealt with to me, however, and the tenderness shown to Grey by Lauren - and the author - really worked. There were definitely a few little melty-heart moments that I adored.

As the book did kind of plodge slowly to its final destination, I didn't give this the full 5 stars despite the fact it pretty much had everything in it I like in a romance - good characters, believable dialog, a naturally unfolding development of feelings, and a good amount of well written sex scenes. I just feel the author could have taken a few different turns, and cut down on some of the repetitiveness, then it would have been a bit more of a well rounded ride. It needed something more dynamic to happen I think, just to add an extra dimension.

Still, I enjoyed the journey more than expected. It didn't blow me away but it did leave me smiling and feeling like I'd invested my time pretty well

Better Off Red: Vampire Sorority Sisters Book 1
Better Off Red: Vampire Sorority Sisters Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely done..., 12 April 2014
This was a (mostly) light, fanciful, often silly, rather cute read.

Written well enough to fall into the 4.5 to 5 star category for me, I found myself enjoying this book very much. The characters were interesting and likable (except the ones that we were not meant to like, obviously), the dialog in keeping with the characters, ages, and situations. The premise was fun, the execution of it pretty near perfect (for me) even though it was somewhat predictably predictable.

Though the book began with a tad too much silliness and sexy shenanigans (and silly sexy shenanigans), the further I got with the book the more the story evolved, the emotions became more prominent, and the depth grew. The latter parts of the book jarred a bit with the beginning, as it threw in some fairly heavy complications and emotional situations that aren't normally found in what basically starts out as an erotic novel. It took a while to adjust to the change of pace, but in the end I found it only added to the overall enjoyment of the book.

Of course, I couldn't possibly comment on an 'erotic novel' without mentioning the romance and the sexy parts. The romance - though hastily embarked upon - was sweet, sexy, and believable. It was very, very cute in fact, but not in a bad way. The intimate scenes certainly achieved what they were probably written to achieve - titillating in parts, sensual in others, emotional in some, gratuitous here and there, but overall very well written. The growing affection and romance between the two main characters played out perfectly.

And have I mentioned how much I really liked Ginger and Camila?

I was completely surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I thought it was going to be a quick, silly, somewhat entertaining jaunt into fantasy territory, but I definitely got more than that out of it.

Ghosts of Winter
Ghosts of Winter

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read ..., 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ghosts of Winter (Kindle Edition)
I rather liked this book though I wasn't sure what kind of story I was in for when I began reading. It unfolded just right, following a journey from the fringes of possible depression to the clarity of hope and renewal. Though Ros could get a bit overly introspective at times it was realistic considering what she'd just been through. Her thoughts were understandable, though I'm glad the author didn't plunge the character too far past that line. It never got too much, or too heavy for me.

Anna was rather harder to understand due to the fact the book was written in first person from Ros' perspective, but that handily added to the confusion Ros had about her; it definitely worked within the context of the book. Anna was thoroughly intriguing and I would have liked to know more about her. More time with them spent together might have helped, or a bit more length to the book. A small quibble.

I've read reviews that insist the book was too descriptive in nature but I never felt that the description infringed on the story, it only enhanced it. It was in all the right places for the right reasons, and never struck me as superfluous. Rather than distract me from the story (as some overzealous description can) it only drew me further in. The same can be said of the flashes back in time. Rather than pull me too far away from the main story, the snippets served to add a little extra to the book without demanding too much attention. I also liked the way the snippets of the past were presented in little mini stories, rather than having the reader flash back and forth between them and the present. It might have become tedious if I'd been jerked around in time too much, but it was done well.

Overall this was a nice romance, with depth in the right places, and added extras that were enjoyable interludes. My favourite scene would probably have to be the mistletoe scene; it was perfectly done. In fact all of the intimate scenes were pretty spot on. And I love that sex was called sex, and desire wasn't shied away from and turned into/hidden behind something too mushy. I get tired of all the 'lovemaking' mush of American novels sometimes. It's nice to have characters express their desire with realism and words that leave no doubt what they want from each other.

Another thing I enjoyed was the fact it was set in my neck of the woods. Durham is definitely a lovely city and it was great to be able to visualise exactly what I was reading.

I'll probably read this again as there were many scenes in the story that I'd like to revisit, though I would have loved for the book to be lengthier, with more insight and time spent with the characters. Definitely a 4 to 4.5 book for me.

Grace Falls
Grace Falls

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet read, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Grace Falls (Kindle Edition)
A sweet romance with characters I liked and understood. The book seemed short, or rather quick to read, but maybe I was just enjoying something that didn't tax me too much. The setting was clear without being shoved down my throat with endless description. Support characters were interesting but not intrusive, and both leads were well written. The dialog didn't feel forced or intent on convincing me everybody in the world is a witty comic; it felt natural. In fact the writing reminded me of some of Robin Alexander's work - and that's definitely no insult.

A tighter edit would have fixed a few little annoyances, however. Grammar at times was a bit perturbing. Sentences here and there were kind of mixed and confused. And the punctuation needs work! A bit too frequently commas were either missing, or in the wrong place. It unfortunately made reading slightly jarring on occasion, but ...I still very much enjoyed the writing, and the story. The small problems didn't spoil the whole for me, but I still expect a better editing job when paying to read.

Definitely a fun, sweet little story, quibbles aside. I'll be sure to check out more work from this author.

The Crush
The Crush

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice journey, 29 July 2013
This review is from: The Crush (Kindle Edition)
I'm a big fan of Meagher's standalone books. They always pull me in, and with more pages to them than most lesbian romance novels they're definitely a satisfying read. Her main characters - for the most part - intrigue me and draw me in. This book certainly lives up to those previous standards.

Though at times situations were a little far-fetched in The Crush, the characters and setting enabled me to move past any little niggles I had with the storyline. The romance is sweet, their chemistry obvious. There was just a little bit of a spark missing in this book overall, however, that makes it a good solid 4 stars for me and not a 5. I can't put my finger on quite what was missing, but I felt something was (certainly in comparison to some of my favourites of Meagher's).

Still, it was an enjoyable read and had me dreaming of visiting Siena again one day. The region is spectacular and one visit is definitely not enough, so I can fully understand why Nicola falls in love with it as much as she falls for the delightful Chiara

Firefly
Firefly

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-wrenchingly exquisite, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Firefly (Kindle Edition)
This book was an intense, often heartbreaking, sometimes beautiful, exquisite read. It mesmerized me from the very beginning, starting out in the gun smoke of a desperate battle. Every page turned drew me deeper into the pain, the heartache, the loss of hope and destruction that engulfs these characters again and again. The thread of hope and possibility that runs through each awful calamity kept me reading, kept me reaching with Henry/Grace and Virginia for that moment of relief, for the promise of safety.

When Henry and Virginia finally meet I think I must have already been overwhelmed to the point of tears at least three times - most notably when something truly tragic happens to Virginia that left me stunned. She was ravaged of all hope, completely lost, but then Henry stumbles onto her land and that faint, almost translucent glimmer of hope flickers to life once again.

The book was written with intensity in some parts, but then flitted to a subtlety that made me read each word slowly, so I could take it in and feel these moments, these wonderful characters as they fought for life and love on the battlefields, against those that wish to oppress them, amidst the poignant words and paragraphs that pulled me so deeply into their world. Virginia and Henry/Grace were magnificently written - full, profound, lost, found, flawed and perfect. I could have read about them for hours more, days more, hell even weeks more.

I'm gushing and I know it, and I'm sure the novel is not perfect (certainly some people may just not find themselves as moved by the book) but for me it was a book I will not forget. It burned a hole in my brain somewhere, took a seat in the charred hollow, and will haunt me forever. Much like The Color Purple when I first read that, and like Fried Green Tomatoes when that also took me on a rollercoaster of life, death, love and hardship. This book surprised me and surpassed any expectations I might have begun with when I downloaded it.

This isn't your average 'lesfic' offering; it's not really lesfic at all to be fair as it encompasses so much more, it goes deeper than that. It's a tough ride, a battle. It drags you into a world and a time where life was very different and it doesn't sway from that or present easy options to initialize romance. There is romance - romance so perfectly and delicately done I felt lifted by those moments - but it's clawing its way out from under layers of oppression, from the thickness of grief and pain. This is no romp-a-thon; this is two women (two people) who find each other in the midst of devastation. The scenes between them often made me stop to catch my breath; not due to the usual sexual gymnastics in 'lesfic', but due to the things not done, not said, but deeply felt by both women.

The book blew me away, it devastated me at times but left my heart vibrating with hope, and I enjoyed every moment. I was truly captivated and enchanted by it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6