Profile for MsCleverClogs > Reviews

The Holistic Beauty Book: With Over 100 Natural Recipes for Beautiful Skin
by Star Khechara
Price: 10.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, excellent recipes!, 22 Sep 2013
Star is truly a Star, what a fabulous book with fabulous recipes! I had previously bought many DIY skincare books and almost always been disappointed. Either they contained ingredients that were only available to buy from the author, such as those written by Aromantic (which really infuriated me) or they contained recipes that don't work (emulsifying with beeswax?! doesn't work!).

The Holistic Beauty Book contains recipes that are fun, easy to follow and most importantly - they WORK. Once I found this book, I actually embarked on a career in natural skincare and haven't looked back. Star's knowledge and experience shine through the recipes in this book and it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that she also runs a successful online natural skincare school at Formula Botanica.

If you're going to buy one book to learn DIY skincare recipes, then buy this one. You won't be disappointed. The two reviewers who gave this book 1 star obviously didn't open the book in the first place!

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by William Sears
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, but don't expect perfect sleep!, 31 Jan 2011
I bought this book because I firmly believe in the school of Attachment Parenting and because I read all these wonderful reviews here on Amazon which convinced me that this was the book that would help me help my little baby sleep better. I launched myself at the sleep logs with gusto and found it extremely useful to keep written notes of how my son had slept - most of the time I was too sleep deprived to fully remember what had happened in the night so it helped keep track of what was going on.

We're now on Day 110 of the No-Cry Sleep Solution sleep logs - I kid you not - and my son has not once come close to sleeping through the night. He's now over 6 months old. Elizabeth Pantley makes claims about all babies being biologically capable of sleeping through the night from 4 months of age and this I would disagree with - what's this theory based on? Other schools of thought say 6 months, but if you ask me it's going to be different for every baby as each baby has different needs. Another criticism of the book (as other reviewers have mentioned) is that it's really too American and schmalzy, with not enough scientific references to back up all the statements made in it. I'm sure these references exist, I just wonder whether the US market would generally be interested in them, which is probably why they've been omitted.

Saying that, this book has been an immense help to us in many ways - it helped us establish a good bedtime routine, it helped us teach our baby how to put himself to sleep (particularly for nap times) and it gave us the confidence to stand up to all the people who insist on leaving their babies to cry themselves to sleep and believe "Controlled Crying" or "Crying It Out" is good parenting, rather than simple neglect. I can't even count the number of times anymore that people have told me to leave my baby to cry, which I simply refuse to do. It's a breath of fresh air to see a book advocate tending to your baby's needs and going to them when they need you. After all, that's what our biology is programmed to do and Elizabeth Pantley is quite right in telling us to listen to our babies and our bodies, hormones and emotions. So I will continue with my sleep logs and hope that one day I'll get a full night's sleep! Elizabeth Pantley certainly gets my vote.

You Don't Have to Live with Cystitis
You Don't Have to Live with Cystitis
by L. Gillespie
Price: 8.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for interstitial cystitis, ok for common cystitis, 28 May 2004
I bought this book thinking that it would provide me with several hundreds pages of tips on how to prevent 'common' cystitis, but found myself confronted with many more chapters on interstitial cystitis. As a frequent sufferer of 'common' cystitis, I found that reading the chapters on interstitial cystitis started to make me paranoid and get thoroughly confused about symptoms, treatments and prevention techniques. While I can recommend this book wholeheartedly for those sufferers of interstitial cystitis and am sure that it will provide a wealth of information and comfort, I found the information for 'common' cystitis scarce amongst the chapters on interstitial cystitis, incontinence, pregnancy and bladder cancer.