Profile for Vic > Reviews

Vic

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
LArobe Sleeve for MacBook Air 13 inch - Black + Wasabi
LArobe Sleeve for MacBook Air 13 inch - Black + Wasabi

5.0 out of 5 stars The 11" doesn't really slide around inside it which is nice, and it fits the 13" quite snug, 9 Nov. 2014
I use one for both my 11" and 13" Macbook Air. The 11" doesn't really slide around inside it which is nice, and it fits the 13" quite snug. Though my bag has taken a number of knocks, and is generally quite full of books at any given time, the laptops are in pristine condition. It's been almost a year since I purchased the first one, and about two months since I got the second. You'd be hard pressed to see the difference between them, even though I take the cases with me to work / uni every day. Very happy with this purchase.

Star Trek Bi-Fold Engineering Logo Wallet (Red)
Star Trek Bi-Fold Engineering Logo Wallet (Red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little wallet, 9 Nov. 2014
I was surprised at the quality of this. Colour hasn't rubbed off on my jeans even though I'm often in wet weather and it's kept in a tight pocket. It fits my debit card, credit card and two plastic ID cards, though I have to tuck the ID cards in the little pockets behind the change pouch and the card slips. It wouldn't really fit more than four plastic cards but that suits me fine. The third pocket on the right hand side is too tight for plastic cards, so I keep a cardboard loyalty card in it instead. Even when there's change in the coin pouch, it closes quite slim. Honestly could not be happier with this.

The Devil You Know: A Felix Castor Novel
The Devil You Know: A Felix Castor Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars The Devil You Know, 17 Feb. 2014
This is one of those books I picked up on a whim without knowing anything about, so I was completely floored when I actually read it.

Tightly written, well paced and sometimes surprising, I would recommend The Devil You Know to anyone interested in supernatural or crime. I wouldn't call it hard boiled by any stretch of the imagination, and it can dip into the silly / juvenile at points, but I never felt that detracts from the overall package.

The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression

5.0 out of 5 stars The Emotion Thesaurus, 17 Feb. 2014
As far as I'm concerned, this book is a vital piece of kit for any writer.

All of us know what emotions feel like and how we channel them, but sometimes when you want to convey something like frustration, guilt, or stress you can be hard pressed to come up with original authentic ways of expressing them. The Emotion Thesaurus is not a magic wand that will make you a better writer or better at character development, but it will definitely give the old grey matter a jump start when you're stuck for description.

The Werewolf of Paris: A Novel (Pegasus Crime)
The Werewolf of Paris: A Novel (Pegasus Crime)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Werewolf of Paris, 17 Feb. 2014
I'm normally hesitant to read older books because I find them to be ponderous and difficult to engage with. When I started The Werewolf in Paris I initially had the same feeling and skipped over tracts of what I considered non-sensical ramblings but I'm glad I kept going. After the (quite frankly awful) start, when it move away from reminiscing and into the life of Bertrand and Aymar, it really picked up and became a very engaging and powerful read.

The Werewolf in Paris is part horror story and part historical fiction. Set against the backdrop of the Franco-Prussian War and the ill-fated Paris Commune, I'd recommend it to history and horror buffs alike. Despite being a werewolf novel it's not got much gore, though plenty of blood, murder and mayhem.

The Word-Loss Diet: Professional Self-Editing Techniques for Authors (Writer's Craft Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Word-Loss Diet, 17 Feb. 2014
For such a small, cheap book I didn't expect much but I was pleasantly surprised. I've read a few dozen 'how to write' books but I still found some fresh information in The Word-Loss Diet. It mainly focuses on extraneous or 'crutch' words (as if the title didn't give away the focus) and I'd definitely recommend it for people like myself who are inexperienced in editing.

Curtsies and Conspiracies: Number 2 in series (Finishing School)
Curtsies and Conspiracies: Number 2 in series (Finishing School)

4.0 out of 5 stars Curtsies and Conspiracies, 17 Feb. 2014
Curtsies and Conspiracies is noticeably rougher than previous books by Gail Carriger but still packs in all the fun and charm. I tore through it in a couple of days and was glad to see the introduction of a familiar face in Lord Akeldama as well as the return of favourites like Captain Niall and Bumbersnoot. Carriger outdid herself with the ridiculous names this time around though, with Lord Dingleproops taking first prize.

I'd recommend any of Gail's Conspiracies / Parasol books to people who enjoy frivolous fiction and light-hearted adventure. I can't think of a book more perfect for winding down with after a stressful day if I'm to be honest and am really looking forward to the next in the series.

Rainbow's End
Rainbow's End

5.0 out of 5 stars Rainbows End, 31 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Rainbow's End (Kindle Edition)
In summary, it's a rich world you can really sink your teeth into with solid character arcs, a sensible if somewhat grandiose plot and it tied off quite nicely at the end.

I'd never read Vernor Vinge prior to getting this book so I wasn't sure what to expect but the near-future high-tech world it's set in is fascinating. I loved the idea of the wearable tech projecting an augmented reality straight onto your eyeballs, and little machines providing haptics to make that 'augmented reality' all the more real. That being said the world is not without its holes to pick if you search for them and if you're not familiar with computers you might see a word or concept which is unfamiliar but none of that is vital to the story.

Robert starts out as a pretty loathsome character, but I enjoyed exploring the world with him and thought overall he had a fairly solid character arc. All in all, the story is tight and it comes together well.

Love Minus Eighty
Love Minus Eighty

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Minus Eighty, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Love Minus Eighty (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't immediately sold on the style of the book since it jumps between multiple view points, but they were interwoven well and I really started rooting for each of the characters, despite their different goals and motivations. Will McIntosh has created an interesting, and very plausible futuristic world and then filled it with equally interesting characters who, more than once, reminded me of people I knew.

A decent summer read and a weird but wonderful romance. I would definitely recommend it for romance or sci-fi fans.

Rivers of London (PC Peter Grant Book Book 1)
Rivers of London (PC Peter Grant Book Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rivers of London, 15 July 2013
One of the most enjoyable books I've read in a while. Ben Aaronovitch's style treads the line somewhere between Neil Gaiman and Jim Butcher.

PC Grant, the poor officer who gets dragged into the madness by a chance encounter with a ghost, is just plain likeable. The supporting characters of Nightingale: his mentor and CO, Lesley: His colleague and friend and Stephanopoulos: the no-nonsense Case Manager are equally memorable and unique. It also really shines through that the author is a native Londoner in his effortless recreations of the various locations - though maybe I picked up on that more being familiar with London myself.

I cannot recommend this book enough. After having read it I immediately went and bought both its sequels and have since devoured them in a frenzy of late night and commuter bus reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3