Profile for Carl Patrick > Reviews

Content by Carl Patrick

Carl Patrick (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Batten Throw Cream / Ivory 50x60, Large 1 Seater Chair/Sofa / Bed Blanket 100% Cotton
Offered by HomeBeddingStore

2.0 out of 5 stars Not big enough, 13 Feb 2013
Good quality admittedly, but not nearly big enough for a single armchair as advertised. If you want to cover an armchair, I recommend you get the next size up cos if you need to send anything back it has to be originally packaged (duh, how are you supposed to know whether it fits if you haven't taken it out of its packaging?) They charge u £1.50 to repackage it plus you have to pay the cost of posting!
All in all, very disappointing. On the plus side, it arrived within a couple of days of ordering (hence the two stars in total.)

Slabscape : Reset
Slabscape : Reset
by S. Spencer Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb!, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Slabscape : Reset (Paperback)
Anyone with a sense of humour and a yearning for great sci-fi that brims with brilliant new ideas will enjoy this novel.

Samsung BD-E8500 3D Smart Blu-ray Disc Player with 500GB HDD and Built-in Wi-Fi (New for 2012)
Offered by Mr LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmm Loving It!, 2 Jan 2013
I bought this product from Curry's, so not from Amazon, and maybe I'm lucky or I have a fully updated model, but I plugged it in, it detected my WiFi and quickly updated itself so I have full access to BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc, no problem. The sound and picture quality are excellent and I even get to watch all the HD channels now that I couldn't before.

Things to be aware of though, that they don't tell you...
1. To sync your TV with the new remote control, you need to add a zero to the 2 digit code it gives you. My TV is an Hitachi 32" HD and the code it gives in the manual is 60, so make it 060 and it works perfectly, so now I don't need any other remote!
2. To record a programme in the future, find it on the Guide using the remote and then enter it - this gives you an option to Record. Enter that and it automatically sets the timer. Couldn't be easier! However, the accompanying booklet doesn't seem to mention this for some reason.
3. I was told by the assistant in Curry's that I would need an HDMI cable and stupidly paid £20 for one. It wasn't necessary - it plays well enough with the cables provided! As it happens the HDMI cable I bought was faulty, which caused a few frustrations to begin with. I've taken it back and ordered a better one off of Amazon for £3.95 (even tho I probably don't need one, but I would like to see if the picture is even better using one).

A problem that I haven't been able to resolve yet, is how to change the screen aspect size using the new remote. I am still having to use the TV's remote to do this when, on the occasion, it plays a DVD at the wrong aspect. If anyone knows how to do this on the new remote, please share!

I have had no problems playing DVDs or playing recorded programmes whatsoever and long may this continue.

All in all, a great product.

Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook
Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook
Offered by Apple4Less

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Apple product (as far as I can tell), 29 Dec 2012
Having read the reviews, I was worried that it might not be an Apple original product considering it is half the price it is in the Apple store - but I needn't have worried. I ordered this from seller VG Deals and it arrived in less than 2 days and is the genuine Apple product as far as I can tell. It came in a sealed box with the usual lead plus an extension cable plus an additional adaptor for use in the USA. It works perfectly too! Would highly recommend this product from this supplier.

The Werepires Book 1 (The Beginning Book1)
The Werepires Book 1 (The Beginning Book1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Story yes, writing no., 16 Aug 2012
The story has definite potential and this alone kept me reading to the very end but oh dearie me, had the author actually re-read it or heaven forbid, actually had it proof-read and then edited, it would've been so much better. There are not just mistakes on every page, there are mistakes on every line and in one part a whole chunk of it has been repeated. Come on Mr Harding, get a grip and get yourself a decent proof-reader and editor and you might have something worthwhile reading.

Curtains
Curtains

5.0 out of 5 stars Encore!!!, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: Curtains (Kindle Edition)
This is the 3rd Drew Thomas book I have read and as with the two previous books I have been thoroughly entertained and drawn into a slightly weird, kinky, dark, humorous world full of amazing characters, twisted plots (or should that be twisted characters and amazing plots?) and a fast paced narration that keeps the reader gripped from page one. Loved this and can't wait to read another.

Cross Dressed to Kill
Cross Dressed to Kill

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and Macabre, 20 Feb 2012
Absorbing and entertaining - a thoroughly good read. A well-crafted tale of a cross-dressing, hair-styling serial killer. It gave me sleepless nights, not because it's frightening or disturbing, altho you could say it was both in parts!, but because I couldn't put it down and read it well into the night on two successive evenings. Lucas's style is both sympathetic and hilarious and as a result I was firmly on the side of the main character, even if he did murder a good few of his clients. I can't wait to read more by this author.

Von Dred
Von Dred

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly entertaining read., 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: Von Dred (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book on Kindle and am very pleased I did so. This is a new twist on the usual vampire novels that abound at the moment, taking the story of William Smythe from before he was sired (before WW2), his family life and his struggles with his sexuality, right up through his siring and his subsequent struggles coming to terms with his bloodlust, his loves, losses and his kills etc right up to present day. I was so engrossed in it that I immediately bought the sequel (The Book of Jacob) and am now sorry that I've finished them both already. Eagerly awaiting the 3rd book. (The Book of Rolf, maybe? - now that would be an interesting one!)

The Case Of The Missing Boyfriend
The Case Of The Missing Boyfriend

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-crafted and enjoyable read, 20 Jan 2011
I've read all of Mr Alexander's novels (I think!) and loved every single one of them. The Case of the Missing Boyfriend is no exception! CC, the main character, is quite a gal with a great job, lovely flat in London, fabulous friends (gay and straight), an out-of-control mother and a loyal pussycat at home who often appears to be her only source of comfort in a wildly disturbing world of mad parties, (kinky) business trips abroad and speed-dating. However, CC has had quite a few knockbacks where men are concerned and with her biological clock ominously ticking, all she really wants to do is settle down with the right man, move to the country and live the good life. But, the main ingredient (the boyfriend!) is of course missing from her life and continues to elude her despite her friends' constant encouragement to forget her hangups about casual sex and to seize any opportunity whilst she still can. Often hilarious, often rather sad and poignant, but always entertaining, this is another wonderfully crafted story full of interesting characters who come alive to such a degree that you feel as if you have just taken part in a scene yourself. Incredible! Does CC find that elusive perfect man? Will her mother marry that 23 year old Moroccan toy boy? Can her best friend Mark make it work with Ian? Will Danny ever recover from his depression? Read the book and find out. You won't be disappointed.

Sleight Of Hand (50 Reasons series)
Sleight Of Hand (50 Reasons series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Sleight of Hand..., 8 Nov 2010
The fifth and possibly final book in the hugely entertaining and fabulously thought-provoking 50 Reasons to Say Goodbye series that will have you howling with laughter, cringing with embarrassment, touched to the heart and simply thankful that you found and read this series. In Sleight of Hand, our hero Mark has grown up but his life is no less complicated - quite the opposite in fact - and Nick Alexander has created a wonderful vehicle in which all of us can take a wonderful roller-coaster ride of emotions and examine what we all have, or lack or need in our lives. I cried at the end - whether it was from joy or sadness, you'll just have to read the book to find out.

Page: 1 | 2