Profile for E. Tring > Reviews

Content by E. Tring

E. Tring (Cardiff, UK)

Alone in Berlin (Penguin Modern Classics)
Alone in Berlin (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Hans Fallada

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 4 Dec. 2010
I bought this book on a whim as it caught my eye but I am so glad I did, its one of the most thought provoking and dare i say it, scary books I have read in a long time. It was a little slow to start with I thought but it turns out that is important set up for what follows. Based on a true story it follows several characters and how their lives cross and merge as the central characters start a campaign of 'resistance' against the Nazi regime in 1940 in Berlin after the death of their son. I won't give a further synopsis of the story as others have done this, but I will say this was very thought provoking and really had me wondering what I may have done in some of the situations the characters found themselves in. It really was almost an eyewitness account of the way things were in Berlin at that time, with the Nazis in power and no one being able to trust anyone - its such a scary thought and in such recent history. I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in this period as having studied this period of history I found this 'real life' experience of ordinary people caught in an extraordinary situation really rounded out my knowledge on the subject.

Stars Are Blind [2 Track CD] [CD 1]
Stars Are Blind [2 Track CD] [CD 1]
Offered by CDandVinyl

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, 7 Aug. 2010
OK, I know the track was released 4 years ago (can it be that long? - yikes!) but heres my review anyhow :)

I actually REALLY liked this song when I first heard it on the radio and had no idea it was Paris Hilton until I saw the video on one of the music channels and I was all 'she looks like Paris Hilton' before realising it was her!!

Back to the song - OK I don't think she is going to be getting a Grammy for this but credit where its due, its catchy and singalongable and made/makes a great summer tune and it always seems to give me a good feeling and thats what music is about. For me it evokes those long summer, carefree days when you used to get ages off when you were in college and could just hang out with your friends (sadly I haven't had the entire summer off for a very long time)

If you want something hard hitting, edgy and original then don't buy this, but if you want a fun, catchy, hummable while you are doing the washing up type of song, then buy it right now!

Cruise Ship SOS
Cruise Ship SOS
by Dr. Ben MacFarlane

5.0 out of 5 stars The Intrepid Dr Ben Strikes Again!, 17 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Cruise Ship SOS (Paperback)
I have nearly gone pop waiting for this to be published! After reading Holiday SOS last summer I couldn't wait to hear about Ben becoming a ships Dr and sailing the 7 seas.

This was as entertaining as the last one and had some terrific characters with interesting stories (all with names changed for obvious reasons - Ben is a Dr after all) but what I found equally as fascinating is how a cruise ship actually works and what is going below decks.

I don't want to give too many specific examples as I am mindful of giving too much away and spoiling it for some people, but I loved the senior Dr on the ship - Edward Marlborough, what a lovely guy the sounded like :) Also the wonderful Mrs Philip and Mr Baxter who was determined to make it to Singapore - you will have to read the book to find out why of course.

This would be a terrific holiday/beach/airport read (I was supposed to be taking mine on holiday on the 1st July but they published it early and I just couldn't contain myself! I read it in less than 24 hours!)

Oh and Dr Ben, if you happen to read this, maybe it would be worth considering staying out of Egypt?

Offered by sellatronic

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Fairies!, 28 Dec. 2008
Disney Fairies: Tinker Bell (Nintendo DS)

Really very good, I am enjoying playing it immensely! The graphics are gorgeous and the game play is not too complicated (although I am an adult so have no excuses!!)

I bought this game for a bit of a fun diversion while I am studying and it was a good choice.

Tinkerbell is really cute and you get to fly her around, talk to other fairies and assist with the season changes by collecting items either by looking for them or playing games with the other fairies who give you the items for helping them decorate ladybirds or collect dewdrops.

Also as a reward for helping change the season the Minister for that season will also give you a gift of clorhing so you collect other little dresses that you can change Tink into which is kind of fun!

Apparently now I have been through a complete set of seasons I will be able to start making my own clothes and even start giving them to the other fairies (they will start wearing your designs in the game which is really cool!) So this is next for me - I only had to turn it off today as I got the battery warning on the DS :(

The only thing I will mention, is not exactly a negative, but something to watch for anyhow, is that you do need to be able to read as a lot of the instructions are written as are the conversations with the other fairies where you get importnat instructions. My niece is almost 8 and I wouldn't give it to a child any younger than her because of this reading element.

I would recommend this game to anyone who loves Tinkerbell and the Disney Fairies and enjoys colourful and well thought out (and cute) game play - I am looking forward to playing the rest of the game.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2009 6:27 PM BST

Disney's Enchanted (Nintendo DS)
Disney's Enchanted (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Hauseinkauf

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 30 July 2008
I think this is a fab little game and am enjoying it immensely although I had no idea how hard it is to slay trolls! hahahaha

It does require a decent level of reading ability and also you do need some dexterity to complete the missions and slay the trolls etc, therefore I would recommend this game for ages 7 and up because of this.

Its pretty much a rethrough of the movie which is very nice and the main characters are Gisele, Prince Edward and Pip and you get to play as those, obviously all the other characters are in there as well - Narissa, The bus lady and Robert

A really great game with really good graphics!