Profile for liam.wilkinson@btinternet.com > Reviews

Content by liam.wilkinson...

liam.wilkinson@btinternet.com (UP NORTH, ENGLAND)

Notes From A Small Island
Notes From A Small Island
by Bill Bryson

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh from the Suitcase..., 5 Jun. 2000
There is a mutual agreement between my family and myself that Bill Bryson wrote 'Notes from a Small Island' while hiding in one of our suitcases. When I read the book, I was amazed at the likeness between his experiences and ours. Actually, I believe this to be the feeling that every reader got who has travelled these Isles. It is very rare that anyone can tell such truths and remain comical - this is a rarity. If you haven't read the book by now, I suggest you do so as you'll never frown again. Perfect for train journeys and full of one liners for dinner parties.

BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB
BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB

5.0 out of 5 stars The music equivalent of a Sky Digital remote!, 5 Jun. 2000
This review is from: BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB (Audio CD)
If you look carefully, there is an advert on television for a furniture polish. It features, in full view, a Sky Digital remote. It has become a design classic - known wherever you go in Britain. Buena Vista Social Club is becoming one of these classic items of today's 'cool' homes. You'll hear it playing at any dinner party in Notting Hill (the place, not the film) and if you have a South American themed living room, you'll no doubt have this CD box open all the time. The fact is, forget its status, BVSC is a great album. It's full of sleepy tunes, Latin foot stompers and tabacco-stained voices; and if you play it loud and shut your eyes, it's as if they're all there with you thanks to Ry Cooder's incredible production work. I'm fortunate to own all the other Buena Vista off-shoot albums as well, all of which (especially Ruben's) are simply magic. Buy this 'cool' album to put with your 'cool' Digital remote and buy it from 'cool' Amazon because it's on the 'cool' internet.

A Secret History ... The Best Of The Divine Comedy
A Secret History ... The Best Of The Divine Comedy
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Right, what's next?, 5 Jun. 2000
It's true, 'Best Of' compilations are often a pain in the left knee. Either they're in a terrible order or they feature a Christmas hit slap bang in the middle. I'm yet to buy a John Lennon collection that doesn't feature Happy Xmas (War is Over) as track 6, and when you're listening in July, hearing John and Yoko whisper 'Happy Christmas' is quite depressing. Luckily, there is no Christmas song on this album and I can safely say that it's the best 'Best Of' I've ever bought. Generous in its amount, all the songs stand out as 'the best Divine Comedy song'. The fact is, there is no best Divine Comedy song, but if I were held at nasty-carrot point 'Songs of Love' and 'Frog Princess' would be my choice. I'm also unaware of a fun alternative to listening to 'I Went to a Marvellous Party' which is listener-friendly to all those who think Rave is real music. The question is, 'right, what's next?'