Profile for Jan Onderwater > Reviews

Content by Jan Onderwater

Jan Onderwater "Jan Onderwater" (Rundumhausen)

Foyle's War - Series 7 [DVD]
Foyle's War - Series 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Kitchen
Offered by rsdvd

5.0 out of 5 stars I have only one regret, 4 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Foyle's War - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this series seven. Like hard cheese or good red whine Foyle is getting better with age. The only issue I have is that the series seven is again only three episodes. But that has nothing to do with this DVD set. I love the quality of the acting and writing. Foyle getting a new career is brilliant.
So 5 stars.

Some Remarks
Some Remarks
by Neal Stephenson

5.0 out of 5 stars A collection of Works, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Some Remarks (Hardcover)
I do not yet own a copy; however know several articles that are in this bundle. His essay on deep sea cables is worth the book alone. Mother Earth, Mother Board. It was first published in Wired magazine and one of the best articles I read in my years of subscription to Wired.
It describes the history of communications cables, and the laying of them in modern day. It reads like an adventure novel.
I Admit, I am a big fan Neal Stephenson's work, however it is nice that previous very hard to find articles he wrote for several publications are now available in a nice bundle. I think Stephenson is one of the truly great writers of our day, and largely underestimated in literary circles (especially in Europe) due to his chosen field and the adversary of technology and mathematics with this crowd.
For me Neal Stephenson is on par with Ernest Hemmingway or Graham Greene.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2012 1:21 PM BST

Hobo with a Shotgun [DVD]
Hobo with a Shotgun [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rutger Hauer
Offered by wantitcheaper

1.0 out of 5 stars Please Shoot ME!, 7 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Hobo with a Shotgun [DVD] (DVD)
Please Shoot me , rather than making me watch this movie again. I have seen a lot of trash, but this takes the biscuit. It was the first movie in over a decade that I did not watch till the end. It is not the violence, not the blood and gore, but just the complete rubbish of the whole movie.
My Grandfather once told me that it is not the idiots who make it, it is the idiots who buy it. Well, Gramps, hate to tell you, but I certify.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2014 11:46 AM GMT

Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA
Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA
by Tim Weiner

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good book on the CIA, 2 Jan. 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is stunning to see that an organization that has gotten such an image has such a poor track record. The blundering, the incompetence and the sheer stupidity is amazing. The CIA is like any other organization. I worked with and for many big organizations and am always surprised about the mistakes made and the duck-tape & tie-wrap solutions these organizations use.
The CIA is, according to this book, no different.
A must read for every fan of spy novels, since it shows how different the real world is.

Star Trek: Enterprise - The Full Journey [DVD]
Star Trek: Enterprise - The Full Journey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scott Bakula

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality video, 12 Dec. 2011
The series itself is great, and am happy to see it again, however the image quality is poor. I do not know what it is. Either compression or poor analogue originals. The picture tends to drag behind the movement. It is nowhere near what is possible with DVD.
I Also find it quite annoying that copyright owners still seem to think it a good idea to warn against piracy on the DVD. I Bought the box, so why pester me with it!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2012 1:18 PM GMT

Reamde
Reamde
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars This review is on the audio book edition of the book., 13 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Reamde (Audio Download)
I really enjoyed the reading of Reamde by Malcolm Hillgartner. A rollercoaster of a story. The story by Neal Stephenson is thriller set in a world where internet, mobile devices and gaming is as normal as cars and houses. This is true for most of us, but not in literature and movies where, strangely, computers, internet and even mobile phones are still a bit special however this seems to be changing. I have been a fan of Neals since Crypronomicon came out and have read up on his older work since. Crypronomicon remain my favorite by this author however this book is now on second place behind it. Preferring it to the Baroque Cycle despite the absence of Bobby Shaftoe, who remains my all time favorite character in literature. Reading some other reviews where people I notice people who write that the storyline contains unlikely events. Is Moby Dick likely? Well, I wonder, a thriller or a novel with likely events, that would be like, Booooring. A thriller is not about being likely events, it is about being exiting, eventful, characters who are larger than life, fast paced.
Malcolm Hillgartner has a great voice and is a fine interpreter of the story who does the accents of the characters in such a way that it almost feels like an radio drama. I more and more became to like audio books since they enable me to read a book in the car. I dislike radio and always enjoyed reading in the train, however, traveling by car each day does not allow me to read a printed book.
Too bad that Amazon puts the reviews of the Kindle, the Printed and the audio book edition all together, since especially the audio edition is really a different thing.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2015 6:44 PM BST