Profile for wayne > Reviews

The Best of Tom Jones
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 10.73

5.0 out of 5 stars what a voice!, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Best of Tom Jones (Audio CD)
It's funny how certain songs can trigger memories. I was at a pub recently and the singer was belting out "It looks like i'll never fall in love again", the whole audience were up and singing along to the chorus. Me? I was transported back to my childhood days remembering my somewhat inebriated Dad singing the same one Christmas. It's fair to say I had a tear in my eye.
Tom Jones IS a legend, still as good today but for me it's the golden oldies, all here except for "Funny Familiar Forgotten Feelings", but that's not a problem as i have it on a various "60's" compilation anyway. His powerful voice is incredible and listening at full volume sends a chill through me.
Fantastic!!

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 9 Oct 2011
An amazing piece of kit! Like a few comments here it arrived days before the official release date, and pre-loaded with your details, so a big THANKS to Amazon for that.
The device is sleek, stylish, economical and VERY easy to use. I didn't even need to read the built in instructions, although they are handy if you're a new comer to the Kindle like me.
Downloading is fast and ready to use and there are loads of books, magazines, newspapers to choose from. Me? I'm just gonna build up my Stephen King collection!!
So, if it's an affordable Kindle, easy on the eye and brain (!) then I definately say this is the one to go for.
A real gem!!!

The Incredible Hulk: The Complete Seasons 1-5 [DVD]
The Incredible Hulk: The Complete Seasons 1-5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Bixby
Price: 27.40

5.0 out of 5 stars the original AND the best!, 5 Oct 2011
okay, first things first. The package is different to the one i ordered, its smaller and more compact and the discs are slimline cases comprising 2 discs in each (making a total of 24). This doesn't bother me in the slightest as it will fit on my shelf better but for those of you expecting the big bulky box as shown above just be aware.
Now for the TV show...I remember watching this when i was a kid and LOVED it, and yes I did get scared on one or two occasions lol, it's what my Saturday nights were all about, not like now with the endless run of pathetic reality TV shows. This IS TV at its best!
I loved everything about it, the opening theme music still goes through me, but it's the central character Bruce Banner that drags out my sympathy, being in the wrong place at the wrong time mostly searching for the cure that will rid him of his alter ego once and for all, Lou Ferigno was and IS the Hulk. Forget about the 2 "films" i nearly cried after seeing the mess Ang Lee did with his, the second film just about redeemed itself) but if you really want to see how the Hulk is supposed to be then stick with the original and the best.
I just can't wait to get stuck in to this amazing TV show.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2014 8:43 PM GMT

The Howling
The Howling
by Gary Brandner

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read!, 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Howling (Paperback)
I first read this novel, after seeing the movie on video, some 25 years ago and back then i bought the book straight away. I know that books are always different in some ways to the movie, but this was a completely different story all together! I have to say I didn't think any horror novellist could scare me as much as Stephen King does but boy was I wrong. This book is terrifying! I slept with the lights on most nights after reading this and i finished it in just 3 days! I then found myself rushing out to buy the follow up "Return of the Howling" a week later.. How i never ended up in therapy is beyond me as that book is even scarier!!
One thing though, its not a problem for me but you might find the front cover different to the one stated above, don't be put off by it. (I'm just assuming it's the original cover by the publishers before the film was made)
All in all, a blood curdling, fantastic read!

Quantum Leap - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Quantum Leap - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scott Bakula
Offered by Callums Cheaper Items - CUSTOMER IS PRIORITY NUMBER 1
Price: 50.95

5.0 out of 5 stars one giant leap......, 2 Oct 2011
Wow! First of all a MASSIVE thank you to Amazon and Everythingsfantastic for such a speedy delivery. As stated in my feedback i wasn't expecting this item until after the 4th of October so imagine my gobsmacked face when it turned up on the 1st!!! Just 2 days after placing the order!!
Anyway, i haven't seen any of the episodes yet, this review is based on what i remember some 20 odd years ago when it was first aired on TV and, next to "The X-Files" it's one of the best TV shows of the 1990's, the episodes varying every week from hilarious, weird, and all of them utterly fantastic, not knowing where, when, or sometimes how (!), he was going to turn up.
Watching the discs will only enhance my viewing pleasure by conjuring up those memories of a truly brilliant TV show. If you haven't seen it, or are indeed too young to remember it then i can heartily reccomend it to anyone and everyone.

Thanks again Amazon for the speedy delivery, this is one happy chappy!! :)

The Lost Room [DVD][2006]
The Lost Room [DVD][2006]
Dvd ~ Julianna Margulies
Price: 9.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 25 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Lost Room [DVD][2006] (DVD)
How can a show of this calibre not be commissioned for a second season, particularly after the way it ended? It's an absolute blast from beginning to end!
Is it just me or did the producers try to give it a "24" type feel, because, to me Joe Miller seemed to wear the same clothes throughout the series, and he had a full stubble by the end of it, if that is the case then it was a stroke of sheer genius!!
The only gripe I have is that Peter Krauses acting is a little bit, amateur, for want of a better word, well when you consider his performance in "Six Feet Under" anyway. But never mind, I really loved this show, every episode is jaw droppingly wow, and never knowing who to really trust just adds to the tension of it all.
I watched the entire show in just under 6 hours it's that good!

Dark Ride [2006] [DVD]
Dark Ride [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Renna
Price: 10.16

4.0 out of 5 stars be afraid...., 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: Dark Ride [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
this film won't win any points for originality, or oscars for performances which to say are somewhat laughable, i can't help feeling that some of the actors were reading straight from an autocue!
But, putting that aside it is a dam good fright fest, lots of creepy scares and plenty of gore, one scene really freaked me out i had to look over my shoulder! (you'll see what i mean!)
It is a tad on the short side with a very confusing ending (to me anyway)...it just seemed to end and that's it. Roll end creds! As i said, hardly original but for a good old scary movie it does what it's meant to do.

Weeds - Seasons 1-4 [DVD]
Weeds - Seasons 1-4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elizabeth Perkins
Price: 37.65

4.0 out of 5 stars get hooked!!, 20 Sep 2011
This review is from: Weeds - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
i wasn't too sure about this, due to the fact that i'd never even heard of it before but through word of mouth from friends who had seen it said it was brilliant. So i decided to take the plunge and buy the four season box set.
I will start by saying that the episodes are short, some 25 mins in length, and in the case of the first season, mediocre acting, somewhat dull characters who don't look as though they belong....
Stick with it though because it does get better, i found myself going straight to the second season after the first and pretty much watched them back to back. I can honestly say though that season three is quite simply....AWESOME! It's very, very funny (the fart lighting scene has to be the funniest thing i've ever seen in a TV show), very, very sexy and the whole season is full of "OMG" moments, the characters, scripts, and direction are, compared with season one, flawless. I am halfway through S3 and am looking forward to see what Mrs Botwin/Scotson comes up with next....Did i mention S3 is sexy? My eyes popped out of my head in a couple of scenes!
All in all the best way to describe this show is "Desperate Housewives on pot"! It'll never be a DH but the ladies would definately fit in on Wisteria Lane!

Insidious [DVD]
Insidious [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Wilson
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 3.88

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely bloody terrifying!, 20 Sep 2011
This review is from: Insidious [DVD] (DVD)
okay, don't be put off by the whole "haunted house-seen-it-all-before" scenario, given the first half of the half lulls you into thinking it's exactly that, but if you think you HAVE seen it all before think again. Like "Paranormal Activity" that made you jump out of your skin this film actually DOES! One scene, which i won't spoil for you might just have you hanging off the living room ceiling.
The first half of the film starts off well introducing us to a normal suburban family and right from the off the kids and the mother have a sense of dread about the place. One of the kids has an accident and then the film steps up a gear.... to the point of said family re-locating to another house and then the real terror begins.
It does get a bit silly in the second half in a "Poltergeist-y" kind of way but to me it adds to the whole creepiness of it all, again, some of these are truly creepy....
I actually sat in the dark by myself and watched the film thinking it wouldn't be all it's cracked up to be, don't make that same mistake, get some friends over, because this film will scare the brown stuff out of you.
Enjoy!

Fast & Furious 5 [DVD] [2011]
Fast & Furious 5 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Dwayne Johnson
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.89

4.0 out of 5 stars believe the hype...this film ROCKS!!, 13 Sep 2011
normally after a fourth sequal we'd be suffering franchise fatigue by now, hell i thought the series had slammed on the brakes after 2fast2furious but director Justin Lin gave it a much needed kick up the kyber with "Fast & Furious". I was curious to see how Dom Toretto was gonna get busted from the prison bus, and that is exactly where "Fast 5" picks up.....
Okay...the "negative" vibes (no pun intended!) out of the way first. The plot is a mess, the characters largely two dimensional and wooden at best and yes, recycled from past films as one viewer pointed out, but to me thats like meeting up with old friends, the direction is sometimes clunky and somewhat too erratic, there is a massive lull in the middle of the film that drags on way too long, The Rock as all the acting talents of a geriatric gibbon and Vin Diesel as the facial expressions of a baked bean.
But OMG!....I never thought i'd end up spending two hours of my life enjoying such celluloid delights as this! Quite simply THE best one yet! From the stunning train roberry, the macho driven testosterone punch up, to the eye popping climactic car chase which has to be seen to be believed, which in my opinion is on a par with "Bad Boys 2" it's that good. As i said apart from the brief lull between the action which there is plenty off I was perched on the edge of my seat during that.
It's pretty obvious that the film has been set up for F6 at some point down the line but seriously, if it's big bang action set pieces and a dam good thrill ride you're after, go and buy this.
Seriously Top Gear!! :)